Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players they should sell IF they are out of playoff contention come February.

Rudy Gay - He absolutely makes no sense for this team long term. If they can net a first round pick for him to a contender, I hope they pull the trigger.

Pau Gasol - He makes a lot of sense for a team that wants to shed salary. Spurs would have to take on salary for another year or two to fetch a first -- I think its worth a 1st. ( I.E- Pau to Portland for Evan Turner + 1st. SA would take on Turner salary for the 19/20 season).

Marco Belinelli - Playoff teams would be interested if he shows out this season from a scoring and shooting perspective.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 10-17-2018 at 10:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd have Derozan pouting for the rest of the season if/when they move Rudy.

Everybody outside Walker, White, and Murray should be available tho, I agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players they should sell come February:

Rudy Gay - He absolutely makes no sense for this team long term. If they can net a first round pick for him to a contender, I hope they pull the trigger.

Pau Gasol - He makes a lot of sense for a team that wants to shed salary. Spurs would have to take on salary for another year or two to fetch a first -- I think its worth a 1st. ( I.E- Pau to Portland for Evan Turner + 1st. SA would take on Turner salary for the 19/20 season).

Marco Belinelli - Playoff teams would be interested if he shows out this season from a scoring and shooting perspective.
    Rudy is important especially to make DD comfortable. If he can stay healthy he can play another 2 or 3 years after this year.

Pau should be sent off I agree. Rather play Metu but you could say depth is needed at the big position too.

Fine with Marco leaving once Walker and White is back.

Patty can be moved too. I like Forbes much better at this price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably need to wait and see how they look by then. Gay is important for the reasons folks listed above. It's not always about skills or what you can do on the court, it's about fit. And people may not like it , but a guy like Patty fits well with the team ( i know he wasn't mentioned but just an example). Gay is a close friend of DD, and having him is important to keep him comfortable. Shipping him off half of DD's first year here doesn't make a lot of sense from that standpoint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay is the only forward with real size and athleticism of a nba basketball player on the roster, so no

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably need to wait and see how they look by then. Gay is important for the reasons folks listed above. It's not always about skills or what you can do on the court, it's about fit. And people may not like it , but a guy like Patty fits well with the team ( i know he wasn't mentioned but just an example). Gay is a close friend of DD, and having him is important to keep him comfortable. Shipping him off half of DD's first year here doesn't make a lot of sense from that standpoint.
    I dont think either Gay or DeRozan make sense long term.

But hey if fans want to give Rudy a 3/45 deal next summer and then give DeRozan the max extension when the opportunity comes up, to each their own.

Spurs should do whats best for the Spurs, not DeMar. Im sure DeMar will make more friends by February, and would understand if the season is lost by February.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 10-17-2018 at 09:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a feeling the Spurs know what the smart thing is. Getting worse hardly ever seems to be that. Gay may well be traded if the team is bad and he wants to move on. But if they are the playoff team they still seem to be, they are going to keep him. They certainly don't look to be in the market to take on bad money for a pick. They aren't rebuilding. They have done a fine enough job of getting three good future guys and an extra first as it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly it depends how well they are playing by February. They have some redundant players and some needs to address. I am in favor of them rebuilding/retooling if the season goes south.

However I have a feeling that even with the injuries, this season will be much like last one in the sense that teams can still make the postseason up until the very last week of the regular season. I don't see the Spurs making moves, unless something too tempting to pass up appears.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But hey if fans want to give Rudy a 3/45 deal next summer and then give DeRozan the max extension when the opportunity comes up, to each their own.

Spurs should do whats best for the Spurs, not DeMar. Im sure DeMar will make more friends by February, and would understand if the season is lost by February.
    I mean sure, but I also don't think you're going to see them just tank it/and aggressively trade guys unless they're terrible. We haven't even seen DeRozan play meaningful games/minutes to know whether he makes sense long term. Who's to say he doesn't become a solid 3 point shooter and give us extra shooting + his playmaking ability? There's always a need for that.

I agree with what Chinook is saying tho, you can see a lot of the young talent we've gotten already, plus a 1st round pick. The guard/center position future looks bright

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu4Tres I duno if its the injuries or the fact Manu retired but your posts are very negative lately.

