Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have gone out and gotten one of these guys as they were both on the trade block and both fit perfectly in desperately needed roles on this team. Instead the Knicks and Raptors traded them for each other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depending on what Brian thinks of his targets in the draft, and what those teams wanted from us, it might not have been worth it. To be really honest, most of our starters will make good bench players. No need to jettison them haphazardly if the upgrades isn’t far and away better than what we’ll draft in 8 months or so.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"We refused to give up Branham and Wesley for those guys because of CHARACTER!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well
    Let's see how long Quickley stays on the raptors
    Interesting trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re both rentals.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you really expect Wright to make any moves to improve the team? He's never been good in any aspect of running a front office outside of ac ulating picks. And then when it comes time to use the picks, he drafts no talent bums.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re both rentals.
    I thought there wasn't a lot of capspace out there this year? You'd have Bird Rights and not a lot of compe ion to keep them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought there wasn't a lot of capspace out there this year? You'd have Bird Rights and not a lot of compe ion to keep them.
    OG is going to ask for at least 30 a year, not worth the money.
    Quickley will be in 20-25 range and I think Spurs should've tried to trade for him.
    Idk, maybe they don't want to deal with the Knicks after the Morris fiasco.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way I give OG 30 million. Anymore than Reaves being worth that. Reaves isn’t having that bad a season either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both guys will be signed to relatively big deals for $25-30million per year.
    Only Quickley would have been worth it for the Spurs.
    We need to put our money towards Wemby and a playmaker (that we don’t have yet)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re both rentals.
    Quickly won't be a rental. While NYK might not have might not have matched him, TOR will. TOR likely views him the same way as everyone else does, and now they've got a clear path toward him being a key part of their future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way I give OG 30 million. Anymore than Reaves being worth that. Reaves isn’t having that bad a season either.
    I would. Better than having jack of no trades Sochan as your main perimeter defender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s a fair and balanced trade actually. Raptors basically get cost controlled RJ (Canadian) to replace OG’s production on offense, and a chance to convince Quickley to stay to be their PG of the future along with the ability to match any offer for him if they want to lock him up long term.

Knicks get a player at a position of need, and more importantly his Bird Rights. Quick look at the cap space situation this summer, and it’s not clear which team would have the max level money OG is looking for. This allows the Knicks to basically make the biggest offer.

Win-Win

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s a fair and balanced trade actually. Raptors basically get cost controlled RJ (Canadian) to replace OG’s production on offense, and a chance to convince Quickley to stay to be their PG of the future along with the ability to match any offer for him if they want to lock him up long term.

Knicks get a player at a position of need, and more importantly his Bird Rights. Quick look at the cap space situation this summer, and it’s not clear which team would have the max level money OG is looking for. This allows the Knicks to basically make the biggest offer.

Win-Win
    Agree

Neither team would be interested in what the Spurs had to offer unless they unloaded a good portion of their first round picks and no way the spurs will consider doing that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both teams wanted players instead of picks so we didn't really have the ammo to get anything done. I think this trade helps the Toronto pick convey this year though. I really like it for both teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'd be interesting to know what kind of talks the Knicks had beforehand with Anunoby. He'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and if he were to go elsewhere, the Knicks would be in a bad position, having lost two important rotation players for nothing. Quickley is restricted, so Toronto at least has the option of matching. Smart trade for the Raptors... , I think IQ for OG would've been fair, so to get an extra player and a draft pick for a guy that everyone was sure to be leaving is an impressive haul.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 12-30-2023 at 04:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'd be interesting to know what kind of talks the Knicks had beforehand with Anunoby. He'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and if he were to go elsewhere, they Knicks would be in a bad position, having lost two important rotation players for nothing. Quickley is restricted, so Toronto at least has the option of matching. Smart trade for the Raptors... , I think IQ for OG would've been fair, so to get an extra player and a draft pick for a guy that everyone was sure to be leaving is an impressive haul.
    It’s their fault for not trading OG last year when he had more value instead of them being buyers at the deadline for no reason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'd be interesting to know what kind of talks the Knicks had beforehand with Anunoby. He'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and if he were to go elsewhere, they Knicks would be in a bad position, having lost two important rotation players for nothing. Quickley is restricted, so Toronto at least has the option of matching. Smart trade for the Raptors... , I think IQ for OG would've been fair, so to get an extra player and a draft pick for a guy that everyone was sure to be leaving is an impressive haul.
    I doubt any party of the trade saw RJ Barrett and his 4/110 contract as a positive asset. If anything, Toronto probably asked for picks because they were taking on that long term money for a player who only plays well against the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s their fault for not trading OG last year when he had more value instead of them being buyers at the deadline for no reason

I kinda feel the same about KJ, to be honest-- last summer he was still a young energy guy averaging 22 ppg. Now he's scoring 17 a game and so bad defensively that he can't even be hidden next to VW. I think his trade value is way down.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure we don't have the caliber of players to trade for either of these guys tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anunoby is supposedly willing to take a discount to play in New York and the Craptors clearly don't want to re-build, so even if the Spurs overpaid in draft equity for Quickley, it's doubtful the Knicks, who've been chasing Anunoby for a year, would have done it because it'd have less appeal to the Craptors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks losing on Quickley.

Anunoby is definitely the better player of the two and it would have been AMAZING having him here, but he's not who we need right now. Sochan would have lost all of his touches and would 100% have been a bust. There's a chance he's similarly good relative to Anunoby 3 years from now and he'll be a lot younger and probably cheaper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks losing on Quickley.

Anunoby is definitely the better player of the two and it would have been AMAZING having him here, but he's not who we need right now. Sochan would have lost all of his touches and would 100% have been a bust. There's a chance he's similarly good relative to Anunoby 3 years from now and he'll be a lot younger and probably cheaper.
    Sochan is a bust and hasn't earned any touches. I'd give him up in a second if it would have moved the needle an inch to get Anunoby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will have an opportunity to sign unrestricted FAs in the near future now that other players know they can work with VW. It's going to be a destination for at least one or two players who want to be on a team on the upswing. There is no reason to lock into restricted free agents next summer and then not get them due to matching. There may be a single player the Spurs could move at this year's deadline for the right asset (like the JP trade with Toronto), but the 2024 draft might be a more realistic time to make a move to get a veteran player who can positively impact the younger players.

Thread Information