PDA

View Full Version : Celtics next moves after the draft

bostonguy
06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
First off...I really like this pick. An athletic freak who can shoot the 3. If he can develop a better slashing game and improve his midrange shooting, that will be an even bigger plus. I hope he can get some burn off the bench but I am not holding my hopes out on this guy this quickly. The Celts now have to make these next moves with the draft ending:

1.)Resign House/Posey.

2.)Use the MLE on a backup bigman.

3.)Say adios to Tony Allen/Cassell/PJ Brown.

Gant
06-27-2008, 09:46 AM
I think they might keep Tony Allen and Scot Pollard will be the back up big man. Pollard can play- he was injured last year.

hater
06-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Pollard can play

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

I hope Doc Rivers agrees w/you

Tippecanoe
06-27-2008, 10:51 AM
I think they might keep Tony Allen and Scot Pollard will be the back up big man. Pollard can play- he was injured last year.

drafting giddens may signal the end of the tony allen era.

i was never a fan of pollard. i hope he doesnt return. has he ever played a full season in the nba since his sacramento days? however, the lack of backup centers may dictate otherwise.

i would love it if they found a way to sign diop

Rip-Hamilton32
06-27-2008, 12:09 PM
i was really hoping we took bill walker pretty good pick up for some cash

TheMadHatter
06-27-2008, 12:21 PM
bostonguy who is this PG the Celtics drafted? Do you think he's going to be a solid backup immediately?

mardigan
06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Giddens is the shit. I saw him play a bunch of times at UNM last year, and the guy can do all kinds of things. Great shot, great leaper, can play really good d when he wants to. I think he will be able to contibute next year in the rotation, and should provide a solid backup at the 2/3.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Giddens is the shit. I saw him play a bunch of times at UNM last year, and the guy can do all kinds of things. Great shot, great leaper, can play really good d when he wants to. I think he will be able to contibute next year in the rotation, and should provide a solid backup at the 2/3.

:tu
Even though he was drafted in the first round, he's gonna be a steal.

JamStone
06-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I like Giddens a lot too. He's got Desmond Mason or Fred Jones type athleticism. Really fun to watch him in the open court and get up off the ground. Plus he has a fairly good jumper. Ray Allen is on his decline and JR Giddens might have a chance to earn a few minutes here and there next season. I like that pick-up by the Celtics a lot.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Another thing is that he has a great rebounding rate for a guard.
He's 6-5 and averaged 8.8 rebounds a game. :wow

oligarchy
06-27-2008, 01:27 PM
First off...I really like this pick. An athletic freak who can shoot the 3. If he can develop a better slashing game and improve his midrange shooting, that will be an even bigger plus. I hope he can get some burn off the bench but I am not holding my hopes out on this guy this quickly. The Celts now have to make these next moves with the draft ending:

1.)Resign House/Posey.

2.)Use the MLE on a backup bigman.

3.)Say adios to Tony Allen/Cassell/PJ Brown.

You plan to resign Posey without using the MLE?

kobyz
06-27-2008, 02:20 PM

lary bird role

bostonguy
06-27-2008, 03:29 PM
bostonguy who is this PG the Celtics drafted? Do you think he's going to be a solid backup immediately?

Giddens is more of a shooting guard. I think he will be a solid bench contributor at best next year. We drafted Pruitt last year in the 2nd round but he spent most of the year on the d-league or IR. He could be the teams backup pg. He is very talented, is quick and can shoot. He has upside as does Giddens. We will see if that upside provides results in time.

bostonguy
06-27-2008, 03:32 PM

We wont have to use the MLE. We have the birds rights on Posey/House/Allen. They wont resign Tony Allen but they will do everything in their power to keep Posey/House.

bostonguy
06-27-2008, 03:36 PM
This is a projection of how I hope/expect to see next years Celts Roster:

Starting 5:Rondo/Allen/Pierce/KG/Perkins

Bench:

Pruitt/Giddens/Posey/Powe/Big Baby/House/Part or all of MLE on a bigman.

The bench is mostly full of youth. Hopefully they can help cut some of the Boston three party's minutes a tad.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Giddens is not a point guard by any stretch...he's definitely a swing guard.

Depending on the matchup he covered all five positions on defense during the '07-'08 season for New Mexico. He's not really great at creating his shot but he's a great distributor and works better than people realize within a structured offense. People think he's one of those guys that needs the green light on in order to excel, but Steve Alford ran the most disciplined offense Giddens saw during his college days and it just so happens that this is when J.R.'s game took off.

His wingspan is enormous and he's got great hops. A lot of people know he finished 2nd to Lebron in the McDonald's high school all-american slam dunk contest a few years back, what isn't publicized much anymore is that when J.R. did that he was playing with a broken bone in his foot.

Giddens is going to stick in the NBA and the Celtics made a great pick.

More reason to hate the Celtics.

oligarchy
06-27-2008, 04:15 PM
We wont have to use the MLE. We have the birds rights on Posey/House/Allen. They wont resign Tony Allen but they will do everything in their power to keep Posey/House.

You don't have Bird Rights to Posey, was the point I was making. I forgot though, that you don't have to use the MLE. You can resign your own FA's at 120%, using the "non-Bird Rights" clause. The reason Posey opted out was to find the full MLE, maybe he'll resign with Boston for less.

bostonguy
06-28-2008, 04:07 PM
You don't have Bird Rights to Posey, was the point I was making. I forgot though, that you don't have to use the MLE. You can resign your own FA's at 120%, using the "non-Bird Rights" clause. The reason Posey opted out was to find the full MLE, maybe he'll resign with Boston for less.

I forget how many years it takes for the birds right clause to come into effect. (2 or 3?)