Page 106 of 110 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110 LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2730
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The worst season of Gobert’s defensive career >>>>> the best season of LMAs. Gobert may only be a rim runner on offense, but he’s light years better on defense than LMA has ever been. Mitc is also not like DD. He’s so much better as a scorer, much more efficient. He gets to the line as much, AND shoots the 3 ball far better, 37% on 7 attempts per game.
    Donovan Mitc is a lot of things but efficient isn't one of them. Spurs DDR has better FG%, eFG% and TS%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And people were complaining about giving Jak $9M per year to basically not do what Gobert does.
    fixed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bingo.

We've seen what Mitc and Gobert does for the Jazz over the last three years. They are good, but not great. And now they are pretty much locked into that for the foreseeable future.

Unless Mitc suddenly transforms into Steph and Ingles turns into Klay...the Jazz will be stuck exactly where they are for the next 4-5 years.
    True, but what was the alternative? Small market teams can't afford to lose top 15 regular season impact players, who want to play for them, for nothing.

The Spurs will be lucky to get Gobert/Mitc level players again and when they do, they too will offer top dollar to retain them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was on board with Gobert. He was the best remaining FA.
    Same

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The worst season of Gobert’s defensive career >>>>> the best season of LMAs. Gobert may only be a rim runner on offense, but he’s light years better on defense than LMA has ever been. Mitc is also not like DD. He’s so much better as a scorer, much more efficient. He gets to the line as much, AND shoots the 3 ball far better, 37% on 7 attempts per game.
    Yup. Mitc >DDR easily and Gobert>LMA

I wouldn’t pay him $42/yr but anyone acting like he’s Poetl is way off base

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So "our summer" is pushed back for the 5th consecutive year, right? There's no one left for next summer.
    Yup. The only way to improve now is by a trade. Hardly any FA to spend all of this awesome got to have cap space on. Tons of cap space is a joke

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. The only way to improve now is by a trade. Hardly any FA to spend all of this awesome got to have cap space on. Tons of cap space is a joke
    Spurs don't make trades.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, even though it gets rehashed a lot, I think there's a good reason for it. We should take a shot at OPJ.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This pretty much

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Los Angeles Lakers forward Kyle Kuzma has agreed to a three-year, $40M contract extension, including a player option on 2023-2024 season, sources tell ESPN.
    3:51pm · 20 Dec 2020 · Twitter Web App

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Los Angeles Lakers forward Kyle Kuzma has agreed to a three-year, $40M contract extension, including a player option on 2023-2024 season, sources tell ESPN.
    3:51pm · 20 Dec 2020 · Twitter Web App
    An end to Kuzma to Spurs rumors.

Have a feeling we will hear about Derrick really soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don't make trades.
    Unfortunately true. And if they are forced to then they screw it up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That seems a good deal for the Lakers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That seems a good deal for the Lakers
    I think so too. They did good with that signing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a quick reminder that LA scored 45 on supermax defender Gobert. He ain't worth 40 million

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gobert contract is what it is it is a win for Utah considering he is super max eligible. Plenty of cap space teams next year and a max contract coming to him is a given. Shame we could not make a run on him, he would be the perfect big for the dribble drive motion offense. Max is what it would take to retain him and Utah is a small market who doesn't bottom out. All modern big man arguments are valid but Gobert really is worth the max based on how he impacts the game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're saying don't ignore the context and large sample size of catch all metrics which indicate he's a top 15 regular season impact player and instead determine his value based off of one random regular season game where a high end scorer hit a high percentage of low value shots? Interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Offseason moves for the San Antonio Spurs: How to handle DeMar DeRozan's free agency

9:11 PM CT
    • Bobby Marks

How do we evaluate the 2020-21 version of the San Antonio Spurs?

Is it by the 8-22 record in games decided by five points in the last five minutes? Or the 2-5 record in overtime games?

Do we look at the stretch of the season when this team was decimated by COVID-19, resulting in having to play 40 games after the All-Star break? That brutal stretch saw San Antonio go from four games over .500 to six games below, finishing the season 33-39, including 15-25 since the All-Star break.

In total, the Spurs played 63 of their 72 games either on a back-to-back or with one day of rest.

Despite missing the playoffs for the second consecutive season, the Spurs have a solid foundation in place and have the flexibility to retain their own free agents or bring in other free agents to replace them.

The state of the roster

The Spurs are comparable to the Memphis Grizzlies -- the team that defeated them in the play-in round -- in that they have built their roster the right way.

The post-Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili era could have left this team stuck in the bottom of the Western Conference for the foreseeable future. The Spurs could have hit the button on a full-scale rebuild and relied on selecting in the top half of the lottery, looking for their next Duncan.

Instead, San Antonio has laid down a strong foundation as a result of identifying talent outside of the lottery. Starters Dejounte Murray, Derrick White and Keldon Johnson were selected with the second-to-last pick in the first round, while key reserves Lonnie Walker IV and Luka Samanic were picked in the teens.

Devin Vassell
    was the only player on this year's roster who the Spurs drafted in the lottery. Building a roster organically through the draft should be commended. And while the Spurs did not take any shortcuts in remaining compe ive, the franchise is at a crossroads this offseason.

The DeMar DeRozan trade brought stability to a franchise in the aftermath of losing Kawhi Leonard, but now the forward is an unrestricted free agent. Do they look to bring him back or do they continue the youth movement without one of their veterans?

Cap space or own free agents?

The trend in San Antonio has been to draft, develop and eventually re-sign that player when his rookie contract expires or the year before in an extension. Will that change this offseason when the Spurs could have more than $50 million in cap space?