Rudy Gay is one of our best players and yes i wouldn't mind paying him more next year if he proves durable. Plus he is FUN to watch, his game is so smooth.

Paul Gasol is still valuable to this team at least for this year. He isn't really a bad player its just his contract is too much but we can trade his contract easily in the off season so no need to do it by the deadline.

Marco Belinelli - your right playoff teams would be interested which is why the Spurs will keep him because they will be a playoff team!

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot on, really wish the Spurs tanked hard this season and flipped Kawhi for picks.

The roster is very awkwardly built.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess people missed the part where I meant to say ** If they are out of playoff contention by the trade deadline.

My bad.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Players they should sell IF they are out of playoff contention come February.

If they weren't sellers this offseason, there's literally no way in hrll they'll be sellers at the deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't afford to be sellers. This is the franchise that lost money in the season they made the WCF. Even if the FO would like to consider blowing it up they likely will not get it approved.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't afford to be sellers. This is the franchise that lost money in the season they made the WCF. Even if the FO would like to consider blowing it up they likely will not get it approved.
    Selling high on role players who can be easily replaced is not blowing it up.

The owners usually let Pop & RC do whatever they think is best. They gave them their approval for trading Kawhi during the season last year and did not demand win now pieces. The ultimate goal was a win now piece, a young prospect, plus a future asset in a 1st and they got all 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess people missed the part where I meant to say ** If they are out of playoff contention by the trade deadline.

My bad.
    Oh snap... yeah i must have skimmed over that part. I thought you had jumped off a cliff already but at least your keeping things in perspective. Just sick of everyone being so damn depressed around here. We don't even know what we really have yet!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll just wait for that day n find out

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ¿Pues quien sabe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs definitely won't be out of playoff contention in February if they don't have injuries to at least DeRozan or Aldridge. They could miss, but if they do, it'll be as the ninth-seed, not the 13th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is trade bait. So is Bertans. Both Gasol and Mills can go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only person I see being traded is Rudy Gay. I only think he would be traded if he wanted to be traded. No one wants Pau’s contract. He still has a partial guarantee next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. The only scenario I could see where they're out of playoff contention by February, is if injuries further decimate them, particularly Aldridge and/or DeRozan. If that happens, they'll obviously pin their plight on injuries and will want to see how the team looks the following season with presumed better health and a few tweaks.

Gay: If Evans, a better, more coveted archetype, could apparently only fetch a 2nd last season, there's no reason to think he'd fetch more. Given their embarrassing wing situation and the ability to move him back to PF next season, he could still make sense if contractually synched to Aldridge-DeRozan. The likely alternatives don't move the needle: Williams (via trade), Young, Green, Aminu.

Gasol: He'll probably be shopped, but I'd imagine the chances of something coming to fruition are probably more likely after the season.

Belinelli: There's no reason to think they'd move on again so soon. Like Gay, probably only fetches a 2nd + an unwanted expiring to match salaries.

I see Gay, presuming relative health, being able to command something like 2/$20-25M and DeRozan similar to Aldridge's extension. The market isn't going to be flush for aging, archaic types. They make no sense for elite or re-building teams and either already like or probably will like playing on a team where being wilfully ignorant to the way the game is played today is not only accepted, but encouraged.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My bad.
    I don’t know about anyone else of course, but i didn’t miss it which is why i siad playoff seeding is unlikely to be decided two months in advance. Like last season some will go down until the very last week. Only way they really are so awful to burn it down is with Lamarcus getting hurt. I don’t think Derozan has it in him to carry the team by himself with roleplayers like Lamarcus did last season. If Lamarcus gets hurt it’s over.

Even then, I don’t think they will trade pieces off like you suggest. I suspect Pop still spends the season trying to coax wins from the group.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really hope they get something for that Pau deal. Like give me Mahimni’s or Biyombo’s contract and a pick for Pau.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread can only be made I'd you missed that they traded Kawhi for DeRozan so why make it? Just dumb. They aren't tanking. Just deal.

Thread Information