San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was wondering if anyone saw what I did
    Sanogo
    A brute

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the Spurs have historically put a lot of stock in combine performances (see: Primo, Joshua), but I would be wary of drawing too many conclusions from such a small sample size as one or two scrimmages. Anybody can have a good game on any given night. The trick is to do it consistently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Brandin Podziemski video is hilarious. Early, he says how he hates being slotted as "just another white player" and then later, when asked who he models his game after, he rattles off like five different white players.

I've heard he barked and screamed at his teammates a lot at SC and he comes off as that kind of 'determined' that's closer to insecure and annoying, like he won't settle down and understand what his role is.

Amari Bailey can really be the guy at 33. A weird pick in terms of draft-slot, but if no one better slips. My feeling is the team won't be able to move up for a defensive guard and so will take a stab here. But then, as discussed elsewhere, the development horizon for these flawed players has changed immensely in the last six weeks.

Olivier-Maxence Prosper, it feels like he compensates for a lack of feel with his length and motor, which on one hand is great. It's good he works hard and is long. But he's jumpy and gets out of position in ways that trouble me. Think I'd take Jordan Walsh, who is only a freshman (vs. junior). Granted, his shooting is totally 'a work in progress,' but my gut is that his feel is far, far better. I had that sense watching Arkansas games: a knack for making plays. He'll bust his ass and be a dog and if he can become a junkyard dog off the bench, that's not too bad.

Sanogo seems like a guy who will perform better than his draft spot. He hit threes as a decent percentage this year, but is it real? Wasn't at a big rate. He doesn't block shots, really, either.

The rest I don't have big ideas about.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shepherd is the most safety and valuable in this group, if Spurs could drafts him at 33 ( highly unlikely though)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shepherd is the most safety and valuable in this group, if Spurs could drafts him at 33 ( highly unlikely though)
    yeah thats my fav at that spot.. he got alot of attention so i dont see him making it to 33.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No evidence to support this, but kind of have a feeling if the Spurs can’t move up they might just trade away both 2nd rounders. I wonder if maybe 33 could be turned into a future lotto protected #1 for a team in need of cheap depth

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can still pick good role players at 33 and this draft offers good value in early second round. Spurs should consolidate second round picks in this draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandin Podziemsky stands at 6’4” without shoes and boosted a 39” vertical. I don’t think that’s iffy athleticism. He shots 44% downtown and rebounds about 8 per game. He posted a near triple-double at the Combined. He is regarded at one of the purest shooter in this draft, while he dives for the ball. He earns about 4 trips at the FT per game. I wouldn’t be upset if Spurs picked him at 33

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No evidence to support this, but kind of have a feeling if the Spurs can’t move up they might just trade away both 2nd rounders. I wonder if maybe 33 could be turned into a future lotto protected #1 for a team in need of cheap depth
    Imo the 33 will be used to draft or move up; too many interesting prospects who will be there with the 33

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandin Podziemsky stands at 6’4” without shoes and boosted a 39” vertical. I don’t think that’s iffy athleticism. He shots 44% downtown and rebounds about 8 per game. He posted a near triple-double at the Combined. He is regarded at one of the purest shooter in this draft, while he dives for the ball. He earns about 4 trips at the FT per game. I wouldn’t be upset if Spurs picked him at 33
    I'm wondering if he might have fudged his standing reach to get a higher vert. His standing reach measured at 8' 0.5" at the combine. That's nearly the same as Mike Miles and Adam Flagler and was among the lowest at the combine. Mike Miles and Adam Flagler are 6' 1" with shorter wingspans than Podziemsky.

Also, the rest of his athletic measurements weren't particularly wowing. They weren't bad, but they weren't great either. He's the prospect that I don't understand the hype for and really hope the Spurs don't take.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue with Brandin I think will be his defense I don't know if he will be able to stay in front of NBA guards?

Pop does like defensive guys so who knows Jordan Walsh might be in play he all ready has a NBA body and he definitely has that dog in him when playing. Yea, obviously he has to work on shooting but that is why guys like this fall into the second round. Looking at his High School tape I think he can improve on the offensive side but on the defensive side he is NBA + as soon as he hits the floor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve been on the Amari Bailey train for about 3 weeks now. Depending on who’s available of course, if he’s there at 33, I’d take a swing on him unless someone better with a First Round Grade falls (which is possible).

