Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 7567
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

26 JUN 2020 FRI - Coronavirus
    Source: Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
    USA
    Confirmed Cases: 2,422,312 (+40,943 new cases)
    Total Deaths: 124,415 (+2,436 new deaths) *(See below)

Total Recoveries: 663,562 (+7,401 more recoveries)
    Case Fatality Rate (deaths/cases x 100): 5.1% (no change%)
    Total Tested: 28,567,355 (+640,465 new tests)

The USA is now posting record numbers of new cases per day, surpassing 40,000 new cases for the first time. Since the numbers have been trending towards this progression each day, we know that this is not just an aberrant data point. We are now posting record numbers of new cases as COVID-19 starts spreading in states that have been relatively un-hit by the spread of COVID-19.

*There is one statistic that is particularly worrisome, and that is the increase in the number of deaths. For the first time since May 6, the number of deaths jumped from below 1,000 deaths per day to 2,436. While we are expecting a rise in deaths, this sudden jump suggests that this might be an aberrant data point - and as we investigate what happened in the past day, we find out that it almost certainly is. Yesterday, the state of New Jersey decided to add in "probable fatalities" into their deaths. To make this clear, before yesterday, NJ was only reporting confirmed deaths to COVID-19 - but now they have changed their protocol to add deaths that they think are "likely due to COVID-19, but not confirmed," and as a result they have added 1,850 deaths that were "probably due to COVID-19." When we subtract these 1,850 deaths, there have been 586 confirmed deaths to COVID-19, which is similar to what it has been for the past week.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-jerseys-covid-19-death-toll-rises-14-when-probable-fatalities-added-11593109913

This is further confirmed when we look at the New York Times charts regarding new cases and deaths. I posted the image, and we can see the jump in the last number of deaths, which the New York Times has highlighted in YELLOW, with an explanation "NJ RELEASED PROBABLE DATA." They indicate that this is a "data anomaly," and they have put in the explanation as to why this number exists. These changes in protocols really complicate the use of these charts in predicting what to expect in this disease process. It will be interesting to see how the New York Times decides to handle these anomalies. They may continue to post them in YELLOW to highlight that this is an aberrant data point.

What this means is that we are still keeping the number of deaths down, despite the increase in cases. The problem is that as cases continue to worsen, we are starting to edge towards overwhelming our medical systems - and when that happens, we should expect the death toll to significantly worsen. Texas has been reporting record days, reporting over 4,000 cases in a single day for the first time - and hospitals in Houston are reporting that their ICUs are filled. If the spread of this disease continues to worsen today, it will overwhelm their medical system's ability to care for the severe cases.

To avoid this eventual complication - the increase in deaths that occurs when the medical systems are overwhelmed - states have been implementing various restrictions. Back in April, states were completely shutting down all businesses except those that were considered "essential." However, this action severely damaged the American economy, and the number of unemployed Americans topped 20 million during that time.

We now find ourselves in a situation where we must make some hard decisions if we are going to slow down the spread of COVID-19 in the states that have been hit the worst. If we are trying to avoid damaging our economy further, we need a solution that will curb the spread of the disease without shutting down our businesses - and the solution is simple.

Countries that have ins uted "mandatory mask wearing" have all shown curves where they have kept the spread of COVID-19 down - and there has been no worsening since the policy was ins uted.

50 countries have made mask wearing mandatory, and as we research these countries, we can see that there are varying degrees of success - although all of these countries have done better than nations that did not ins ute mandatory mask wearing.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/countries-wearing-face-masks-compulsory-200423094510867.html

As more nations are figuring out this pattern, more nations are making the wearing of surgical masks mandatory - and now we are seeing more and more regions in the USA ins ute similar policies.

As of THURSDAY, 18 states have made the wearing of masks mandatory in public places, including

CA, CN DE, HI, IL, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, NV, NJ, NM, NY, NC, PA, RI, WA, and Washington, DC.

The bottom line is this: COVID-19 is spreading, and this spread is the worst that it has been up to this point. While the death rate is still low, we can see the signs that we are starting to overwhelm our medical systems in certain communities - and we should expect this to worsen in the next week.

At some point in this next week, we will likely see the number of deaths worsen also. We need to do something to fight this worsening, and our choices are to shut down our government again, or to try a new tactic, like making the wearing of masks mandatory - and this is what we are seeing in several communities.

The choices are to either

start wearing masks,

shut down the economy, or

watch COVID-19 spread throughout our community like a forest fire - which is essentially what we have been doing for the past few weeks -

and to no surprise, it's been working. It turns out when we reopened our businesses and just asked people nicely to practice social distancing, many people didn't participate - and an expected increase in COVID-19 cases followed.

I am not sure why the wearing of masks has become a political issue. If we know that this is something that will help prevent the spread of the disease and save lives, it seems very basic that people would want to do this. However, instead, we have

social media promotions teaching people that "mask wearing actually CAUSES cases of COVID-19."

There are people teaching other people that "mask wearing is killing people," and we have people believing it.

I am seeing more and more posts trying to convince Americans that "this is all a hoax."

Even with an overwhelming amount of scientific data, a significant part of our population is convinced that mask wearing is not a benefit - and they are going to refuse to do it unless it is made mandatory by law (and they may still refuse even if it is made mandatory).

Today is a very difficult day, but it is basically a continuation of what we saw yesterday: we are seeing record increase in new cases, and we will likely continue to set new records for at least another week. The number of deaths is continuing to remain low, although today's data is showing an aberration that was caused by the state of New Jersey starting to report deaths that they think are probably due to COVID-19, but not confirmed.

