Page 387 of 387 FirstFirst ... 287337377383384385386387
Results 9,651 to 9,673 of 9673
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have there been any notable/embarrassing Green Room situations in the NBA? Like Aaron Rodgers in the NFL?
    Rashard Lewis sat in the GR into the second round. Houston snaked him after promising to select him with one of their THREE first round picks, and he was a local HS sensation, attending Alief HS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rashard Lewis sat in the GR into the second round. Houston snaked him after promising to select him with one of their THREE first round picks, and he was a local HS sensation, attending Alief HS.
    In Rashard Lewis's big FA year (2001 or 2002 I think) I saw Mark Cuban engaged in some high level recruiting by taking Mr. Lewis to one of the Dallas area's finest gentlemen's clubs. 22 year old me resisted the urge to throw them a GSG. He resigned with Seattle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Rashard Lewis's big FA year (2001 or 2002 I think) I saw Mark Cuban engaged in some high level recruiting by taking Mr. Lewis to one of the Dallas area's finest gentlemen's clubs. 22 year old me resisted the urge to throw them a GSG. He resigned with Seattle.
    Bryce Drew was Houston’s 2nd FRP that year. Rashard became a two time All Star. Drew became a college coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember that because the draft is stupidly two nights this year, the league wants guys whom they/ESPN can hype up on the second night. So there will very, very likely be guys invited to the green room with the expectation they won't have their name called until Friday.
    Damn, if true that's savage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, if true that's savage
    Maybe I'm not representing what I'm saying correctly?

So the NBA draft is very different than, say the NFL. A large portion of the draft class attends every year, significantly more so than sit in the "Green Room" area, which is actually a spacious open-seating zone in front of the stage. Last year, 19 guys were invited to sit in the "Green Room" with their entourages. I don't know the numbers for this year, but I don't think it's clearly more than that yet. If it is, though, it's not because the NBA is trying to trick guys into believing they're going to be a high pick so they can milk their disappointment for views.

The players they intend to showcase for Day Two would know that's where they're likely to go. But the League and ESPN have to sell fans that this is a good idea, so they're going to want these players to be hyped up. They're gonna get interviewed and walk out on stage and all that. Rather than what has previously happened where those guys will be in the stands, the ones who are left for Friday will very likely be on the floor instead. So yeah, there will or at least should be guys whose agents are telling them that they're late-first/early second but who get an invite to go to the "Green Room" and it's like "If you get drafted on Thursday, cool. If you get drafted on Friday, cool" We wanna feature you either way."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the point Ariel is making is that slipping to the 2nd round has long been seen as a failure for Green Room guys. They sit there as pick after pick goes by. This year may be even worse since they can't even make it out of the first night and have to come back the next night. Lots of pictures of one or two guys sitting among these empty tables with their quiet, spooked families.

The league seems to be setting this up more by taking like 25 players into the Green Room. They care less about appearances for these players and more about selling their second night crap. Sacrificing the players for drama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the point I thought he was making, hence me wondering if I could have explained the situation more clearly. It seems to be the NBA wants there to be a "Green Room" for both Thursday and Friday. My guess is that the League is telling the players who they want to feature on Day Two what to expect. It's like how in the NFL Draft, second- and later-rounders might have a camera in their living room. A guy whose agent is telling him to expect to be drafted in the 25-35 is hopefully getting the advice if he is invited to the "Green Room" it's not because a team in the top-20 is going to pick him. He knows who has spoken to his agent, who he's worked out for, etc. While we could well see someone drop ala Deyonte Davis or at least Cam Whitmore, I think it's likely the guys who are left in the "Green Room" come the end of the first night won't be shocked they weren't picked. And I would expect some second-rounders who were hanging out in the stands on Thursday will come down to the floor on Friday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was Cam Whitmore in the Green Room last year? A situation like that (Projected Top-8 pick sliding to 20) is probably more embarrassing than a guy projected to be picked 24th sliding to 32nd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was Cam Whitmore in the Green Room last year? A situation like that (Projected Top-8 pick sliding to 20) is probably more embarrassing than a guy projected to be picked 24th sliding to 32nd.
    He was. I don't think the "Green Room", even if it is composed of 25 players, will be solely guys project to be taken in the first round. I think they'd really like guys picked 31-35 to be present to get the caps and do the interviews. I guess we'll see when the full list comes out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go Spursssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss go

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do it Spurs

getttttttttttttttttttttttt Markkanen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Terrence Shannon should be a no brainer for us at 8

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry if this was already posted (didn’t see it), but Wasserman had this recently:

“Rival teams also continue to predict that Cody Williams will be picked earlier than most expect, potentially by the Detroit Pistons at No. 5 or the San Antonio Spurs.”

We haven’t talked about Cody in a while. I was higher on him earlier this year, but his play tapered off (he was injured right?). I’m not gonna be mad if he’s the pick at 8.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Sheppard at 4 and Cody Williams at 8 is probably the bare minimum I'd be ok with if all other options are gone (no Risacher/Castle at 4, no Dillingham at 8)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information