Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it was definitely his fault.
    victim was probably dead by the time the firemen got there. one does not last long breathing fire. She died horribly, but quickly, and it is probably better that she did rather than live with the burns, IMO.

The death was absolutely Ruggs fault.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would I need to "realize what you were getting at"?

Getting at?

Your poor choice of wording was likely intentional because you were trying to prove something that was flawed from the start. You got emotionally invested in your take. That's always a bad thing, you of all people should have learned that by now.
    You are boring me to death. ing get over getting your pee pee spanked. again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like the death wasn't Rugg's fault...

"Firemen did not attempt to extinguish the fire at Ms. Tintor's vehicle for approximately 20 minutes at which time the entire vehicle was engulfed in flames," defense attorneys David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfeld said in a Wednesday court filing that does not identify their witness.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...le-fatal-crash
    This doesn't jive. The civilian who tried to help was overcome with smoke and flames prior to the arrival of the FD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are boring me to death. ing get over getting your pee pee spanked. again.
    Whatever delusional narrative makes you sleep better I suppose

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever delusional narrative makes you sleep better I suppose
    Seriously, this was the dumbest argument I have ever had to be involved in, and that includes arguing with cosmoron for years about the moon landing.

This was worse than that. Your autistic screeching here will go down in legend.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The theoretical aspect isn't nearly as interesting to me as the application. For that reason I won't get into theory. Even over a beer I will usually only discuss methods and ideas but that's not to say theory isn't important. I just feel that everything can be stratified into theory and at some level that eventually seems to nullify the coolness factor of the application. Charge is charge, dielectric acts like dielectric whether or not it's in a component or the vacuum between two metal plates. Capacitor charge and discharge curves all look about the same. Paschen events can be graphed out but seeing it happen IRL is way cooler. It's the application that's different. You take a ton of metal and controllers and you make a particle fragment. That's pretty cool.

The problem with discussing anything online like that is some Googler wants to sling equations at you and challenge everything you say when they've never laid eyes on the actual device. I don't care for that. Not without the mutually agreed upon troll caveat.
    The theory and application are intertwined and it should be obvious by now I like both.
    Making a capacitor out of foil with the dialectric some thin plastic. Knowing the plastic must be larger than the two pieces of foil taped to either side. Hook up one side of foil to a hand cranked Van de Graff the other side to an outlet ground. You have no idea how much charge either side will hold but you discharge in very slowly after a few cranks. Use the finger test across the foil to get some idea of how much you are charging the capacitor. All home made crap and fun. I am totally into fooling around with stuff. This is basement level stuff. Turn off the lights and discharge it after a lot of cranking and see that big blue discharge. Why is it blue or white, why did it discharge at the same spot across the capacitor and now a different one. " it discharged right through the diaelectric.." on and on...

You have to know the theory to even put the whole thing together in the first place. Making them into rings and asking your wife or friend to grab either side... Theory again dictates you know you might really need to be careful on a dry cold day with the charging. Seeing how long it takes for the charge difference to dissipate... The fun is talking about both. If you just know that it works you want to know what the model is (and yes sometimes the math) so you can do it again and in a different way. If you just know the theory you want to see someone or try to put something together yourself. The practical and theory go together which is why I dont make fun of others jobs because there very often is something interesting about the way they go about it that I dont know because I dont do it everyday. I dont live it, so I ask about it.

There are so many examples. Looking at all the different types of coil setups that farmers used to construct to try and "steal" power from the transmission lines. These were extraordinarily creative. If you know the theory and see someone build something you can take a look at it and see and or ask, why did you do it this way, what does that affect? This is my attraction to physics sometimes over what I actually do which is tedious, high variable. And there are really no great fundamental equations with biology because there are way too many variables to be able to describe it with math.

