Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs notebook: Elson shows progress with shooting work

Web Posted: 01/10/2007 12:07 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
    Express-News
    Francisco Elson did some light shooting Tuesday for the first time since injuring his right shoulder. Team officials said he is progressing well, but don't expect him to play for at least another week. Elson has missed the past seven games since suffering a slight tear to his rotator cuff in the Dec. 26 loss to Milwaukee. He didn't accompany the team on its trip to Denver after Tuesday's game and also won't travel to Chicago this weekend.

Elson will visit the doctor again Monday to see if he can be cleared for more strenuous basketball-related activities.

Bonner proud for Gators: At least one Spurs player was thrilled with the outcome of Monday's NCAA football championship.

Matt Bonner attended the University of Florida from 1999-2003. Since he couldn't attend the game in person, he watched from his couch while friends e-mailed him pictures of the field.

Florida beat Ohio State 41-14.

"That's crazy since considering how big of underdogs (the Gators) were," Bonner said. "Everybody was writing them off.

"When (Ohio State) ran that first kickoff back for a touchdown, I thought, it's going to be a long game."

Bonner said he's reminded a few of his teammates that Florida is now the only school to ever hold football and men's basketball national les at the same time.

Of course, with the Spurs' roster filled with so many foreign-born players, there were also a few of Bonner's teammates who didn't care.

"I asked Manu (Ginobili), 'Hey, did you watch the game last night?' Bonner said. "He was like, 'What game?' He was dead serious. He had no clue.

"I was like, 'Oh, just forget it.'"

Finley returning to form: Robert Horry isn't the only Spur glad the NBA switched back to the leather ball.

Michael Finley has looked noticeably more confident since the league made the change. More importantly, he's also making more shots.

Finley has gone 14 of 29 in the five games since the league dumped its microfiber ball.

"I don't know if it's mental or what," Finley said. "Every shot I took with the (synthetic) ball, even though some of them went in, it didn't feel good.

"With this ball every shot feels good. It's what I'm used to."

Aldridge shows promise: Portland rookie forward LaMarcus Aldridge delivered an inspiring performance in his first game in the state since leaving the University of Texas.

Aldridge had 17 points and six rebounds in 24 minutes. He made six of his eight shots.

Aldridge's minutes had been limited recently while Portland presumably tries to showcase center Jamal Magloire before the trading deadline.

"I really like the fact that he was active tonight and competed against Tim Duncan," Portland coach Nate McMillan said of Aldridge. "I thought about our game tonight and realized this is a glimpse into the future of this team. LaMarcus is a huge key in the future of the Blazers."

Briefly: Brent Barry went down hard under the Spurs' basket in the fourth quarter after Zach Randolph caught him in the nose with an elbow. He stayed in the game and promptly hit a 3-pointer. ... Horry was announced as the starting center during introductions, which created a moment of confusion. Fabricio Oberto got the start for the second consecutive game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I asked Manu (Ginobili), 'Hey, did you watch the game last night?' Bonner said. "He was like, 'What game?' He was dead serious. He had no clue.

"I was like, 'Oh, just forget it.'"

Poor RR.

Finley has gone 14 of 29 in the five games since the league dumped its microfiber ball
    Steve Smith indeed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Smith led the league in 3pt % as a Spur. The comparison holds true because Finley doesn't do but shoot and he hasn't done that all that great all year.

Here's the thing though, all he was brought here to do was shoot and score off the bench. But because Pop uses him as a 4 when they run small ball, we need him to do more which is something he's never had to do before.

Finley will be fine if we count on him for scoring off the bench, but if we need him to do more then we might as well expect Beno to start dunking over people.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Elson plan on taking acting classes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Smith led the league in 3pt % as a Spur. The comparison holds true because Finley doesn't do but shoot and he hasn't done that all that great all year.

Here's the thing though, all he was brought here to do was shoot and score off the bench. But because Pop uses him as a 4 when they run small ball, we need him to do more which is something he's never had to do before.