The Spurs could jump into the deep end in free agency, but it would come at the cost of their own free agents: DeRozan, Patty Mills or perhaps Rudy Gay. The three players combined to average 43.8 points this season, 39% of the Spurs' total production.

Although the Spurs have $58 million in contracts, well below the projected $112.1 million salary cap, their individual cap holds have San Antonio over the cap right now.

The Spurs will have a big decision to make, and it starts with DeRozan.

There are three big questions the Spurs will need to ask internally with regards to DeRozan:

1. Does paying a 32-year-old player more than $30 million fit the timeline of the current roster?
    2. Where would DeRozan rank on our free-agent board if he were not on our roster, and would he be a player that we would target with cap space?
    3. Do we sign DeRozan and utilize him as a trade asset down the road and if so, where would his value be in the second year of the contract?

Team needs

· Starting small forward
    · Bench depth at all positions
    · Healthy Derrick White

Resources to build the roster

• The draft: First and second round
    • Projected $50M+ in cap space
    • Own free agents (if cap space is not used)
    • Exceptions: $9.5M midlevel and $3.7M biannual or $4.9M room midlevel
    • Cash: $5.8 million to send or receive in a trade

Extension candidates

• There has been a pattern the past two offseasons of former draft picks getting extended. Murray signed a four-year, $64 million extension in 2019 and White agreed to a four-year, $70 million extension in December. Both extensions occurred on the last day of the offseason and the deadline for rookie extensions. We will now see if the Spurs go 3-for-3 with Lonnie Walker IV. The former first-round pick is yet another example of the Spurs' strong player development program. Walker went from playing 29 games in the G League his rookie season to averaging a career high in minutes (25.2) and points (11.3) this past season. Walker is far from a finished product -- he followed up a 23-point game against Philadelphia by scoring just 2 points against Utah the next night. But he has only scratched the surface with regards to his development. There are two schools of thought about an extension: Walker can bet on himself and play out the season, entering the 2022 offseason as one of top shooting guards on the market, or he can go the guaranteed route and take an extension that starts in the $10 million-$12 million range.

• The Spurs claimed DaQuan Jeffries right before the end of the regular season. Jeffries appeared in 31 games this year with Sacramento and Houston. The 24-year-old scored in double figures, four times this season, including a season-high 18 points in a loss to Milwaukee. The Spurs have until Aug. 1 to exercise his $1.7 million contract for next year.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...an-free-agency

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, the Spurs need a starting 4 above all. Now whether Luka gets a shot at the job or it's a FA, combination of both; shooting and rebounding are the two main concerns heading into the Off-season.

If we are sticking internally with growth of the young players - PG: DJ, SG: Lonnie or Vassell, SF: KJ, PF: Luka or FA, C: Poeltl.
    6th D White, 7th Vassell or Lonnie, 8th: Dieng or Eubanks.

That's not an unreasonable start.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am with Bobby Marks, Keldon is our Power Forward.
    Just the lack of footspeed to defend wings and lack of perimeter skills is very evident. Wings just blow by him pretty easily.

Lonnie basically has no role , not a 3 and D wing , not a movement shooter and not a PNR ballhandler. I don't know what player I am investing in with 11-12 million.

Let DDR walk and get a modern starting wing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon isn't a PF, not even sure he's an SF. He's just another SG on a team full of them. He needs to seriously work on his shot this Summer. He also needs some in-between moves when he drives but luckily he started to develop his mid-range pull-up as the season wore on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am with Bobby Marks, Keldon is our Power Forward.
    Just the lack of footspeed to defend wings and lack of perimeter skills is very evident. Wings just blow by him pretty easily.

Lonnie basically has no role , not a 3 and D wing , not a movement shooter and not a PNR ballhandler. I don't know what player I am investing in with 11-12 million.

Let DDR walk and get a modern starting wing.
    I agree that KJ has trouble guarding wings atm but not buying this PF thing long term.

It will be interesting to see if they extend Lonnie, I would say Spurs should wait and see. If you have to overpay because he outperforms expectations this year, I think you have to live with that.

DDR has to go though, if just that the players can experience a different style of play, enhanced responsibility.
    Last edited by PhantomDashCam; 05-20-2021 at 05:06 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might have the resources to build something but the decisions that need to be made are very difficult and could potentially hurt us for years to come. When you don't have future star to build around the decisions are even harder.
    I really hope we don't make moves with the 8th seed in mind, don't this up pls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They shouldn’t resign Derozan, not even thinking they could trade him later. They are very trade averse as a franchise to begin with and they couldn’t find a trade for him that they liked two seasons in a row.

Whatever may happen without him in terms of the regular season record happens. I am in favor of them investing in a FA who can start for them and is a shooter.

I think Gay acquitted himself well in the end and the Spurs don’t have anyone waiting who can play his role. People talk about Samanic like he’s ready to slip in and I don’t think that he is. I really want to see him succeed but he hasn’t shown at any point that he can shoot.

Bottom line, prioritize shooting and rebounding as someone above me said.

I liked Diemg a lot and in retrospect he should have played more, at the expense of Eubanks because he’s better and his skill set is so relevant in this league. I am sure he will have interest from other teams, he was fantastic in his minutes regardless of whether they came on the Grizzlies or Spurs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KJ is barely 6-5 in shoes. Dude ain't a powerforward.

inng re s.
    You think he got the footspeed to guard wings or develop it? He got blown by 3 straight times last game. He got no problem with strength when he guarded Zion, Giannis and Randle.

Thread Information