Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's frustrating, but there is method behind the madness. Wemby is 19. He therefore has 19-year-old bones/muscles/connective tissue. With the obvious facts out in front, it'd be foolish to throw that type of body into the deep end by having him bang with seasoned veteran bigs with no safety precautions like minutes restrictions. The chance that he sustains a serious injury is much more mitigated this way.

This is also most likely the reason they allowed Wemby to try his hand out in the perimeter to see out it went. That and the simple fact that there is a lot of value in allowing your young superstar talent to try things out their way and experience firsthand how successful or not their way is. Makes a person more coachable/teachable in the future when they've tried their desired method and failed.

Regardless, less contact, equals less wear and tear on comparably (compared to most other NBA players) fragile joints. His physiology has to be allowed to grow into not only NBA wear and tear, but NBA big wear and tear, and that will take time.

No point in grinding down your miraculous draft project any sooner than you have to. To the poor impatient souls that think this is a wasted season, it's not. Wemby is learning and adjusting to the NBA nightly. The physicality and speed of players, tricks of the trade to become a craftier player, and little adjustments to increase efficiency and overall just learning how he can best contribute to turning his production into wins are all little milestones that have to be encountered and overcome.

Painful as it is, patience is needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What mismanagement?

Getting another top 10 talent to pair with wemby is the right move. Only one way to pick that range and you know it.

And if it works out SA is reloaded with deep young talent, financial flexibility, and future draft capital- the official stated goal.

More like stupid Spurs fans mismanaging their expectations. Pop gunning for postseason contention with rookie wemby would be actual mismanagement.

Wemby isnt ready yet, say Dame would resent carrying a young inexperienced team and likely falling short and then blowing our cap flexibility in the future with his albatross contract structure, wemby would get confidence issues falling short and some vets plus wemby and a tank does for us now and plus 5 wins wouldn't be worth the potential cost on ping pong balls nor would assuage our thirst for lasting, meaningful wins. and did someone say rivers and CP3 LOL

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Detroit Pistons,,,in the last 4 years,,,drafted the 7th overall pick, 1st overall, 5th overall, and 5th overall,,,and they just broke the NBA record for most losses in a row in NBA history. Tanking for the draft is a mistake and Wemby will be gone,,,,but some spurs fans think its the right move,,,,just go ask Detroit if all those high draft picks have panned out as they had hoped. Spurs should have traded for proven players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    « Sochan has a total of 11 assists to Wemby this season... they've played 24 games together
    That means he's averaging 0.45 assists per game to Wemby this season

How tf does that happen between a lead guard and the team's best player »

Truth bomb in the tweets in the article

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    « Sochan has a total of 11 assists to Wemby this season... they've played 24 games together
    That means he's averaging 0.45 assists per game to Wemby this season

How tf does that happen between a lead guard and the team's best player »

Truth bomb in the tweets in the article
    Rack it.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby could average 28 a game and spurs fans would that we don’t have balanced scoring. All spurs fans do is .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the downside of drafting a huge prospect. There are a bunch of ty player-fans running around trying to sew as much division as possible in order to put their guy on a pedestal. Pop obviously deserves a lot of push-back, but Victor is having a pretty successful rookie year, and folks who think he's going to come and be like Duncan can't handle Wemby's rawness. They have to believe it's the result of some special incompetence or malice on everyone else's part. Sean Elliott is right there among them. Dude played with two rookie first-overall picks who were physically mature and far more actualized for NBA compe ion, and he just assumes Wemby is in the same place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the downside of drafting a huge prospect. There are a bunch of ty player-fans running around trying to sew as much division as possible in order to put their guy on a pedestal.
    Oh, I've had plenty of help from the old man on that front. I haven't even had to do much. He's been absolute garbage in literally every single aspect of the team this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What mismanagement?

Getting another top 10 talent to pair with wemby is the right move. Only one way to pick that range and you know it.

And if it works out SA is reloaded with deep young talent, financial flexibility, and future draft capital- the official stated goal.

More like stupid Spurs fans mismanaging their expectations. Pop gunning for postseason contention with rookie wemby would be actual mismanagement.

Wemby isnt ready yet, say Dame would resent carrying a young inexperienced team and likely falling short and then blowing our cap flexibility in the future with his albatross contract structure, wemby would get confidence issues falling short and some vets plus wemby and a tank does for us now and plus 5 wins wouldn't be worth the potential cost on ping pong balls nor would assuage our thirst for lasting, meaningful wins. and did someone say rivers and CP3 LOL
    Top 10 won’t cut it. Top 3-5 would give us what we need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 10 won’t cut it. Top 3-5 would give us what we need.
    They'll be picking in the top 5 for the next 4 years until Wemby is off the team tbh. Don't matter when you're drafting busts every draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I've had plenty of help from the old man on that front. I haven't even had to do much. He's been absolute garbage in literally every single aspect of the team this season
    Wasn't talking about you. You're to edgelord as Ex is to sniffer. People have just moved to where you've been, though for different reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't talking about you. You're to edgelord as Ex is to sniffer. People have just moved to where you've been, though for different reasons.
    And I love it, Chin. They'll be fully on board by the end of the season. There will be a small glimmer of hope during the offseason with whatever crap rookie(s) they end up drafting that might let some morons swing back the other way. Then it'll settle back in when the team is even worse during the first 15-20 games of next season

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think Wemby is hurt and he is close to hitting that rookie wall they need to mange his injuries. I am sure his team has a big say in how many minutes he is getting or not getting. He is going to miss a couple of games soon and it's going to be fun watching all the posters totally loose it when this happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What mismanagement?

