Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On Wednesday, Congress was so determined to pass a law to sue Saudi Arabia that it overrode President Barack Obama’s veto.

But possible backlash against America had top Republican leaders looking for someone else to blame Thursday.

And they appear to have settled on Obama.

The White House called the override the “single most embarrassing thing that the United States Senate has done” in decades.

Even 28 lawmakers who had just helped to pass the first override of Obama’s presidency sent a letter to their own leaders Thursday saying maybe there should be changes.

So Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) leveled at least partial blame on Obama.

“That was a good example, it seems to me, of a failure to communicate early about the potential consequences of a piece of legislation,”

( O'Connell's from KY, so it looks like the illiterate asshole really does have KY jelly for brains. )

McConnell told reporters before Congress got out of town until after the elections.

“By the time everybody seemed to focus on some potential consequences of it, members had already basically taken a position.”
    “I wish the president —

I hate to blame everything on him, and I don’t

— but it would have been helpful had he, uh, we had a discussion about this much earlier than last week.”

Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas), a sponsor of bill, was harsher on Wednesday, while his colleagues were working up their letter expressing doubts.

“What’s so remarkable to me is the detachment of this White House from anything to do with the legislative process,” Cornyn told reporters. “They were basically missing in action during this whole process.”

Before criticism started blowing up around the world over JASTA,

Republicans accused Obama of doing too much to kill the bill they are now worried about.

And Cornyn in particular was angry about it. He said so in April, on the Senate floor, just before Obama went to meet with the Saudis.

“Unfortunately, the administration has worked to undercut progress of this legislation at every turn,”
    Cornyn said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...iff%20HuffPost

Repug Congress is as ed up, hypocritical as Trash.

So the Repugs voted for this JASTA crap without reading the bill and without thinking through consequences, and they are blaming their on Obama.

I have NO DOUBT that the Repugs all voted for JASTA simply because Obama was against it.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what was the vote count?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, no Democrats voted to override him, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what was the vote count?
    97-1 senate
    house 348-77

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a rare perfect storm that caused such a bipartisan landslide.

The Democrats are strongly pro-civil lawsuit, and the Republicans are strongly anti-Muslim. Very few other combined factors could have caused such a remarkable coalition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is one of the worst examples of political optics overriding rational thought in decades. Both parties are to blame... but no one wanted to be the person who voted against the 9/11 victims even though a simple cost-benefit analysis shows how horrible of a thing they just did to our country. We would have been better off just paying the victims whatever they wanted from Saudi Arabia (assuming there is even an effective case against SA).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is one of the worst examples of political optics overriding rational thought in decades. Both parties are to blame... but no one wanted to be the person who voted against the 9/11 victims even though a simple cost-benefit analysis shows how horrible of a thing they just did to our country. We would have been better off just paying them whatever they wanted from Saudi Arabia (assuming there is even an effective case against them).
    Not to mention it's going to fck gas prices.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, no Democrats voted to override him, right?
    That's one thing. Turning around after you voted to override the veto and saying Obama (even though he VETOED THE BILL) didn't educate you enough about the risks is an absolute joke that even you should be able to put your pom poms down to admit.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not to mention it's going to fck gas prices.
    how

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's one thing. Turning around after you voted to override the veto and saying Obama (even though he VETOED THE BILL) didn't educate you enough about the risks is an absolute joke that even you should be able to put your pom poms down to admit.
    Co-signed. This is especially true when you consider how rarely he has used the veto.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, it's a nothing law. You can sue Saudi Arabia ALL day, who is going to make them pay? Who is going to enforce American law decisions in Saudi Arabia? Same with the inverse. Each country will laugh at these "lawsuits" and it won't change anything. It wont open a "can of worms" like the fear-mongering propaganda will make you believe.

All it is is Obama pandering to his customers. Dude wants to still be able to sell them billions of dollars in weapons once Hitlery wins her rigged election. It's really, really a non-issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, it's a nothing law. You can sue Saudi Arabia ALL day, who is going to make them pay? Who is going to enforce American law decisions in Saudi Arabia? Same with the inverse. Each country will laugh at these "lawsuits" and it won't change anything. It wont open a "can of worms" like the fear-mongering propaganda will make you believe.

All it is is Obama pandering to his customers. Dude wants to still be able to sell them billions of dollars in weapons once Hitlery wins her rigged election. It's really, really a non-issue.
    Absolutely no one. Al-Shari'a is the law of the land in Wahhabi Saudistan. They laugh and mock al-boko kafireen of the West. They praise Allah for the fall of the towers. Nothing to see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oil capital of the world, o?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their's is a particularly ridiculous position because when President Obama vetoed the bill, he offered an extensive explanation for his veto and identified the specific risks that Congresspeople are now saying they hadn't considered before overriding the veto:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...resident-s2040
    Last edited by FromWayDowntown; 09-30-2016 at 12:31 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Oil capital of the world, o?
    you don't know what you are talking about.

how will that "fck gas prices?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you don't know what you are talking about.

how will that "fck gas prices?"
    they pay billions in lawsuits = crude Saudi oil goes up

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    thats not how it works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    97-1 senate
    house 348-77
    So Boots?

Harry Reid, who is not running again, is the 1 vote.
    Whats the deal?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the life of me I can't figure out why we haven't just taken over Saudi Arabia, UAE etc.Not many people to living there to fight us and we need what they have in the ground and offshore so it,why not?
    Take care of the locals and give all their women the pill cause MENA types overpopulating the world is already the real problem of our times.
    Watching the EU govts afraid to defend their borders let's me know damn sure they ain't gonna be the ones to make any hard decisions
    Look at any country that's taken in a few million MENA refugees,fubared...Lebanon etc. Lebanon won't even take any more Syrian refugees.
    Climate and overpopulation is gonna it up if not handled properly

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did you go to UNT or TrumpU?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did you go to UNT or TrumpU?
    Why are you defending Congress here? POTUS was absolutely in the right in this cir stance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before Congress overrode Obama's veto:
    Unfortunately, the administration has worked to undercut progress of this legislation at every turn
    After Congress overrode Obama's veto:
    What’s so remarkable to me is the detachment of this White House from anything to do with the legislative process. They were basically missing in action during this whole process.
    Not that it matters. As long as you have an (R) after your name, Texas will vote for you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard on NPR that in fact, the fine print doesn't strip SA of sovereign immunity, and a couple of other items that significantly weaken this bill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you defending Congress here? POTUS was absolutely in the right in this cir stance.
    Explain.

Thread Information