Finley will be fine if we count on him for scoring off the bench, but if we need him to do more then we might as well expect Beno to start dunking over people.

Steve Smith was never as athletic, nor as good a defender.

Steve Smith also didn't really shoot as well as Finley is. Finley takes more shots than Smith did too.

So the comparison IMO is off base.
    Does Elson plan on taking acting classes

How about we just hope no one else hires him for that, and he focuses on defense and spurs ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one ever said they were clones dude. Its about ineffectiveness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Smith also didn't really shoot as well as Finley is.
    Huh?

In Steve Smith's first year in SA, he shot 45.5% from the floor and 47.2% from three. This year, Finley is shooting 37.7% from the floor and 32.3% from beyond the arc. Last season, Finley shot 41.2% from the floor and 39.4% from three.

Finley takes more shots than Smith did too.
    Nope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as Elson goes, I don't think it's a good sign that he's taking so long to come back. The Spurs said that'd he'd be out 10 to 14 days. Now it's looking like it's going to be three weeks or longer.

Not the best way to show your teammates you are serious about winning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the best way to show your teammates you are serious about winning
    So its his fault the injury is worse than expected?

good god.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This year, Finley is shooting 37.7% from the floor and 32.3% from beyond the arc.
    I think the new ball had more to do with it than we thought.

Lets compare numbers before new ball after new ball, same amount of games.

I gaurantee old ball will result in even better numbers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So its his fault the injury is worse than expected?

good god.
    Link to where it's worse than expected?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link to where hes not coming back because he isn't ready, and it's not just his body?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link to where hes not coming back because he isn't ready, and it's not just his body?
    http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57623

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Francisco Elson did some light shooting Tuesday for the first time since injuring his right shoulder. Team officials said he is progressing well, but don't expect him to play for at least another week. Elson has missed the past seven games since suffering a slight tear to his rotator cuff in the Dec. 26 loss to Milwaukee. He didn't accompany the team on its trip to Denver after Tuesday's game and also won't travel to Chicago this weekend.

Elson will visit the doctor again Monday to see if he can be cleared for more strenuous basketball-related activities.
    I don't see anywhere where it would say Elson is the reason hes not coming back, and not the injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Elson isn't connected to his own shoulder?

Interesting.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did he get a cortisone shot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Elson isn't connected to his own shoulder?

Interesting
    Answer me why, his shoulder not healing as quick as thought, would piss his teammates off?

Best Nuggets Troll Ever NuGGeTs-FaN's Avatar
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    u guys r lucky. It would take a normal human being 24-48 months to recover from this but Frankie should nut it out in a few more days

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Answer me why, his shoulder not healing as quick as thought, would piss his teammates off?
    Same reason why teammates got pissed off at Beno for missing all of training camp. A two week injury shouldn't take a month to come back from, especially when you are on a team that is struggling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A two week injury shouldn't take a month to come back from,
    Wasn't it 2-4 weeks?

If his arm isn't strong enough, and the trainers or doctors say he shouldn't come back yet, then uh, he should just "be a man" and come back anyways?

Intelligent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, people heal at different rates. Same as people get injured at different rates. Some people just knit up faster. And some people are Bobby Jackson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't it 2-4 weeks?

If his arm isn't strong enough, and the trainers or doctors say he shouldn't come back yet, then uh, he should just "be a man" and come back anyways?

Intelligent.
    No, it was 10-14 days I believe.

However, this article doesn't indicate whether he is slow healing or what the problem is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.

If it was Elson "wanting to heal 100%" and he said that, Id be 100% with LJ and lambasting him for being a puss.

But if there is nothing to suggest hes being a wuss about it, then the comments are baseless IMO.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently Barry gets better if he's being hit hard in the middle of the game. Just like the Kings game from December

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the best way to show your teammates you are serious about winning.
    wow.

it's a torn rotator cuff, ie, a serious injury.

Thread Information