I also posted about Ben Sheppard in the other 2RP thread. He seems very Spursy to me. Really good 3-point shooter (41%) and competes on the defensive end. High-IQ player with good size at 6’6 though just a 6’8 wingspan. High-character kid who teams seem to be high on after his good showing at the combine. Now a great athlete but good enough. Surrounding Wemby with 3-point shooters and switchable defenders is always a good idea.

If O-Max were to fall to 33, I think the Spurs would seriously consider taking him. He has nice potential as a 3&D guy off the bench, and those are more valuable today than ever. His 3-point shot is already serviceable, but his percentages should increase with reps as he has good form on his jumper. Could be a KBD replacement if he drops and a good price moving forward.

Podziemski is a bit of a wildcard in this draft. Skill-wise, he has everything you look for in a modern guard. Great shooter, good passer, can handle the rock, good feel for the game, seems to be unselfish, competes hard, and plays well in the PnR. What holds him back is his physical limitations. Measured just a hair under 6’4 barefoot at the combine with just a 6’5 wingspan. Is neither a great vertical nor lateral athlete. His defense is by far the biggest projected weakness at the next level. Whether or not he can learn to defend guys despite his physical shortcomings will determine how long he lasts in this league. But he’s got the offensive abilities to play in the NBA.

Would much rather trade back into the lottery to take one of those guards of course, but if the Spurs are unable to do so, I hope we keep the 33rd pick because there will be a handful of prospects worth drafting and developing tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting to me that Prosper's 40 inch vertical is frequently mentioned as proof of his athleticism, but Podziemsky's 39 inch vertical is dismissed because of some vague eye test criteria. Prosper averaged 4.7 rpg and 9.2 rebs per 100 possessions, while Podz averaged 8.8 rpg and 13.7 res per 100 possessions. Podz also got significantly more steals and blocks than Prosper. It's kinda strange that Podz is short, has a mediocre wingspan, and is unathletic, but still rebounded like a center from the guard position.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith was unimpressive on the court, not just with his shooting, but BBIQ. Just lost so much of the time. Looks like a bust.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch them draft a guy like Keyonte George or Nick Smith if they slide on draft night. Feels like O-Max and Sheppard will rise on draft night because everyone saw what they did in the pre-draft process. I would personally love to see either of those guys in a Spurs uni if they fall to the late first or early second.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't believe spurs are as enthusiastic as ST reagarding those 2SRPs and about trading up (considering what it woul cost). I don't see them picking some prospect there just for the sake of it, but rather focusing on bringing more experience to the roster... There are already a lot of players to develop (Vic, Sochan, Tre, Devin, Malaki, Wesley, Keldon still to some extent) + the fringe guys (Mamu, Barlowe, Champ). Is there still room for a prospect who will have around a 25-35% probability to become valuable if picked in the 20-35 zone?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't believe spurs are as enthusiastic as ST reagarding those 2SRPs and about trading up (considering what it woul cost). I don't see them picking some prospect there just for the sake of it, but rather focusing on bringing more experience to the roster... There are already a lot of players to develop (Vic, Sochan, Tre, Devin, Malaki, Wesley, Keldon still to some extent) + the fringe guys (Mamu, Barlowe, Champ). Is there still room for a prospect who will have around 25% probability to become valuable if picked in the 20-35 zone?
    Can you be specific about what experience they might bring onto the roster?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone ever made an analysis comparing actual production vs "projection"? That is to say, how suppossed "low ceiling" guys that produced a lot in college fared in the NBA compared to guys that didn't produce much in college but were supposedly "big upside" prospects? The Wisemans vs the Keegan Murrays of this world. I think it would be an interesting aspect to consider.
    Last edited by DAF86; 06-19-2023 at 12:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got Wemby, we could strike out on the rest of this draft and I will still sleep soundly at night

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got Wemby, we could strike out on the rest of this draft and I will still sleep soundly at night
    So the front office did basically nothing other than get lucky to land Wemby and that will be OK.

The FO still has work to do to build a winner around Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the front office did basically nothing other than get lucky to land Wemby and that will be OK.

The FO still has work to do to build a winner around Wemby.
    And they should make a move in this draft just for the sake of that? They got a potential generational talent in the draft, that's a fantastic year... There are different ways to build a contender around Victor and that'll probalby pass by trading for established stars or role players more than trading Keldon + 2 picks for all Bufkins or Blacks of the world who may not even really boom. Spurs need certainty now, more than gambles. you don't mess and gamble much when you have Victor and everything to buld around him.

Thread Information