Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok... And? What's ur conclusion? That we will win a ring with Murray as our best player?
    My point is as usual you are wrong. You're the one who said you simply can't win with a PG being your leading scorer which has been proven incorrect. If you're gonna make the assertion don't get butthurt when it's proven wrong. If you wanna simply state that we cannot win a le with Murray as our best player, that's different. But leading scorer and best player are not the same thing either. What point are you even making

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd also argue that given Murray's ascendancy this season and the fact that he likely is not at his peak yet, you could win a le with him as the best player provided you had an elite team and role players around him

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    OP makes no sense anyway because he seems to think letting DJ take a backseat to Keldon/Vassell is going to somehow lead to more team success

regardless of who is the leading scorer, no team is winning a ring with Keldon Johnson and Devin Vassell as the #1 and #2 options

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Murray would be a good 2 guard... He would lose his size advantage, and he is too thin and can't shoot well enough to consistently play off ball... And I don't think Brunson is good enough to be the starting Pg on a championship team unless u have a generational talent as ur best player

I think Brunson is a little better than you give him credit for, but I also think the Mavs are going to balk at paying him what his agents want and I don't think I want the Spurs to pay him that much either. Mostly I was just gauging the thoughts on Murray moving to the 2 position. Brunson is a pretty good defender and him, Murray, and Keldon would be a pretty tough defensive 1-3, but I get your point.

So you think the Spurs could win with Vassell at the 2? I don't think he's the 2 on a contender team any more than you think Brunson is the point on a contender. You think he's going to get there?

I don't hate Poeltl at C as much as a lot of people. It takes time to grow into that position. Leaving DJ, Vassell, and Keldon at 1-2-3 would let the Spurs tolerate Jak and focus on a 4, plus support players. (I assume you thought it through that far?) Maybe a two-season horizon for people to start talking about the Spurs seriously again?

Please don't disappoint me and start talking about the Spurs getting stars at every position. I'm more curious how you see the Spurs (realistically) building around DJ at the point and Keldon at the 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I more see Vassell as the expendable one out of the bunch. He's a pretty decent player yes but unless he significantly improves next season he really doesn't provide much more then allot of other players around the league do.

I do like Vassell but this team needs more "impact full " players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I more see Vassell as the expendable one out of the bunch. He's a pretty decent player yes but unless he significantly improves next season he really doesn't provide much more then allot of other players around the league do.

he's in his 2nd year and will make a lot more strides. He's a keeper

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what's different right now as opposed to the past is that there is no superteam like the 2015-2019 Warriors. The past 15 or so NBA champions all had an MVP level player on their team (the exceptions being 2014 Spurs and 2019 Raptors both of which had Kawhi). But this year, none of the frontrunners have that kind of MVP talent except for the Bucks. Phoenix is the favorite right now and it doesn't seem like it would take that great of a team to beat them. The champion could easily be the Celtics or the Heat and nobody would be surprised.

So I think it would be possible for a Murray led team to win a championship given enough supporting talent. If a Booker (or old Paul) led team, a Tatum led team, or a Butler led team could win the championship this year, I don't see why a Murray led team couldn't also win in the future especially if he can improve to be as good as current Booker/Tatum/Butler. I don't know if he will get to that level, but it's at least a possibility. But it's also likely that some superteam will form and dominate the league (the Nets, Lakers, and Clippers already tried to but failed due to injuries).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He’s the only player besides DJ who shoots well on the move. He’s a 3 level scorer, and a plus defender. Isn’t it possible that your standards are just a tad high? He’s the second or third best player on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was, obvioulsy. Watch all his finals and tell me who has the balls in hand and make the plays most of the time (with Pippen)... Then watch Steve Kerr, John Paxson or B.J Armstrong and tell me what they do besides getting the ball up the court then giving it to MJ or Pippen before standing in the corner for the occasional three?

Then tell me who averaged the more assists between Jordan and all these guys who were just PG by names. It's not even close.
    U are the only person in NBA history that considers MJ a point guard... Congratulations

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Brunson is a little better than you give him credit for, but I also think the Mavs are going to balk at paying him what his agents want and I don't think I want the Spurs to pay him that much either. Mostly I was just gauging the thoughts on Murray moving to the 2 position. Brunson is a pretty good defender and him, