Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker yet to reveal iden y to Spurs
    Guard's up, then guard's down, and team left wanting consistent play
    By FRAN BLINEBURY

Tony Parker celebrated his 23rd birthday Tuesday night by nailing three jump shots in the final three minutes against the Sonics.

Of course, his team was already comfortably in front by 14 points at the time, so that most definitely qualifies as icing on the cake.

Now, as the second-round playoff series shifts to Seattle, the question is whether the Spurs can finally blow out the candles on the depleted Sonics tonight at KeyArena.

If Tim Duncan had hit that point-blank turnaround as the clock ran out in Game 3, then Game 5 might already have been the clincher. If the Spurs hadn't been so wasteful with 23 turnovers on their first attempt in Seattle and so incapable of stopping the pick-and-roll play on their second try, this extra plane trip might have been completely unnecessary.

There are many reasons San Antonio is still dangerously dallying with the Sonics at this later stage in the postseason. But few are quite as dramatic as the up-and-down play of Parker.

Now in his fourth NBA season, there are times when Parker is the sweetest singing French import this side of Edith Piaf. That's when he starts games as if his engine is already running at full throttle — when he gets the ball on the Spurs' first possession, puts his head down and darts to the basket through the smallest sliver of an opening in the defense.

Quick out of gate
    That was Parker in the first two games against the Sonics, setting the pace and setting the tone of the Spurs' offense. Back then, it didn't appear Seattle's second-year point guard Luke Ridnour would be able to cut off Parker's forays to the basket. The Spurs built their 2-0 lead in the series with Parker shooting 18-for-33 (54.6 percent) from the field and averaging 25.5 points.

Then the scene shifted to Seattle, and it was almost as if Parker missed the team charter. He became, as is his occasional habit, more tentative. His jumper stopped falling and he became outwardly more reluctant to pull the trigger. The Sonics' defense sagged off him and cut off his path to the hoop. When that occurs, Parker often tries to force things, becomes frustrated and it carries over to his teammates.

In Games 3 through 5, his shooting dropped to 17-for-44 (39.2 percent) and his scoring average to 15.3. In the past two games, he scored just 12 and 11 points and was no more a real help to San Antonio than actress Eva Longoria, his sometimes companion, who often watches from the stands. He shot 1-for-8 in the first half Tuesday, and the Sonics had the game tied at 50.

"We don't care if he plays bad in a win," said Manu Ginobili. "We trust him, and I think he's gonna come back pretty strong in Game 6. When you play bad and you win, you've got to feel OK. The team's got his back."

It's just a lot easier if Parker has the confidence that can occasionally make him look unstoppable. It's the ups and downs, the ins and outs, that keep Gregg Popovich riding him hard. The Spurs' coach knows that Parker's at ude, his aggressiveness can disappear so suddenly.

Get in the game
    Popovich constantly has to remind Parker to keep his head and his confidence in the game.

Now the Spurs are facing what could be a difficult close-out scenario back in Seattle, at least in part, because Parker backed off and backed down last weekend.

If he does it again, they'll find themselves on the perilous perch of a Game 7.

"Tony wanted to have a good Game (5)," said Duncan. "But sometimes it doesn't happen that way. I thought he did a good job of hitting shots down the stretch."

That was pure icing. It's the other side of Tony Parker the Spurs will need to take the whole cake.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We don't care if he plays bad in a win," said Manu Ginobili. "We trust him, and I think he's gonna come back pretty strong in Game 6. When you play bad and you win, you've got to feel OK. The team's got his back."
    I do too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I certainly hope so...I don't like game 7's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    game 7s do blow.

Plus, I want to have a stress free sunday, so pull your heads out of your asses spurs and freakin WIN!!!!

oy............

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    game 7s do blow.

Plus, I want to have a stress free sunday, so pull your heads out of your asses spurs and freakin WIN!!!!

oy............

If we play at Phoenix on Sunday...you lose your stress free Sunday.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he does come back to his old ways, but I got to tell you I'm mighty worried that he won't. Ofcourse I'm always paranoid around this time of the year, so don't mind me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony will have an amazing showing tonight.

Believe!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not be surprised if Tony had one of his 27 point in 10-16 FG with a bunch of assists type of games.

Believe it or not, a game like that would up his series averages to something like 20/6.

needs a margarita
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I certainly hope so...I don't like game 7's.
    Ditto.

And because these late games rob my of my precious sleep, the Spurs BETTER WIN tonight!

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ditto.

And because these late games rob my of my precious sleep, the Spurs BETTER WIN tonight!
    Yes, and we all need our beauty sleep.

Peace and Happiness
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then the scene shifted to Seattle, and it was almost as if Parker missed the team charter. He became, as is his occasional habit, more tentative. His jumper stopped falling and he became outwardly more reluctant to pull the trigger. The Sonics' defense sagged off him and cut off his path to the hoop. When that occurs, Parker often tries to force things, becomes frustrated and it carries over to his teammates.
    Thats pretty much what i tried to say in the thread "What i dont want to happen...". Sorry if it bothers all TeePee lovers, but i think it's true.

he scored just 12 and 11 points and was no more a real help to San Antonio than actress Eva Longoria, his sometimes companion, who often watches from the stands.
    Shhh... you're not suppossed to post this stuff here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing that keeps Tony out of a rating as an Allstar is Tony. There have been constant threads on his occasional disappearance in the stats and in the 4th quarter of tight games. Whatever the problem is, I hope he overcomes it for this game and throughout the playoffs. Bon chance, mon ami!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this article is horse
    spurs lost because of bad free throw shooting in game three
    and in game four because only duncan showed up

blaming 2 losses on tp is really stupid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When is the last time Spurs played a Game 7?

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When is the last time Spurs played a Game 7?
    Philly, Washington, Lakers and Rockets are the only ones that I can think of. Lost 3 of those.

Thread Information