PDA

View Full Version : So now onto Free Agency

Biggems
06-27-2008, 12:11 AM
if Artest opts out, do we have a strong chance to get him? also, what are the chances of us getting JR Smith. If I had to choose, I would take Artest, cause of his total game and versatility.

I was a little disappointed that we didn't draft a big. I guess that means we will re-sign Thomas. I am not in the know, but I am willing to wager that Vaughn, Bonner, and even Udoka are on the trading block. I am sure that is a given, though. I would be completely stoked if we could trade away Vaughn and Udoka, while signing free agents Artest and JR Smith.

I don't really care if Gist makes the team or not. I hope we bring in Keith Brumbaugh and Marcus Dove to compete for a roster spot. I think Hairston may fight his way onto the team.

Here is our current post-draft Roster:

C - Oberto, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Mahimni
SF - Bowen, Udoka
SG - Manu, Barry
PG - Parker, Vaughn, Hill

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Well I don't think Artest is opting out.

I think the realistic guy to get is Kelenna Azubuike from Golden State.

Look at another young big that could be available, along the lines of a Patrick O'Bryant.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 12:13 AM
The Spurs will likely sign Pietrus.

Starters
1 Parker
2 Pietrus
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Thomas

Bench
1 Hill
2 Ginobili
2 Barry
3 Udoka
4 Mahinmi
4 Bonner
4/5 Oberto

IR
1 Vaughn
2 Hairston
3/4 Gist or a big

whitebust
06-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Kelenna Azubuike is probably the most realistic option for a wing player from FA

Biggems
06-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Marcus that sucks..........we need some size in the paint. being stuck with thomas and oberto completely blows.

btw, was anyone else besides me, completely shocked when Thompson went so early?

Biggems
06-27-2008, 12:16 AM
I am hearing that Artest wants to opt out and that the Spurs will make a huge run at him.

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Marcus that sucks..........we need some size in the paint. being stuck with thomas and oberto completely blows.

btw, was anyone else besides me, completely shocked when Thompson went so early?

Theres this 7 foot french kid that blocks shots like crazy.....

td4mvp21
06-27-2008, 12:20 AM
So are we assuming Finley and Horry retire?

I think we need another swingman and another big man. Who? I don't know :lol I wish Posey would opt out and the Spurs would go after him...

td4mvp21
06-27-2008, 12:20 AM
With Pop that would be like a two-in-one guard and powerfoward.

SequSpur
06-27-2008, 12:22 AM
I am tired of Oberto.

whitebust
06-27-2008, 12:23 AM
I am tired of Oberto.

oberto sucks. matt bonner as well

Biggems
06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
I forgot all about James Jones....wow. He has been the guy I have been targeting for the last month. I think he would make a great addition to the Spurs.

I still want to add another Big. Perhaps there is someone out there besides Diop (who Dallas seems to be coveting again).

SequSpur
06-27-2008, 12:26 AM
oberto sucks. matt bonner as well

didn't we already trade matt bonner and the coyote for 2 new beer sellers from New Orleans?

SKINNYPIMP210
06-27-2008, 12:57 AM
didn't we already trade matt bonner and the coyote for 2 new beer sellers from New Orleans?

No it was for a washing machine. We also got Monix as a part of the deal.

LMFAO!!! :lol

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2008, 01:03 AM
spurs better use that MLE + LLE this year.....

our bigs seriously need a backup, so does the wing imo....

Spurtacus
Artest, JR are my priorities. Azubukie and Pietrus are others I like.

Manuismyhomeboy
What about offering the MLE to Josh Childress? With their log jam at the 3 and with their young prospects up for new contracts, we might be able to pry him away.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2008, 01:57 AM
The Spurs not drafting a big at 45 (Hendrix, Hardin) makes me believe Pop and R.C have high hopes for Ianny Mahinmi. I'd really like to see the Spurs go after J.R Smith/Azubukee/ Pietrus in that order. Offer J.R Smith the full MLE for 2 years with an option for the 3rd.

objective
06-27-2008, 01:59 AM
Pietrus is the most realistic option.

Juan Dixon might be the most likely.

All the good ones are RFAs.

baseline bum
Wow... hope it goes as well as our fucking draft.

MaNu4Tres
our bigs seriously need a backup, ....

