Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the people counting on $50 million in capspace ignoring the huge risk of a Patty Mills charity deal for big money? Like a 3/30 to 'show the young ones how it's done' while he's overplayed and ineffective?
    The way Pop has given a green light to his vets this year, stacking the roster with guards, our same seeding as last year, we are moving on from at the very least Patty and Demar. I can see Rudy staying if we can’t find a better 4 in the offseason though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, a lot of folks salivate over what Memphis did, and they only fully tanked one year. They've basically been a win-now club for a decade and seem not to be too hurt by them waiting or sitting on the treadmill. Would I trade three years of competing for the playoffs for tanking years on the hope they draft stars? No. Obviously no. Not a single poster has really shown that tanking is a reliable way to build a contender anyway, let alone the most reliable way.
    Tanking is no guarantee, for sure. But neither is barely making the playoffs, like Memphis. Point is, in a year with strong talent, it's worth it to take a chance on it when your roster is otherwise just not good enough. That said, I actually think if the Spurs did not have the COVID make up schedule, they would have made the playoffs as a seeded team, or at least they would be competing in the playoffs as a seeded team. How many losses in the 2nd half of the season were schedule losses? Enough to improve them several games. But given how ridiculously hard the schedule was, all the more reason to tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s meh on offense, and ing terrible on defense. I’d rather trade for Al Horford. At least he’s a + on both O and D, and he shoots avout the same from beyond the arc.
    I prefer Al Horford as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the people counting on $50 million in capspace ignoring the huge risk of a Patty Mills charity deal for big money? Like a 3/30 to 'show the young ones how it's done' while he's overplayed and ineffective?
    I don't agree with all the moves the Spurs make, and Patty was overpaid, but it made sense to bring him back when he signed a contract. He is a glue guy. The team likes his leadership and 3 point shooting. They had a veteran team back then and they thought they could still compete. Fast forward to now and there is no way they pay him $50 million. The Spurs have made some small mistakes as every team does, but they aren't the Kings or the Nets (pre-Sean Marks).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Detroit, orlando, Cleveland, and Chicago will suck for the foreseeable future. So will the T-wolves, Rockets, Thunder, and Kings. Next year we will be right here again battling for that 10th seed. I think this play-in stuff is here to stay. So we should be getting that 8th pick and just kinda hope goes our way into getting 1-4.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2) People would prefer to stay in an unhappy situation than do something about it. Here's an analogy: How many people here have a spouse? Do they hurt you? Do you communicate that to them? Should you maybe consider counseling? It's obvious your marriage is on the rocks, maybe do something about it...
    In general sports fandom doesn't work like that at all. An individual fan has basically no control over the situation, the only things they can do are stop being a fan or and moan. The ones who stop caring don't post less often (if at all), so ing and moaning makes up a large percentage of what's left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In general sports fandom doesn't work like that at all. An individual fan has basically no control over the situation, the only things they can do are stop being a fan or and moan. The ones who stop caring don't post less often (if at all), so ing and moaning makes up a large percentage of what's left.
    Hmm, so do the ers and moaners want other people to and moan with them? And then what? Just trying to figure out a logical explanation why people are so invested in calling out other fans and their choice to support the team. It's a life mission for some, apparently.

Let's all and moan and everyone will be happy? I don't get it. Being 100% serious here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey its like ing about Destiny 2 chaning this or that... I became more and more apathetic and just play casual atm, sometimes not at all... sometimes to check what's up and see if I like it. Mostly it's repe ive and the same things I didn't like about it are in place or made worse or balanced one thing to unbalance another. I just stop playing.

though the Destiny hard core fans seem to want to play no matter what but then endlessly about it. I don't get it. If you hate the game so much, stop playing like I did ja ja. I do think some fans watch less and less. Maybe every so often check a game or two to see if the same things they found annoying are happening, but they'll be back if the Spurs draft a steal I guarantee it.

