Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice read.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/...ll-ball-poison

In short the post and passing ability of Duncan coupled with the post, passing and outside shooting of Aldridge should prevent opponents from going small against us with much success. The author even talks about the trouble the Warriors would have with a match-up with the new Spurs!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many PTR members immediately replied that the trouble with staying big comes on the defensive side. And until I am proven wrong by watching the new Spurs pound small ball teams, I think they might be right ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually don't think small-ball will be a huge problem. Most teams have been doing what they can to stay big. Look at OKC and Cleveland. Golden State is really the only concern, but if LMA can't guard Draymond, there's nothing the Spurs can do against the Warriors anyway.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We didn't have a problem against small ball before tbh. Even less of a concern going forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll take a Duncan layup or dunk every play for an occasional three by Barnes or Green. The Warriors will have no defense that can play Duncan if they go small and leave Bogart out of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs and LaMarcus should destroy opponents. Period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My body is ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy and LMA arent the only ones to destroy small ball line ups Boris and West also small ball killers. Skilled big men are the death of small ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We haven't lost to small ball in the playoffs since the OKC series tbqh. And before that we haven't lost to small ball since the suns abberration.

Not worried

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually don't think small-ball will be a huge problem. Most teams have been doing what they can to stay big. Look at OKC and Cleveland. Golden State is really the only concern, but if LMA can't guard Draymond, there's nothing the Spurs can do against the Warriors anyway.
    No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meaning that if Draymond is going to force the Spurs to play small to match up, then they lose. Aldridge simply HAS to be able to check the Warriors fourth option, because the Spurs' wings have other people they need to guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams that try to play small ball against the Spurs this season might just as well go ahead and change their mascot name to "roadkill."

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meaning that if Draymond is going to force the Spurs to play small to match up, then they lose. Aldridge simply HAS to be able to check the Warriors fourth option, because the Spurs' wings have other people they need to guard.
    That supposes that Green can be that much of an offensive force. And that also supposes that someone like Diaw can't then come in an do the job. It's a stretch. The way that the Warriors become seeming unstoppable is when both splash brothers are red hot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That supposes that Green can be that much of an offensive force. And that also supposes that someone like Diaw can't then come in an do the job. It's a stretch. The way that the Warriors become seeming unstoppable is when both splash brothers are red hot.
    So you're completely agreeing with me but are taking a contradictory tone for some reason?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're completely agreeing with me but are taking a contradictory tone for some reason?
    I guess you could say I'm agreeing. But what I'm saying is that Green as an individual offensive force isn't what you game plan for. He's limited.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Mozgov was killing the Warriors inside, TD and LA should have a field day.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are going to have a big problem against the Warriors,,,quick and athletic always wins nowadays in the NBA,,,not big and powerful. Why do you think Pop has the Spurs transcended to an offensive team over a defensive one?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are going to have a big problem against the Warriors,,,quick and athletic always wins nowadays in the NBA,,,not big and powerful. Why do you think Pop has the Spurs transcended to an offensive team over a defensive one?
    It's not like Green and Leonard cant guard the splash brothers. You couldn't really ask for better defenders against the big. The biggest issue is the xfactor. Will Barnes and Iggy destroy Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At&t center going off this year, be there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not like Green and Leonard cant guard the splash brothers. You couldn't really ask for better defenders against the big. The biggest issue is the xfactor. Will Barnes and Iggy destroy Parker.
    Depending on how Parker plays, maybe we just play straight up. Iggy and Barnes are capable enough to abuse Parker and gladly will.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When the Warriors are small, Green is the center. To play big against them one of Aldridge/Duncan would have to guard a wing, likely Iguodala since he's such a poor 3 point shooter. In fact excludig Curry and Thompson, there are a plethora of average or worse shooters on the Warriors to hide bigger guys on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When the Warriors are small, Green is the center. To play big against them one of Aldridge/Duncan would have to guard a wing, likely Iguodala since he's such a poor 3 point shooter. In fact excludig Curry and Thompson, there are a plethora of average or worse shooters on the Warriors to hide bigger guys on.
    It's not caliber of shooting that's the primary concern, when trying to hide bigs on a wing (in fact, spot up shooters are ideal), it's whether they're off the dribble threats.

That's what makes the Warriors small ball unit difficult to defend. Even though both Thompson and Barnes have a mediocre handle, they're more than capable of burning most bigs off the dribble.

I'm not the least bit concerned with Aldridge defending Green. Aldridge is surprisingly nimble for not only someone his height, but someone with his bulk. The bigger concern would be Duncan/Parker vs Barnes/Iguodala. I'd go with Duncan on Iguodala, who's a reluctant scorer and mediocre three-point shooter; but if Barnes posting Parker becomes a big enough issue, it might have to be switched.

Overall though, no team is as well equipped as the Spurs to make the Warriors pay for playing this lineup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curious to see if we'll see superbig lineups against certain teams. Aldridge-Duncan-West.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone explain me this?

The Warriors countered by going extra small, knowing that Mozgov wasn't going to be able to take advantage of a wing on offense.
    Wing on offense? I know what is wing in it's basically meaning. Here, i have no idea what did they want to say.

Can someone write me this, just in a different way?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone explain me this?

Wing on offense? I know what is wing in it's basically meaning. Here, i have no idea what did they want to say.

Can someone write me this, just in a different way?
    The Warriors put a 6'7" guy in him and he wasn't able to use his size to punish them in the post

Thread Information