Your gun stuff and snipers hitting things at long range. Seems incredibly lucky with all the things that could change with one shot missed and you get another try. If you talk to someone who actually does this versus googling , you know. You can just tell by how they write it or talk about it to you. I do this quite a bit everyday so its fairly easy to tell when people are inflating things just to look good in front of people they dont even know. If you get tested everyday with real people working together you gather strengths and weaknesses and know how to put a working group together so this online bravado... strange. Google cant touch what comes easily out of a persons mouth right in front of you. Or if you dig a little deeper because you are bored online.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The theory and application are intertwined and it should be obvious by now I like both.
    Making a capacitor out of foil with the dialectric some thin plastic. Knowing the plastic must be larger than the two pieces of foil taped to either side. Hook up one side of foil to a hand cranked Van de Graff the other side to an outlet ground. You have no idea how much charge either side will hold but you discharge in very slowly after a few cranks. Use the finger test across the foil to get some idea of how much you are charging the capacitor. All home made crap and fun. I am totally into fooling around with stuff. This is basement level stuff. Turn off the lights and discharge it after a lot of cranking and see that big blue discharge. Why is it blue or white, why did it discharge at the same spot across the capacitor and now a different one. " it discharged right through the diaelectric.." on and on...

You have to know the theory to even put the whole thing together in the first place. Making them into rings and asking your wife or friend to grab either side... Theory again dictates you know you might really need to be careful on a dry cold day with the charging. Seeing how long it takes for the charge difference to dissipate... The fun is talking about both. If you just know that it works you want to know what the model is (and yes sometimes the math) so you can do it again and in a different way. If you just know the theory you want to see someone or try to put something together yourself. The practical and theory go together which is why I dont make fun of others jobs because there very often is something interesting about the way they go about it that I dont know because I dont do it everyday. I dont live it, so I ask about it.

There are so many examples. Looking at all the different types of coil setups that farmers used to construct to try and "steal" power from the transmission lines. These were extraordinarily creative. If you know the theory and see someone build something you can take a look at it and see and or ask, why did you do it this way, what does that affect? This is my attraction to physics sometimes over what I actually do which is tedious, high variable. And there are really no great fundamental equations with biology because there are way too many variables to be able to describe it with math.

Your gun stuff and snipers hitting things at long range. Seems incredibly lucky with all the things that could change with one shot missed and you get another try. If you talk to someone who actually does this versus googling , you know. You can just tell by how they write it or talk about it to you. I do this quite a bit everyday so its fairly easy to tell when people are inflating things just to look good in front of people they dont even know. If you get tested everyday with real people working together you gather strengths and weaknesses and know how to put a working group together so this online bravado... strange. Google cant touch what comes easily out of a persons mouth right in front of you. Or if you dig a little deeper because you are bored online.
    Case in point, I mention the capacitive effect and you talk about building a capacitor out of pie plates. If I mention space charge someone talks about outer space. I mention high vacuum and someone talks about suction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, this was the dumbest argument I have ever had to be involved in, and that includes arguing with cosmoron for years about the moon landing.

This was worse than that. Your autistic screeching here will go down in legend.
    But you didn't have to be involved in it. You chose to be involved to try to recover what you thought you'd lost to DarrinS. I saw your response and realized you were embarrassed and decided to have a little fun with you. Your ego makes you always easy prey and good for a laugh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you cannot answer the question I asked, you're using bad faith. Anyone else would know that I am simply asking you for your legal opinion.
    Because you're the honest broker here!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because you're the honest broker here!
    I am being honest. Not as forthcoming as you were, but still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But you didn't have to be involved in it. You chose to be involved to try to recover what you thought you'd lost to DarrinS. I saw your response and realized you were embarrassed and decided to have a little fun with you. Your ego makes you always easy prey and good for a laugh.
    A small-minded personal attack that reeks of projection. Have your delusions, boy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Case in point, I mention the capacitive effect and you talk about building a capacitor out of pie plates. If I mention space charge someone talks about outer space. I mention high vacuum and someone talks about suction.
    Case in point it shows interest in the broad aspects of a subject. Not the nitty gritty of a very specific case.
    YOUR SUPPOSED WORK CAN LEAD TO GENERAL DISCUSSION.
    You have a problem with this. This is exactly what happened with the car crash.