Thats Mahimni...I really don't believe there's a big out there in Free Agency who is worthy enough to steal quality minutes from Kurt Thomas, Oberto and their 2005 draft pick who they have invested 3 years in grooming. Mahinmi will be our main addition when it comes to bigs.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2008, 02:01 AM
The only way I see R.C and Pop improving our center position is by either Mahinmi stepping up or packaging a trade involving Oberto/Udoka or Bonner(Cough).

whitebust
06-27-2008, 02:03 AM
getting rid of bonner will probably cause the spurs to win 1 or 2 more games next year even if they just release him

Mister Sinister
06-27-2008, 02:05 AM
The only way I see R.C and Pop improving our center position is by either Mahinmi stepping up or packaging a trade involving Oberto/Udoka or Bonner(Cough).
What's your reasoning for wanting to get rid of Udoka?

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2008, 02:07 AM
What's your reasoning for wanting to get rid of Udoka?

I never said I wanted to get rid of Udoka. The man went to war for us. What I'm trying to say is if we want to improve our center position he may have to be packaged to get someone who is better than Kurt and Oberto. That's all I'm trying to say. That's if Mahimni sinks instead of swims.

Mister Sinister
06-27-2008, 02:09 AM
I never said I wanted to get rid of Udoka. The man went to war for us. What I'm trying to say is if we want to improve our center position he may have to be packaged to get someone who is better than Kurt and Oberto. That's all I'm trying to say. That's if Mahimni sinks instead of swims.
I should rephrase. I'm more questioning why you consider him acceptable trade fodder, I guess.

bigdog
06-27-2008, 02:12 AM
we don't need Azubuike. we already have a 6-5 sg/sf in Udoka and I was happy with his play last season.

We don't really need Artest, either. I think we will end up going after JR Smith, and if that doesn't work then we settle on Pietrus or James Jones. Pietrus said at one point last season that he would like to play for the Spurs alongside Tony Parker.

and I wasn't shocked when Thompson went that early. supposed his stock rised rapidly and teams liked him alot anywhere from late lottery to late 1st round. He kind of came out of nowhere but he was extremely consistent at Rider and he's someone I would have targeted if we needed a big.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2008, 02:15 AM
I should rephrase. I'm more questioning why you consider him acceptable trade fodder, I guess.

For one at his age and how much he makes, he probably has the most value we have in terms of assets that are tradeable. If you realistically look at it Tim, Manu, Bruce, Tony are untradeable. Oberto, Bonner, Vaughn, Udoka, Barry are the only chips we have to trade. So you tell me what package would be fair enough to obtain a big man who is better than Oberto and Kurt ( if we resign him). To me realistically Udoka packaged with Oberto is the only offer that could reel in an improvement at the starting post position. And Udoka would be expendable with Manu, Bruce, FA wing, and Barry in our rotation.

T Park
06-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Udoka and Azubuike are not even close to the same player.

Thats like comparing Tim Duncan and Dwight Howard.

bigdog
06-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Udoka and Azubuike are not even close to the same player.

Thats like comparing Tim Duncan and Dwight Howard.

I was just comparing their size. People want Azuibuke to come in and play like a 6-7 or 6-8 guy, when he's not. I love him as a player. He's very solid, but we need length, so that's really the only knock I have on him.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2008, 02:20 AM
I was just comparing their size. People want Azuibuke to come in and play like a 6-7 or 6-8 guy, when he's not. I love him as a player. He's very solid, but we need length, so that's really the only knock I have on him.

We need a consistent scorer who can be a multi-dimensional threat from the triple threat position at the wing. I'd really like to see us pony up the full MLE for J.R Smith for 2 years with a option for the 3rd.

mrspurs
06-27-2008, 09:04 AM
for all those who said....our bigs suck(minus duncan of course) i totally agree with...look at how many players we have to lean on for scoring, compared to how many players we have to lean on to keep the paint under control,(which is where we got ate up at in the season and even more in the PO's) and imo the math doesnt favor us...if they dont get timmy some help via FA of course, we will be good, but in the end we wont have enough to control the paint. for me personally we lived and died behind the arc all of last season and the reason was cos we only had one option downlow.(most of the other top west teams had 2)........i dont want to live and die behind the arc again.....id rather find one more option downlow to help duncan so the rest of the league is scared like they used tobe when they came inside........go spurs go

