Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think so. At least if they are going to keep playing small ball against Dallas or other teams. If you are going to put Jefferson on a 4 (in this case Dirk), then that means you have Ginoboli or Mason guarding the 3 spot, which may mean a significant size/strength advantage.

For example, Josh Howard was able to score a number of baskets in the first half on Manu Ginoboli and Mason and required a double team when he went to the post. If Jefferson was on him, he probably doesn't have that short offensive spurt. But he can take advantage of guys on which he has a little size and strength. In the past we used Finley to guard him, though I don't know that that would work this year given Finley's age and injuries.

We also had George Hill matched up against the Matrix for a time. Hill played good defense and has a good wing span, but Matrix has a considerable strength advantage, though he didn't employ it against Hill, probably because the offense was going through Dirk and Terry.

I've seen this problem in a number of games when we go small. Ginoboli and Mason are really 2s not 3s. 6'5 is a bit small for a small forward. We could use an athletic 6-8 or 6-9 forward. Not a superstar, but someone that can match up when we go small.

Just a thought.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh Howard used to hurt us even when we had Bowen..the guy has some magic powers whenever he plays the Spurs..

I'd rather get a real big man and NOT go small..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have another SF, but not because of smallball. RJ needs a competent backup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mike finley

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the big picture, probably.

As people have already mentioned, Jefferson is really the only true small forward on the team. The only other player with a three build is Finley, but he seems to play more of a SG style and has father time testing his legs at this point. Manu, Hill, and Mason can play the spot in a pinch, but that usually forces the team to go small. Guys like Bonner and McDyess are too big and slow to defend the more athletic SFs in the league.

One of the interesting dynamics of this team is its ability to alter its look and tempo, but I think have another solid SF would add a little more continuity to an otherwise haphazard rotation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been wondering: can the Spurs trade Finley as part of a package with Bonner (or whoever) for a center, and then sign Bowen out of retirement? Bowen can still ball, at least as a backup.

Haywood/Bowen > Bonner/Finley

IMO

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been wondering: can the Spurs trade Finley as part of a package with Bonner (or whoever) for a center, and then sign Bowen out of retirement? Bowen can still ball, at least as a backup.

Haywood/Bowen > Bonner/Finley

IMO
    I'd do that in a heartbeat...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs need a bigman not another small forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs need a bigman not another small forward.
    Yup. We don't need a small forward we need a tall forward aka true center

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the Spurs need another small forward?

I've been clamoring for this ever since SJax left in the summer of 2003. The same summer that the Spurs PASSED on the opportunity to select Josh Howard with their #28 pick of the first round of the draft. The same summer the team was tried to clear cap space for the Jason Kidd sweepstakes (wtf). Thank God that failed.

The fact is the Spurs have never been able to replace the roster with a player who possessed Jack's size, shooting skill, and moxie. It wasn't until the acquisition of RJ that the Spurs finally acquired a player, at the SF position, with a complete package. That took 7 years.

During those years, they searched for a Bowen understudy. In which time, they passed over possible FA pickups like Mikael Pietrus, Trevor Ariza, & Matt Barnes - all of which were suitable options that could have helped. They took chances on guys like Bobby Jones and James White, but they washed out.

In the past couple of years, the Spurs unfortunately missed the opportunity to draft and develop youngsters like James White, Nicolas Batum, Omri Casspi , Serge Ibaka and Luc Richard Mbah A Moute. All of which were not available to them in the draft.

Since 2006, Pop has been trying to masquerade Michael Finley as a SF - even going so far as to have play heavy minutes the past year AND having him guard Dirk in the playoffs. A complete failure. Finley is what he is - a one trick pony. A short-term, stop-gap option, who was never a suitable solution for a SF. Sure he's a fine shooter, a pro's pro and not a bad player, in his prime. Except he's old. slow and lacks the other necessary intangibles the Spurs desparately needed (rebounding, defense, athleticism) at that position. As it turns out, the Finley acquisition was really a setback - especially the way in which Pop overused and overestimated him. Personally, I would've rather they simply drafted Josh Howard.

All that said, your point is a valid one. The Spurs could use another small forward. In fact, they've needed one for a long time now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kind of wonder how Haislip would work at the 3 spot. Not sure how good he really is but you never know. I would like to see it just to see it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kind of wonder how Haislip would work at the 3 spot. Not sure how good he really is but you never know. I would like to see it just to see it.
    For all we know, he could be very good. However he's a young player and new to the system, which means he hasn't earned Pop's trust - which means he automatically has a built-in prejudice working against him.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all we know, he could be very good. However he's a young player and new to the system, which means he hasn't earned Pop's trust - which means he automatically has a built-in prejudice working against him.
    at 29 I wouldn't really call Haislip young and I also doubt he will be better at the 3 than at the 4. and jury still is out if he is NBA material at all, no matter if at 3 or 4.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we need a legit big men who can rebound and bring pain in the paint

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah that Blair just never sees any time at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a perfect world, the answer is yes. A backup SF that plays defense, runs hard and doesn't get in the way. Someone like Prince Mbah A Moute would look nice coming off of the bench.

But in reality, come playoff time Jefferson should be up around the 36-39MPG mark, so 10MPG of Manu/Mason defending the opposition SF, which will sometimes be a bench player himself, shouldn't be that high on the problems the Spurs are looking to fix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whether its a big or long SF

we need a fkn player that can play in traffic, above the rim player who can dunk, block shots, run down his man for the defensive plays....we dont have a player like that....

RJ doesnt count he just too inconsistent....
    jesus only had one game, not enough
    haislip is fkn huge but how come he doesnt attack the rim with his athletic ability like igoudola...fkn lame....
    bogans is undersized but he has that i dont give up at ude...

but when looking at the other players in the league who doing alot of stuff, i wonder if given the chance would they perform like that on the spurs, or pop would just limit them if they were on the spurs....

Thread Information