PDA

View Full Version : Mayo to Grizzlies, Miller+Love to Wolves

bigdog
06-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Griz get Mayo, Jaric, Antoine Walker, and shit ESPN just went to commercials.

Wolves are getting Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Jason Collins, Brian Cardinal, and I don't remember

loveforthegame
06-26-2008, 11:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3463045

Mayo heads to Memphis, Love to Minnesota

By Chad Ford
ESPN.com

The Minnesota Timberwolves aren't holding onto O.J. Mayo for long.

Two league sources told ESPN.com that the Wolves have reached an agreement in principle with the Memphis Grizzlies that will send the draft rights of Mayo, Marko Jaric, Antoine Walker and Greg Buckner to the Grizzlies in return for the draft rights to Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal and Jason Collins.

The deal is a blockbuster for both teams. ESPN.com reported on Tuesday that the Wolves GM Kevin McHale was infatuated with Love, but felt that the team had to select Mayo and use him to acquire more assets.

In addition to landing Love, the Wolves get a sharp-shooting swingman in Miller who can help carry the scoring load from the perimeter. The deal is also a financial boon for the Timberwolves who get the bad contract of Jaric (three years, $21 million) off the books. Walker and Buckner's contracts are not guaranteed after this season.

The Grizzlies get the superstar they wanted in the backcourt in Mayo. The also rid themselves of Cardinal's bad contract (two years, $13 million). The Grizzlies now have a glut of guards on the team with Mayo, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry and Javaris Crittendon.

bigdog
06-26-2008, 11:48 PM
thanks for the link.

trade is good for both teams.

JamStone
06-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Memphis gets Adriana Lima??????

What a rip.

xtremesteven33
06-26-2008, 11:59 PM
I know Mayo hates this.

he wants to go to a big market team. haha from Minnesota to Memphis.

haha

Spurminator
06-27-2008, 12:06 AM
And so ends the Gay Love dynasty...

Crap, I just noticed I'm about the 18th person to post this. Please excuse my lack of originality.

Banzai
06-27-2008, 12:11 AM
:rollin from bad to worse.

MagnusKrauss
06-27-2008, 12:21 AM
good trade IMO.

the wolves got better with miller and love.

confined
06-27-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm just happy walker is going to another shitty team :lol

what an asshole

nil.ball
06-27-2008, 01:10 AM
Memphis gets Adriana Lima??????

What a rip.

I think the biggest winner tonight is the Grizzlies.
Their side line ticket price has just trippled over the last 5 hours. I mean can you imagine to bid for a chance to sit right next to the goddess? (this does no mean make jaric a god or a zeus) but can you imagine!!!??

NBA Junkie
06-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Kevin McHale has proven one more time what a bumbling idiot he really is.

You don't trade an NBA ready potential superstar for a role player, which is what Kevin Love is destined to become.

Miller may seem like a good pickup, but not for a rebuilding team like Minnesota.

Look for them to become the worst defensive team in the NBA come next season.

DazedAndConfused
06-27-2008, 08:56 AM
The T-Pups are going to get owned against any team with a legit 7 footer. How does McHale still have a job?

Side note, the Grizz have a very solid roster now. Way under the cap and loaded with promising young talent.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-27-2008, 08:57 AM
If I was a T-Wolve fan I would be pissed Mayo will be a nice player and Love will be at best a poor mans Brad Miller.

sribb43
06-27-2008, 09:29 AM
WTF....I thought the Grizz were only interested in dealing for expiring contracts....this makes the Gasol deal looking even like a bigger travisty

Walkers deal is expiring but Buckner has a player option in year 2010-11 + Jaric expires in 2010-2011.

Bruno
06-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Next trade is the rights to Mayo for the rights to Sun Yue.

thispego
06-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I expect thte timberwolves to be good next year, actually. Al Jefferson & Kevin Love with mmiller knocking down open shots. They got rid of toine toine and jaric too.

Adriana lima is hot, yes.

T Park
06-27-2008, 02:02 PM
So OJ Mayo is playing for the Lakers this year eh?

BacktoBasics
06-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Okafor would be a perfect fit in Memphis now. Not likely since its a bit early for the Grizz to start attracting FA talent but I think it would be a solid fit.

jack sommerset
06-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Nobody wants to play for Memphis. I feel bad for all who got traded there.

TheMadHatter
06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Grizzlies have really put themselves in a good position to rebuild quickly here.

PG: Conley/Lowry
SG: Mayo/Crittenton
SF: Gay
PF: Warrick
C: Gasol/Darko

Not a bad young core, and their salary for next season is around $42 million which is well below the cap. They will probably be a lottery team next season which means they can use a good draft pick on a C/PF prospect, and then in '10 they can go after a bigtime FA. They can have themselves a decent squad by as early as '10.

Just goes to show that maybe dumping Gasol wasn't such a bad move. They needed cap space and they got it. Crittenton and Gasol are both good prospects for them and Kwame is already off the team.