Pie plates... gtfoh wtf....? Unwrinkled sheets of foil. Just make up why dont you. Pie plates... what have you been watching?
    Did I get into the specifics of protein folding? Ever? No. Because it would bore the out of most as they would have no idea what I was saying.
    But I could clearly get into why it has importance in for example, the Covid virus binding to certain human cells. Why one of Darrin's videos said the opposite of the point it was trying to make.
    See again you have no idea what you are talking about. You just need to feel all of this is BENEATH YOUR STANDARDS.
    I interject broader physics into a specific case of car crashes and learn something. You come in, dont even read whats going on, and get upset when you get shown the door. I interject broader concepts into capacitors, you pftttt... it and say this is why I dont talk shop? YOUR SHOP leads to other interesting things as does my protein .

You are clearly intimidated. I spell it out for you and then you cant even see it.
    It fairly well known that older people have a hard time branching out and learning new things. The brain becomes sort of hardwired.
    You are a case study.

And the bolded is complete bull .
    Last edited by pgardn; 11-15-2021 at 12:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am being honest. Not as forthcoming as you were, but still.
    The above it total BS.

You stepped in it.
    You did even know the corvette speed was already taken. And... you thought the speed limit sign was useless and that RG had made a random guess when it was perfectly reasonable ball park figure which was what was being discussed as there are many variables in this case. Dont try to generate a new characterization of your role in this thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The above it total BS.

You stepped in it.
    You did even know the corvette speed was already taken. And... you thought the speed limit sign was useless and that RG had made a random guess when it was perfectly reasonable ball park figure which was what was being discussed as there are many variables in this case. Dont try to generate a new characterization of your role in this thread.
    What part of it is BS?

Did you even read what I was responding to? Of course not.

The SL was useless. It doesn't control the speed of the vehicle. Could you look at a 30.06 sign as an entry team to know anyone in the building is armed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Case in point it shows interest in the broad aspects of a subject. Not the nitty gritty of a very specific case.
    YOUR SUPPOSED WORK CAN LEAD TO GENERAL DISCUSSION.
    You have a problem with this. This is exactly what happened with the car crash.

Pie plates... gtfoh wtf....? Unwrinkled sheets of foil. Just make up why dont you. Pie plates... what have you been watching?
    Did I get into the specifics of protein folding? Ever? No. Because it would bore the out of most as they would have no idea what I was saying.
    But I could clearly get into why it has importance in for example, the Covid virus binding to certain human cells. Why one of Darrin's videos said the opposite of the point it was trying to make.
    See again you have no idea what you are talking about. You just need to feel all of this is BENEATH YOUR STANDARDS.
    I interject broader physics into a specific case of car crashes and learn something. You come in, dont even read whats going on, and get upset when you get shown the door. I interject broader concepts into capacitors, you pftttt... it and say this is why I dont talk shop? YOUR SHOP leads to other interesting things as does my protein .

You are clearly intimidated. I spell it out for you and then you cant even see it.
    It fairly well known that older people have a hard time branching out and learning new things. The brain becomes sort of hardwired.
    You are a case study.

And the bolded is complete bull .
    It's a common experiment to take pie tins and make a homemade capacitor using a 9V battery. The principles of electricity are interesting, but the capacitance in UHV is a side effect, something unwanted that develops and isn't obvious. Capacitance in a lot of things isn't obvious, an the number of things you can find that are in reality capacitors is almost unlimited. So if you want to discuss reactive components, that's fine, but I believe with you it would go quickly to equations instead of application. That's all I meant.

I know enough about proteins to follow, but I am not interested in it.

Also the ageism statement is
    Last edited by DMC; 11-15-2021 at 07:14 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a common experiment to take pie tins and make a homemade capacitor using a 9V battery. The principles of electricity are interesting, but the capacitance in UHV is a side effect, something unwanted that develops and isn't obvious. Capacitance in a lot of things isn't obvious, an the number of things you can find that are in reality capacitors is almost unlimited. So if you want to discuss reactive components, that's fine, but I believe with you it would go quickly to equations instead of application. That's all I meant.