Also, I am not criticizing any fan. Life is short and you got to enjoy it however you want, haters be damned tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have $50 million in cap room, all their first round picks, multiple up-and-coming players and no bad contracts. Break out the shower rods, this is unbearable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, a lot of folks salivate over what Memphis did, and they only fully tanked one year. They've basically been a win-now club for a decade and seem not to be too hurt by them waiting or sitting on the treadmill. Would I trade three years of competing for the playoffs for tanking years on the hope they draft stars? No. Obviously no. Not a single poster has really shown that tanking is a reliable way to build a contender anyway, let alone the most reliable way.
    the other aspect of tanking the the usual tank brigade ignores is that of financial sustainability-this franchise fares much better when it wins games and doesn't come off as a bottom feeder. that's just one component. there are so many negative aspects to tanking that one can't sustain a pro argument for it, especially when, from an actuarial standpoint, the risk analysis is not a favorable one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the other aspect of tanking the the usual tank brigade ignores is that of financial sustainability-this franchise fares much better when it wins games and doesn't come off as a bottom feeder. that's just one component. there are so many negative aspects to tanking that one can't sustain a pro argument for it, especially when, from an actuarial standpoint, the risk analysis is not a favorable one.
    Imagine ticket sales if the Spurs won a top 3 pick in this draft.For sustainable success they need a young star that is a name.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing Derozan isn’t tanking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean... the Chicago bulls bought at the deadline, a player that many here on this board said was desperately needed, and finished the season with a worse record in a weaker conference.

Y’all spend so much time in your little cynical bubble you don’t even realize how melodramatic and ridiculous these routine woe is me takes are.

you can throw out in the abstract “the bulls have a higher ceiling” yet there’s a 70 game sample that shows they are basement dweller. It’s a take that has nothing to back it up and can’t be argued. It’s entirely hypothetical and without substance.

Go outside. Take a walk. Rewatch an old game. Are you this out of things to talk about or do you think it’s your obligation to fill the air with whatever fleeting thoughts enter your head?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine ticket sales if the Spurs won a top 3 pick in this draft.For sustainable success they need a young star that is a name.
    would someone like sean elliot sustain a franchise? he was a 3rd round pick. solid player. great guy. but a player like manu would have a had a better shot at sustaining a franchise and he was almost the last player selected in the draft. last year's top three were wiseman, edwards and ball and while i think edwards will be pretty decent, only ball would have really moved the needle. zion and ja can sell seats for now. doncic is the only top three from 2018 that could fill seats. maybe tatum from 2017. and i'll say simmons from 2016 although his game is not the most exciting. so that's not a sure thing and it's not a sure thing that a bottom three record even gets you a top three pick. again, there's a lot of risk involved in tanking because there is no guaranteed payoff.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s meh on offense, and ing terrible on defense. I’d rather trade for Al Horford. At least he’s a + on both O and D, and he shoots avout the same from beyond the arc.
    I like Markannen , 60% eFG is pretty good for a non center. 65% eFG and 45% from 3 on his last 15 games on a mostly off ball role is Joe Harris , Joe Ingles type efficiency. He is not clueless defensively like Demar or Lonnie not even as bad as Keldon. If he stops trying to be a star and focus on being a good role player there is Joe Harris upside there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Markannen , 60% eFG is pretty good for a non center. 65% eFG and 45% from 3 on his last 15 games on a mostly off ball role is Joe Harris , Joe Ingles type efficiency. He is not clueless defensively like Demar or Lonnie not even as bad as Keldon. If he stops trying to be a star and focus on being a good role player there is Joe Harris upside there.
    I am hoping that if the Spurs go for him is because they see potential that can improve with coaching. I don't think Chicago has excellent coaching or player development and maybe they think there's untapped potential. He's also young and in their window with the Spurs next gen, that is why I am not as opposed to him as I would be other veterans. Al Horford is a win now player that OKC couldn't flip for a pick or prospect and had he played he would have won them more games than they wanted to win this year... He's a better player but with a likely short shelf life. I like him better to fill a hole now, specially because he's also a good passer, but the wheels may come off at any time. I do understand the move for Markkanen if they make it.

---------------------------------

Unrelated comment = Some people are raging against a tank but it may be upon them anyways. Can't be helped some times tbh. It's just so painful to do it the way where you are pretending to try to compete but still suck (and it takes longer presumably -- though hopefully it doesn't. I have my reasons to hope).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think all the tank brigade ignore it, I think they recognize why this year was the year to do it.

A season largely without fans in seats is the best year to tank because it wouldn't affect the gate near as much as a normal year.

Instead they stayed supposedly compe ive and still couldn't sell out the fraction of seats they did open up

They aren't selling out anymore, it's been getting bad for years now. But if tanking had resulted in a top pick, maybe they'd be better sooner and be better off financially.