However, we are starting to see hospitalizations increase and ICUs become overwhelmed, so we should expect the death rate to worsen next week. And as these numbers continue to worsen, we will see another PANIC start to set in. In fact, in AUSTRALIA, they experienced a mild increase, and everyone went out and hoarded all of the toilet paper they could find. Toilet paper is once again in short supply because of the panic - and we should expect this to happen here in the USA.

As Americans start to realize that we are back in the same place we were at back in April,

Americans will start to hoard supplies, just as they are doing in Australia - so be prepared for this.

We all need to do our small part to prevent the disease, so continue to practice social distancing, and encourage everyone to wear a mask in public. If we do nothing, then we will eventually find ourselves shutting down our businesses once again - and this has been devastating, so we should do whatever we can to avoid this. Be safe, and encourage everyone else to be safe as well.

-- Facebook page of Sean Mahan

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even Nytimes is learning
    Even at 0.26 percent, the rate is still significantly higher than influenza most years, more comparable to a bad flu strain like the 1968 Hong Kong flu

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even Nytimes is learning
    Even at 0.26 percent, the rate is still significantly higher than influenza most years, more comparable to a bad flu strain like the 1968 Hong Kong flu
    Still stuck on rates when the overall numbers of people getting infected goes by the wayside.
    You, are an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And now you say its no longer a mild flu.
    Absolute fool.

Dont go changing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still stuck on rates when the overall numbers of people getting infected goes by the wayside.
    You, are an idiot.
    Even Nytimes is learning

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You continue to gossip
    Dr. Marc Boom, of Houston Methodist, said those numbers don’t fully tell the capacity story.

“Just that number is being misinterpreted and, quite frankly, we’re concerned that there is a level of alarm in the community that is unwarranted right now,” Boom said.
    Maybe you can tell me all about how NICU beds, blood donation beds, and psych beds are useful for COVID patients again.

keep gossiping you stupid mother er

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what a ing idiot tbh... ducks found his master.. dear god
    Dude is getting dunked on my hater.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man thinking this thread might really start getting ugly if Houston is going to go full Brazil
    I really wonder how much fatality data Republican governors are hiding. man, we ed about China hiding , now it is our own totalitarian party going full on 1984 doublespeak.

I have already run the calcs. Texas hospitals are on a trajectory to be overwhelmed, and that is unavoidable at this point, barring a complete lockdown, which will not happen because the Trump party will not want to admit it ed up.

Doulbeplusungood.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what a ing idiot tbh... ducks found his master.. dear god
    Dude is getting dunked on my hater.

He said upstairs about a year or two ago that he used to be an athlete and knows more about basketball than anyone, and no NBA player has any sort of skill.

Now he's a medical expert.

He's honestly like the result of an evil splicing experiment combining the worst traits of the forum's worst posters. It's like someone combined the intelligence of ducks, the fake backstory and relentless lying of Avante, and the unrelenting angry ankle biting of Derp into one ultimate ty poster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said upstairs about a year or two ago that he used to be an athlete and knows more about basketball than anyone, and no NBA player has any sort of skill.

Now he's a medical expert.

He's honestly like the result of an evil splicing experiment combining the worst traits of the forum's worst posters. It's like someone combined the intelligence of ducks, the fake backstory and relentless lying of Avante, and the unrelenting angry ankle biting of Derp into one ultimate ty poster.
    ING NAILED IT.

This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thldren worst poster confirmed.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thldren worst poster confirmed.
    That's why god made ignore lists

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man thinking this thread might really start getting ugly if Houston is going to go full Brazil
    You continue to gossip
    Dr. Marc Boom, of Houston Methodist, said those numbers don’t fully tell the capacity story.

“Just that number is being misinterpreted and, quite frankly, we’re concerned that there is a level of alarm in the community that is unwarranted right now,” Boom said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This message is hidden because tholdren is on your ignore list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You continue to gossip

Gossip.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You continue to gossip

Pgardn says he knows more about the houston hospitals than doctors in Houston hospitals.

I'll call Marc and let him know 2 more weeks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Update (26 June 2020):::

Trump's Corona Plague dead: 127,619
    El Nono post count: 130,228
    Regular Flu dead: 23+k
    Spanish Flu dead: 275k
    Obama's H1N1 Flu dead: 12.5k

Let us proceed...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let us proceed...
    Damn, gotta post more...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let us proceed...

The dude you're trying to dunk on -- think he's still with us?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's active all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, gotta post more...
    give chump your password tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really wonder how much fatality data Republican governors are hiding. man, we ed about China hiding , now it is our own totalitarian party going full on 1984 doublespeak.

I have already run the calcs. Texas hospitals are on a trajectory to be overwhelmed, and that is unavoidable at this point, barring a complete lockdown, which will not happen because the Trump party will not want to admit it ed up.

Doulbeplusungood.

Uh, ok.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19320

Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago

He can dish it but he can't take it. Right Thread?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Swedish state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell says the World Health Organization made "a total mistake" when it included Sweden in a list of countries seeing a resurgence of the coronavirus. The WHO misinterpreted the Swedish data, Tegnell said.

"It is a total mistake," Tegnell said, according to Swedish public broadcaster Sveriges Radio.

Sweden has been closely watched because of its controversial approach to the COVID-19 pandemic. While the country has urged people to practice physical distancing and follow other safety precautions, it has not ordered a strict shutdown. While many of its European neighbors endured three months of austere conditions, Sweden allowed most of its bars, restaurants, schools and retail stores to remain open.

Tegnell's remarks were a retort to a warning from Dr. Hans Henri P. Kluge, the WHO's regional director for Europe, who said on Thursday that in Sweden and 10 other countries, "accelerated transmission has led to very significant resurgence that if left unchecked will push health systems to the brink once again in Europe."

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True enough. Sweden never went down enough to have a resurgence.

Thread Information