I know enough about proteins to follow, but I am not interested in it.

Also the ageism statement is
    Nah the ageism thing is clear and it looks like we are getting a hold on it.
    Try to learn a new language the older you get. Very difficult.
    Your are born with all the neurons your brain will ever have.
    They die from there on out or are fired and used. This use of specific neuronal pathways built from the environment stimulation and then death occurring in neurons that are not used creates what really is a brain in constant change. Older people are supposed to be wise from experience. but you dont start with older people and teach them brand new math, its too difficult. hard wired. Those days are gone. You may not like it, but thats the way it appears to be. Almost all of the great physics minds did their best work in their 20s and 30s. This is why kids go to school when they are young to learn a wide variety of subjects. Its tougher to learn brand new ways of thinking when your logic pathways are already "burned" in.

And I totally agree the principles of electricity are interesting but the math is difficult. Maxwell's 4 equations. which I at one time understood is gone. But not Michael Faraday's life and experiments and Maxwell's ability to take Faraday and put it to math. But Faraday and his fundamental experiments and what he saw and how tedious this stuff was is incredible. And yes I like seeing sparks or a big discharge or colored glowing crap.
    To me the most interesting thing is the finding that moving a wire through a magnetic field in a particular orientation creates a current, thus a voltage difference. The basic principle behind turbines. The biggest contribution so far in our ability to tame potential energy imo. This of course is the fundamental part of capacitance, a separation of charge which is the beginning of understanding the electric field (just like a gravitational field) allows us to "discharge" the energy or "even the difference" and while this is happening transfer the energy into something else useful.

If you dont have a basic understanding of how important the shapes of proteins are, and that genetic material basically determines this fundamentally, you cant really understand as much about what is going on with medicine in general. Proteins, are the most important biological molecules because they can fold in so many ways and perform more functions by far compared to any other group of major biological molecules. Basic understanding of the immune system and why it can make antibodies to almost anything comes from this. Should be taught in HS biology imo. DNA ------>Protein Huge. The big picture is very important.
    btw, there are many examples of biological systems that separate charge using.... well ultimately energy from the sun or sometimes straight from the electron configuration of some basic molecule (like H2S)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What part of it is BS?

Did you even read what I was responding to? Of course not.

The SL was useless. It doesn't control the speed of the vehicle. Could you look at a 30.06 sign as an entry team to know anyone in the building is armed?
    This is such BS. Yes it is.

Of course it does not, but it does give you a REASONABLE range to work from.
    It is a perfectly reasonable place to start in this situation. Time the vehicles contact each other ALSO varies. But not enough to make a huge difference in the severity or whatever the car guys call it, of the crash. This really starts to get into significance of decimal places that you are not seeing. If the cars were going in different DIRECTIONS, the delta Vs that Darrin and RG were referring to would be additive which would be very significant. This is much more important than you griping about the speed limit sign "apparently able to turn cars in another direction"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And I totally agree the principles of electricity are interesting but the math is difficult. Maxwell's 4 equations. which I at one time understood is gone. But not Michael Faraday's life and experiments and Maxwell's ability to take Faraday and put it to math. But Faraday and his fundamental experiments and what he saw and how tedious this stuff was is incredible. And yes I like seeing sparks or a big discharge or colored glowing crap.
    To me the most interesting thing is the finding that moving a wire through a magnetic field in a particular orientation creates a current, thus a voltage difference. The basic principle behind turbines. The biggest contribution so far in our ability to tame potential energy imo. This of course is the fundamental part of capacitance, a separation of charge which is the beginning of understanding the electric field (just like a gravitational field) allows us to "discharge" the energy or "even the difference" and while this is happening transfer the energy into something else useful.
    I believe BB said he still understands the Maxwell 4.
    I already said I was not gifted at math but I can understand it easily enough.
    The basic low down on the importance of calculus and integration is incredibly interesting and very understandable, but doing the algebra to just get to the point where one can differentiate or integrate tougher equations must be practiced constantly imo.

Thread Information