Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reading over what everyone here thinks and wants, I'm going to laugh so hard when the Spurs select Salaun with the 4th pick.
    Unless the Spurs decide to reach for another Josh Primo, most of us will be happy with anyone who is useful to the team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The challenge with Reed at 4 is not a high ceiling. He's a statistical darling and I'm not against him at 4, but very curious how his intangibles carry over. If not, could be too close to a Jared McCain.
    Interestingly, I'm much higher on McCain than consensus as well. The only question is whether / how much of his playmaking was masked playing next to Proctor and Roach since he was the only off-ball player that Duke had. Very similar numbers to CJ McCollum as a playmaker at the same age and for me that's his 70th percentile comp. He's checks quite a few boxes:

1. Jumper that's just as good as Sheppard - McCain took more difficult shots at a higher volume, shoots close to 90% from the FT, and his 3PT% was still well above 40

2. Stronger than most guards - his half court rim percentages were excellent among guard prospects - better than Sheppard, Dillingham, and Castle. Also he's built like a brick wall, that strength should hold up in the playoffs where he's getting bumped off his spots more and calls come less frequently

3. Above average guard rebounder - OREB% was actually very similar to Devin Carter; total rebounds/100 eclipse Sheppard, Dillingham, Collier, Cody Williams (lol)

4. Compe ive as and raises his performance for big games - the only guard prospect that noticeably improved against top 50 and top 100 compe ion - FTR went up, EFG% went up, AST% went up, rim finishing went up, BPM went way up. Went out with a bang in the final 4 with 32/6 against NC State. Contrast that with Castle whose offensive numbers completely crater against top 100 and top 50 compe ion

I have him around 6 on my big board, very close to Devin Carter. I'm basically very low on all the wings this year and high on the combo guards - 3/4 of whom (Castle, Sheppard, McCain) have their playmaking masked playing behind or with at least one other lead guard. I'd have absolutely no problem taking McCain at 8 if the Spurs ended up missing out on Sheppard and instead took Castle at 4.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interestingly, I'm much higher on McCain than consensus as well. The only question is whether / how much of his playmaking was masked playing next to Proctor and Roach since he was the only off-ball player that Duke had. Very similar numbers to CJ McCollum as a playmaker at the same age and for me that's his 70th percentile comp. He's checks quite a few boxes:

1. Jumper that's just as good as Sheppard - McCain took more difficult shots at a higher volume, shoots close to 90% from the FT, and his 3PT% was still well above 40

2. Stronger than most guards - his half court rim percentages were excellent among guard prospects - better than Sheppard, Dillingham, and Castle. Also he's built like a brick wall, that strength should hold up in the playoffs where he's getting bumped off his spots more and calls come less frequently

3. Above average guard rebounder - OREB% was actually very similar to Devin Carter; total rebounds/100 eclipse Sheppard, Dillingham, Collier, Cody Williams (lol)

4. Compe ive as and raises his performance for big games - the only guard prospect that noticeably improved against top 50 and top 100 compe ion - FTR went up, EFG% went up, AST% went up, rim finishing went up, BPM went way up. Went out with a bang in the final 4 with 32/6 against NC State. Contrast that with Castle whose offensive numbers completely crater against top 100 and top 50 compe ion

I have him around 6 on my big board, very close to Devin Carter. I'm basically very low on all the wings this year and high on the combo guards - 3/4 of whom (Castle, Sheppard, McCain) have their playmaking masked playing behind or with at least one other lead guard. I'd have absolutely no problem taking McCain at 8 if the Spurs ended up missing out on Sheppard and instead took Castle at 4.
    as declared on several occasions, I'm also a member of the McCain Club. yes, the combine was a bit disappointing regarding height (I was hoping for like 6'3" and 6'8" wingspan), but didn't change my general view.
    so, if the Spurs are in position to choose between him and Sheppard at pick #8, I would pick McCain.
    just to add something to your points (to your point 1): tough shots. this is confirmed statistically. I don' remember who brought it up, I think it was Stayman on the locked on podcast, McCain's shooting shows a crazy anomaly as his percentage on guarded 3s was something like 44% and was much higher than unguarded 3s (this was like 40%). almost as if this kids needs a hand in his face to bring the best out of his shooting. he also made such shots from 5 feet behind the line.
    so, if there was something like a tough shot statistic, I'm pretty sure he would be on top. and that's something that for sure would translate to the NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Kerr shot .573 from deep in his senior year at Arizona.
    Wow, wild to think Steve Kerr was the 50th pick in the 1988 draft. He’s come a long way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m warming to Reed with the 8th pick. I wouldn’t waste 4 on him though. Take the best wing at 4 and best PG at 8.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m warming to Reed with the 8th pick. I wouldn’t waste 4 on him though. Take the best wing at 4 and best PG at 8.
    and who is the best wing and pg

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best wings are Buzelis and Risacher

Best PG's are Sheppard and Castle

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My views on Castle at 4 are known. If Castle isn’t there at 4, there is a good chance ZR falls to 4. Spurs will take him there in an heartbeat. If both Castle and ZR are gone I’m looking hard at Buz (assuming somehow Sarr didn’t drop).

At 8 there will be a lot of PG options who will be fine. There won’t be much of a talent separation honestly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheppard or Castle will be at 4. I prefer Sheppard. I also would like to see Knecht at 8. The offensive versatility would be amazing. They could bring back the beautiful game.

Thread Information