Of course, if they win the lottery anyway this year they it worked out. If that pick 12, maybe not.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, so do the ers and moaners want other people to and moan with them? And then what? Just trying to figure out a logical explanation why people are so invested in calling out other fans and their choice to support the team. It's a life mission for some, apparently.
    Misery loves company. This is what many message boards devolve into. The franchise wasn't the only thing Duncan kept afloat for so long!

I do like the ignore list, though I would also prefer that quotes from ignored posters be hidden also. Even better would be if the board didn't even show that a post was made by someone on your ignore list. Then you could just make the idiots completely disappear and not even realize they are there for the most part.

Let's all and moan and everyone will be happy? I don't get it. Being 100% serious here.
    They don't want to be happy. They want to not be alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is, you’re not going to get him for role player money. He’s restricted. The only offer Chicago won’t match would be a stupid overpay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think all the tank brigade ignore it, I think they recognize why this year was the year to do it.

A season largely without fans in seats is the best year to tank because it wouldn't affect the gate near as much as a normal year.

Instead they stayed supposedly compe ive and still couldn't sell out the fraction of seats they did open up

They aren't selling out anymore, it's been getting bad for years now. But if tanking had resulted in a top pick, maybe they'd be better sooner and be better off financially.

Of course, if they win the lottery anyway this year they it worked out. If that pick 12, maybe not.
    if there had been any year where the reward for the tank (and by that i mean getting a franchise player by virtue of having a top three pick) is as much of an unsure thing as possible, this is it.
    Last edited by rjv; 05-17-2021 at 04:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As bad as ST tells me this team is, they still managed to qualify for the play in....wow. Pop really is the GOAT of this .

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best way for the Spurs to get top talent is through the draft. They built their championship teams through the draft. This front office has not had success overall in trades or free agency through the years. So tanking makes sense to get top talent back on the roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    would someone like sean elliot sustain a franchise? he was a 3rd round pick. solid player. great guy. but a player like manu would have a had a better shot at sustaining a franchise and he was almost the last player selected in the draft. last year's top three were wiseman, edwards and ball and while i think edwards will be pretty decent, only ball would have really moved the needle. zion and ja can sell seats for now. doncic is the only top three from 2018 that could fill seats. maybe tatum from 2017. and i'll say simmons from 2016 although his game is not the most exciting. so that's not a sure thing and it's not a sure thing that a bottom three record even gets you a top three pick. again, there's a lot of risk involved in tanking because there is no guaranteed payoff.
    Well don't forget that Tim Duncan and David Robinson were also top 3 picks. Sean Elliott was the 3rd pick in a weak draft. This is projected to be a strong draft. And yes, I would love to have Edwards on my team. I'd also take Simmons too. I'd love Zion and Doncic. And I trust the Spurs to develop players better than anyone in the league. I also believe that a guy like Wiseman should be allowed more than half a season and playing without a true offseason or summer league before I judge on what type of NBA player he will be. And that said, last year's draft was supposed to be a weak draft. This year's draft is projected to be deeper and more talented with guys that have star potential. No one is ever a guarantee. It's not normal to draft Tim Duncan and have him come in the league and be a top 10 player from day one. But the early the draft pick the better the prospect. And when you have a top notch development team, imagine what you can do with a player that has top 3 talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Front office F -
    Head Coach D -
    Talent Level C -
    Talent distribution D -
    Shooting F - and getting worse
    Team seems to have a plan F -

BLUF this is one screwed up situation that may only get worse depsite millions in cap room. Who would want to come to a team playings 2000s ball in the 2020s?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's a realistic offseason for the Spurs?

Here's one, and I wonder how people would rank that team in the west.

Lose DeRozan, Gay and Lyles.

Sign Markkanen, re-sign Mills and Dieng for a total of $40 million. Maybe Bates-Diop fits in that number. Keep $10 million free to poke around the edges.

Draft a guy who won't play the first year.

Is that team that compe ive in the West?

Poeltl-Markannen-Johnson-White-Murray
    with
    Dieng, Samanic, Vassell, Walker, Mills

and Eubanks, Draft pick, and Tre Jones rounding out the active roster

I don't know if that team is much better at all really

Then there won't be much more caproom to be had in the years after.

Just one scenario, but things can go awry. This front office will still be paying DeMarre Carroll 1.2 million next season.
    I'd rather surround out young guys with OPJ, McDermott, Fournier types on 2 year deals...(maybe Frank Ntilikina if we move White or Murray)...and look for an advantageous trade...

Thread Information