I am frustrated as a fan because I want to see the Spurs and Wemby succeed. But I also keep preaching patience because the writing is ALL OVER THE WALL.

This team is 4-25.

At this point, there is no reason for winning games other than morale....and half this team is going to be gone in two seasons. Tanking is a two or three year process at best.

Suffer through this season, get another good draft pick...and start over next year. It's not like we were going to win the championship this year anyways

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am frustrated as a fan because I want to see the Spurs and Wemby succeed. But I also keep preaching patience because the writing is ALL OVER THE WALL.

This team is 4-25.

At this point, there is no reason for winning games other than morale....and half this team is going to be gone in two seasons. Tanking is a two or three year process at best.

Suffer through this season, get another good draft pick...and start over next year. It's not like we were going to win the championship this year anyways
    Well, you're right. Winning a game at this point is only for "morale."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think pop is mismanaging Wemby at all. He has a free reign on offense. Huge usage rate. But I dislike how he is mismanaging our other prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, there is no reason for winning games other than morale...
    Craig Popplevich April 2022

“There’s a lot to unpack there. Part if it is, it’s just not who we are. It’s not who I am. I can’t operate like that. Which might not be the most intelligent overall philosophy to have, and I get that. But we are who we are. We’re going to go ahead and complete.
    “I think the young players gain a real understanding of a philosophically moral space where it’s the right thing to do, to continue to compete. Frankly, I don’t know how I would go to my team and say, ‘Ok guys, we’re not going to complete the way we should,’ or how you’d get that across, or with a wink and a nod. I think you do the players a disservice if they’re not able to go out and perform at the best of their ability.
    “I think the lessons to be learned are very important as their careers advance. You hope that in the long run, that value they game from that will help them compete at an even higher level later. I understand the opposite, I just can’t do it.

Gregg Popovich on why the Spurs were never planning on tanking - Pounding The Rock

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4-25, all spurs fans do is ...we also boo... but we shouldnt.. not spursy..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any 2024 top 5 pick possibly will need an adjustment period too unless it's a finished product

24-25 season might look a lot like this one so get ready

You front runners might wanna just check back in 3 seasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby is #1 in usage among all NBA rookies right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All top prospects are 19 year olds these days, which means that whatever top pick we get is just going to bring in another guy who needs years to develop, with no semblance of a real NBA team around him.

As I posted here, Wemby is the only "Generational Talent" since the lottery was created to fail to make his team better, either by number of wins or win %, and that is even being generous on what we consider a "Generational Talent".

Think about that for a moment. The most touted prospect in 20 years... and not only is the team worse, it is considerably worse. The main cast has remained the same and we have put out a mockery of professional basketball. We even have a worse +/- that the team who may legitimately threaten the worst season of all time (who are notably on a strategy seemingly similar to ours, with two top 5 picks following their #1 overall pick, and headed straight towards another... how exciting).

There is no other way to describe this than a dereliction of management, as intentional as it may be.

I don't know Wemby, but he seems like the kind of guy who will be loyal to those who are loyal to him. I don't think he would describe the management of team to date as what is best for Wemby.

Spurs right now remind me of Williams F1 Racing... a team with a great history is basically just a joke at this point.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    It's the downside of drafting a huge prospect. There are a bunch of ty player-fans running around trying to sew as much division as possible in order to put their guy on a pedestal. Pop obviously deserves a lot of push-back, but Victor is having a pretty successful rookie year, and folks who think he's going to come and be like Duncan can't handle Wemby's rawness. They have to believe it's the result of some special incompetence or malice on everyone else's part. Sean Elliott is right there among them. Dude played with two rookie first-overall picks who were physically mature and far more actualized for NBA compe ion, and he just assumes Wemby is in the same place.
    It must be a conspiracy across the league. No way it's actually true, despite what we see every night with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was watching the Bulls game with the Bulls commentators and wondering who was the guy calling out the Spurs offense. It was Stacy King! I enjoyed listening to them. They were almost pulling for the Spurs at the end. Kind of like the end of Braveheart where the crowd turns and starts yelling mercy lol

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I don't really know what is to be gleamed from letting Victor "figure it out" and "observe" him playing because he was always going to do what 19 year old 1st overall picks do, have a few good games some amazing highlights and be mostly inefficient.

Purposely not playing him with a point guard is dumb and purposely playing him with a power forward who is failing horribly at being a point guard is downright ing stupid.

Thread Information