Tully365
06-27-2008, 02:15 PM

I like Udoka and hope the Spurs keep him, but I can see how other teams would want him-- any guy that can give a team 15+ mpg and is being paid just over 1 mil per is going to be attractive...plus he only has one year left on his contract.
The main reason I think the Spurs should use both their MLE and LLE (aside from trying to add decent players) is so they can start accumulating trade pieces. That's one area where they are very weak right now. Bowen's a great defender, but at his age there wouldn't be too much interest. Same for Barry, same for Thomas if he resigns... That leaves Oberto, Udoka, Bonner, the rights to Splitter... that's not much to work with.

wisnub
06-27-2008, 02:45 PM
I am hearing that Artest wants to opt out and that the Spurs will make a huge run at him.

I hope you're right.. that would be LEGENDARY!!!!!!!

wisnub
06-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Bring On Magette...or Antawn. Dump Kt,horry And Finley... The Salary With Mle Should Do It. The Hell With Under The Cap. Owner Got Richer And Fans Keep Worrying. Denver Is Also A Small Market But They Dont Afraid To Go Wayyyy Over The Luxury Tax. I Shouldnt Mention Dallas Coz They Got Money From Cuban. Its Time For Sa To Get Serious Additional Star Player From Free Agency (apologize For Capital Letter,im Doin This At Work)

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Personally, I'd rather have Smith or Pietrus - in that order.

However, if the Spurs end up somehow with Artest, I'd dance with the devil for a year or two. We would rule the West.

Tully365
06-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Personally, I'd rather have Smith or Pietrus - in that order.

However, if the Spurs end up somehow with Artest, I'd dance with the devil for a year or two. We would rule the West.

The Devil is a very good dancer, no question. Funny that it seems like Pop is open to it. And Ron is on record saying that Duncan is a pimp. It would be crazy, but lots of the great things in life are crazy, no?

You know, Tskitishvili is available in Europe. I hear he has AMAZING UPSIDE!

Darkwaters
06-27-2008, 05:30 PM
What about signing a combination of Kelenna Azubuike/James Jones/Mickael Pietrus and also Ryan Gomes? Gomes could play time at either forward spot and then the former player could be our new scoring wing.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Spurs need to throw the entire MLE at JR Smith or Artest, if he opts out.

If neither of those two things happen, get Pietrus...which I think is most likely.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 05:35 PM
What about signing a combination of Kelenna Azubuike/James Jones/Mickael Pietrus and also Ryan Gomes? Gomes could play time at either forward spot and then the former player could be our new scoring wing.

Forgot about James Jones. He's more of a spot up shooter. I'd put him behind Smith, Pietrus and Artest. I like Azibuke a lot but I don't like his absence of length. Also, I'm not sure what kind of defender he is.

Just heard on Ticket 760 that Denver has extended a qualifying offer to J.R Smith, so they'd be in a position to match any FA offer he receives.

manufor3
06-27-2008, 05:39 PM
maurice evans would work. get him

T Park
06-27-2008, 05:43 PM
If the Nuggets go all out and go into deeper Luxury tax hell, they are totally retarded.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Just heard on Ticket 760 that Denver has extended a qualifying offer to J.R Smith, so they'd be in a position to match any FA offer he receives.

That's to be expected...they'd be idiots not to have done that.

What I wonder about is all the speculation. I've seen ESPN and some others linking JR Smith to the Spurs...is any of that based in a stated postion by the Spurs FO?

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 06:35 PM
That's to be expected...they'd be idiots not to have done that.

What I wonder about is all the speculation. I've seen ESPN and some others linking JR Smith to the Spurs...is any of that based in a stated postion by the Spurs FO?

I personally believe that based on their #1 draft target, they're clearly saying they intend to fill the immediate need for a wing player in FA.

rj215
06-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Does anyone think Pop and RC are crazy/brave enough to think that resigning Finley is enough to address scoring from the wing? I feel like maybe Manu's injury could have them thinking that they were right there if he was healthy. And I can't say that I disagree. But seriously Fin-Dog, Big Shot Rob and Damon have to go if we want to compete against more athletic teams.

