Birthday: 01/18/1990
    College: Louisville

DraftExpress
    NBADraft

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think he is better playing with Splitter or with Baynes?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm no expert, but his strength is PnR and defense... I think he'd be good coming off the bench with Baynes to anchor the bench defense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is my first round pick....that is if I have my way. Blair and most likely Bonner will not be back. I see Dieng being Splitter's primary backup.

In fact, if I were to have my way, we draft Dieng, Muscala, and Ennis....we let Blair and Bonner walk....

C - Splitter, Dieng, Baynes
    PF - Duncan, Diaw, Muscala
    SF - Leonard, Jackson/Neal, Ennis
    SG - Green, Manu, De Colo
    PG - Parker, Cujo, Mills

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is my first round pick....that is if I have my way. Blair and most likely Bonner will not be back. I see Dieng being Splitter's primary backup.

In fact, if I were to have my way, we draft Dieng, Muscala, and Ennis....we let Blair and Bonner walk....

PG - Parker, Cujo, Mills
    A couple of points:

1) Bonner is still under contract next year. So the only way you let him walk is by amnestying him. But he actually has decent trade value since hes about a $4M expiring next season.

2) listing Neal as a SF. Lets just be honest, theres no way that he could consistently play that spot in any universe. Maybe in a small ball lineup, but, of course, thats situational.

3) Not sure how we're going to get three picks. We only have our first and second.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A couple of points:

1) Bonner is still under contract next year. So the only way you let him walk is by amnestying him. But he actually has decent trade value since hes about a $4M expiring next season.

2) listing Neal as a SF. Lets just be honest, theres no way that he could consistently play that spot in any universe. Maybe in a small ball lineup, but, of course, thats situational.

3) Not sure how we're going to get three picks. We only have our first and second.
    I am hoping we can get a pick via trade....perhaps bonner or neal in the offseason. Listing Neal at SF is a stretch, I know.....but, I was basically pointing out that in my scenario, we keep either Jax or Neal, but not both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am hoping we can get a pick via trade....perhaps bonner or neal in the offseason. Listing Neal at SF is a stretch, I know.....but, I was basically pointing out that in my scenario, we keep either Jax or Neal, but not both.
    1) Bonner is very tradeable this offseason. But hes tradeable as an expiring, not on his merits as a player. We would have to move him in exchange or another player, one with more years on his contract (someone trying to dump money in other words). So if he netted us a draft pick in addition to that player, we'd have to be taking on a pretty damn big and undesirable asset (see the Stephen Jackson for Richard Jefferson + 1st rounder). Besides, the best time to trade an expiring is usually at the trade deadline in Februrary. That precludes us from getting a draft pick this year...although maybe 2014?

2) We can't trade Neal. His contract is up at the end of the season. Same with Blair. That ship has sailed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't Portland always buy first rounders from teams?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

PG - Parker, Cujo, Mills
    I think they should draft Dieng with the 1st and trade DeColo and the 2nd in the 2nd to get Patric Young. Thats 2 athletic frontcourt players who will give okc, grizz, clipps and yes letting Blair and Bonner walk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to make sure people in this thread understand, Bonner will either be traded or cut by draft night, or he will be on the team next season. His last year has only $1 Million guaranteed. So his value will probably be the highest before that June 29, when his deal becomes fully guaranteed. I don't think the Spurs would commit to paying an extra $3 Million in salary just to keep that trade window open. If they don't want Bonner, they'll probably just cut him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless he has great playoffs, I don't think Spurs would be considering keeping Bonner for $3M.

What Spurs will do with him will highly depend on what they plan is for the summer.

If their plan is to use cap space:
    The best option would be to negotiate with Bonner to postpone his guaranteed salary deadline by a couple of weeks and then to amnesty him.

If their plan is to use the MLE:
    The best option would be to try a draft day trade with Bonner contract. If Spurs don't find an offer they like, then cut Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless he has great playoffs, I don't think Spurs would be considering keeping Bonner for $3M.

What Spurs will do with him will highly depend on what they plan is for the summer.

If their plan is to use cap space:
    The best option would be to negotiate with Bonner to postpone his guaranteed salary deadline by a couple of weeks and then to amnesty him.

If their plan is to use the MLE:
    The best option would be to try a draft day trade with Bonner contract. If Spurs don't find an offer they like, then cut Bonner.
    It's also possible that there could be a mix of those scenarios: If the Spurs can get Bonner to push back his guarantee date, they can trade him after draft night, when they can take back a full 150 percent of his deal. If the Spurs target Mbah a Moute or Derrick Williams (or any player making more than $4.6 Million this season but less than $6 Million next season), they'd really be out of luck trading for him until the new league year rolls around.

As far as I understand, there is no rule against the Spurs doing a long-term trade with another team on draft night, where the Spurs pick a player for another team, but wait to trade him until July.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dieng is my first and only choice for the Spurs in the upcoming NBA draft. He has exactly the skill set the Spurs need. Good defender, solid rebounding and formidable shot-blocker. I've made a point to watch a couple of his college games this year. While his offensive game is improving, the Spurs don't need that as much as the other stuff he brings to the court. The fact that he is an older junior should increase the chances of him lasting until the end of the round. Im my opinion, he would be an ideal fit for the Spurs.

Apparently, some other NBA pundits feel the same.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-art...reat-spur.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we sign him send him straight to Houston to get one on one training from the Dream..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we sign him send him straight to Houston to get one on one training from the Dream..
    Because the Spurs don't have any all time great big men past and present?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the Spurs don't have any all time great big men past and present?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my pick. Could provide much needed Shotblocking, and Seems like a good person too. Larry Sanders lite. Probably available in the mid 20s.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs could land Dieng as a late first-round pick that would be amazing. Watching this guy in the tournament he looks like a great defender and solid rebounder. You can't teach a 7'6" wingspan. His offense is not bad as far as finishing is concerned either.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely still my choice, but he's moving up the draft board and possibly out of reach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I was afraid of he and his team having a stellar performance in the tournament and advancing to the Final Four, thereby increasing his exposure and perhaps making him out of the Spurs reach in the upcoming NBA draft. So far, that is EXACTLY what seems to be happening. Dieng has had a fairly decent showing in this tournament and I'd guess that he's improved his draft stock considerably. Therefore, I'd be very surprised if he lasts until the late reaches of the 1st round.
    Last edited by SenorSpur; 04-06-2013 at 09:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I was afraid of he and his team having a stellar performance in the tournament and advancing to the Final Four, thereby increasing his exposure and perhaps making him out of the Spurs reach in the upcoming NBA draft. So far, that is EXACTLY what seems to be happening. Dieng has had a fairly decent showing in this tournament and I'd guess that he's improved his draft stock considerably. Therefore, I'd be very surprised if he lasts until the late reaches of the 1st round.
    He was always going to be out of our reach. Big men are always over paid and over drafted. If some center is rated in the 20s, you can be sure that a team will reach for him in the early teens.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you look at all the college kids and international big's coming out it seems like we should be able to get one good big this year. But I know that RC is going to draft another PG in the first round...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you look at all the college kids and international big's coming out it seems like we should be able to get one good big this year. But I know that RC is going to draft another PG in the first round...
    If the FO could only learn to have a decent draft, could you imagine how good this team could be?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    had about 6-8 huge points late in the 2nd half

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is about to become a five page semen fest followed by a huge meltdown when the Spurs pass on him for a Euro stash.

Thread Information