I'd take Artest, Azabuke, JR and Pietrus in that order if we luck out with Free Agency.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Does anyone think Pop and RC are crazy/brave enough to think that resigning Finley is enough to address scoring from the wing? I feel like maybe Manu's injury could have them thinking that they were right there if he was healthy. And I can't say that I disagree. But seriously Fin-Dog, Big Shot Rob and Damon have to go if we want to compete against more athletic teams.

I'd take Artest, Azabuke, JR and Pietrus in that order if we luck out with Free Agency.

I think we'll see Finley back. Horry possibly too.

tav1
06-27-2008, 07:35 PM

Kurt Thomas is pretty stinkin' good. It's hard for me to imagine a realistic upgrade over him. If we give him a training game and get modest production out of Mahinmi, and I think our big rotation is fine. We would benefit from another shot blocker and better minutes from Bonner, but you can't have everything.

T Park
06-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Horry yes, Finley no.

tav1
06-27-2008, 07:42 PM

At this point, you go after Artest if he opts out. If he doesn't, or the Spurs cant get him, you hope for Azubuike. I think Buike is more than sufficient. He's an upgrade over Finley and fits the Spurs style of hard working character guys.

Kindergarten Cop
06-27-2008, 07:43 PM

I can see Finley going back to Dallas and the Spurs re-signing Horry.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I can see Finley going back to Dallas and the Spurs re-signing Horry.

Dallas? That's a burned bridge, I think.

Ocotillo
06-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Maybe you punish Denver by offering a full MLE to Smith. I know it ties us up until they decide whether to match or not but if they match, they are hit hard financially, if they decline, you pick up a stud who if for some reason you don't think works out, has some trade value.

Biggems
06-27-2008, 08:28 PM
I have no issues with trading Vaughn and Bonner, if we are able to. I also have no issues with trading Udoka (although I feel he will do a much better job this next year), if we can get Artest to replace him.

Wish we had a realistic shot at Posey, but Boston isn't letting that fish off the hook. I also wish we could get Josh Smith from Atlanta, but they too will be as stingy as Boston. Plus, Smith will be quite an expensive option.

I wouldn't mind going after that Center, Patrick O'Bryant, from Golden St. He is young, a legit 7 fter, lots of potential, and should come pretty cheap.

So after all of this consideration.....I would be happy with this:

re-sign Horry
re-sign Thomas

sign Artest

trade Vaughn

C - Oberto, Mahimni, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Thomas, Horry
SF - Bowen, Udoka, Gist
SG - Artest, Manu, Hairston
PG - Parker, Hill, Barry

mystargtr34
06-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Imagine Artest and Bowen on the wings... and Duncan in the middle.

Damn

A.H 21-50
06-27-2008, 08:40 PM
I have no issues with trading Vaughn and Bonner, if we are able to. I also have no issues with trading Udoka (although I feel he will do a much better job this next year), if we can get Artest to replace him.

Wish we had a realistic shot at Posey, but Boston isn't letting that fish off the hook. I also wish we could get Josh Smith from Atlanta, but they too will be as stingy as Boston. Plus, Smith will be quite an expensive option.

I wouldn't mind going after that Center, Patrick O'Bryant, from Golden St. He is young, a legit 7 fter, lots of potential, and should come pretty cheap.

So after all of this consideration.....I would be happy with this:

re-sign Horry
re-sign Thomas

sign Artest

trade Vaughn

C - Oberto, Mahimni, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Thomas, Horry
SF - Bowen, Udoka, Gist
SG - Artest, Manu, Hairston
PG - Parker, Hill, Barry

this could be a perfect roster imo

as i said i'm not high on bonner so why not a big instead of him and you have a good roster for next season

artest will be difficult to land so smith , azabuike or other seems good too

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2008, 02:32 AM
we still need another big imo....

oberto, duncan, ian, bonner

horry, thomas....

ian and bonner wont get it done imo....i say we should resign thomas...

horry, bonner, should be traded imo....one thing if anyone is interested in oberto, trade his ass also who cant jump for shit

NewJerSpur
06-28-2008, 05:02 AM
Well, with the team picking up Hill in the draft that likely eliminates any chance of the team even sniffing at Pargo....but I'm definitely willing to give the kid a chance.

I'd still prefer the team go after Matt Barnes if they could finally pry him away from the Bay area, but I know that Pietrus is a very realistic possibility....regardless, I think at the end of the day the SA will likely wind up with at least 1 player from Golden State.

I think Artest may still be on the radar (more so than Smith anyway), but I don't think the Spurs wind up getting either. I think, like in the draft, they make some surprising, underwhelming acqusitions that could pay off in the short AND long term.

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2008, 05:16 AM
the trade that nearly happened last season with the bulls, we should go back to the table with them if its still there......

i prefer to get younger and not absorb any big contracts exceeding 09/10

wildbill2u
06-28-2008, 08:53 AM
I understand we now have FOUR picks in the second round next year. You'd have to be crazy to think we need four.

Some of you wannabe GM gurus figure out a trade for Artest (s & t?) or JR Smith using at least two of these picks--and maybe the Beno exception to entice their teams into a trade.

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2008, 09:03 AM
I understand we now have FOUR picks in the second round next year. You'd have to be crazy to think we need four.

Some of you wannabe GM gurus figure out a trade for Artest (s & t?) or JR Smith using at least two of these picks--and maybe the Beno exception to entice their teams into a trade.

those picks will come in handy, believe me

if we going to be using those picks, we can trade up into the next round the following year, and use it as part of teh bait to land either lebron/wade/bosh/boozer......

Bruno
06-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Spurs will have 3 second round picks in next year draft (and no first ones) :
- Rockets second round pick.
- Golden state second round pick.
- The best pick between Spurs' and hornets' second round pick.

Russ
06-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Artest would help the Spurs a lot more than JR IMO (but is also a huge risk for obvious reasons).

The difference bewteen Artest and JR Smith is that Artest, for all his flaws, seems to want to win and has at least some understanding of that part of the game. JR Smith does not seem to care about, or understand that, at all -- he reminds me a lot of Derek Anderson. Artest seems more like Stephen Jackson -- a problem child but at least he's pulling on the right end of the rope.

Artest's game is also tougher, more physical and translates more to the Spurs' defensive style of winning than does JR's (and, like JR, he can score).

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 10:05 AM

Where did this come from?

SPURSGOAT
06-28-2008, 10:15 AM
We have no chance on landing JR Smith.... Denver is going to match the MLE...

Artest would be good, but I imagine quite a few teams will be going after Artest.

I seriously see the Spurs getting Pietrus with part of the MLE. We have the French connection, he would fit in perfectly with the Spurs, and he should not take the full MLE to land.

Russ
06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
We have no chance on landing JR Smith....

I hope you're right.:toast

Artest would be good, but I imagine quite a few teams will be going after Artest.

I just hope he just stays off the Laker squad.

I seriously see the Spurs getting Pietrus with part of the MLE. We have the French connection, he would fit in perfectly with the Spurs, and he should not take the full MLE to land.

Bingo. Pietrus looks the best. :flag:

Bruno
06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Where did this come from?

Raptors get a pick from Hornets in a trade with Aaron Williams.
Spurs get the Hornets pick via Toronto in the Rasho trade.
Spurs traded the worst pick between the Hornets and the Spurs pick to Charlotte in the Melvin Ely trade.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Raptors get a pick from Hornets in a trade with Aaron Williams.
Spurs get the Hornets pick via Toronto in the Rasho trade.
Spurs traded the worst pick between the Hornets and the Spurs pick to Charlotte in the Melvin Ely trade.

:tu

Slinkyman
06-28-2008, 10:55 AM
What are everyones thought on Carlos Delfino? According to the Toronto Star he's on his way out and might go back to europe, maybe he wouldn't mind playing with manu and oberto? Could be a good plan C.

tav1
06-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Spurs will have 3 second round picks in next year draft (and no first ones) :
- Rockets second round pick.
- Golden state second round pick.

That's two too many. One rookie, a big or long three, is the only thing we'll looking at then, assuming Hill is any good and that we sign a shooting guard with the MLE. And honestly, there will likely not be a player at 38 to 42 that would make the team anyway.

This only underscores the need to be very active and make the right moves this off season.

In the best case scenario, the Spurs win the title next season, they'll pretty much stand pat with their roster until 2010. Again, this why I'd rather lock up, say, Rod Benson or Javtokas, as the 6th big. Horry might be able to play this season, but he won't be able to play next. Sign a younger player to learn the system this year, and be useful next. Let's not forget, Thomas will be a year older too.

My 2 cents worth.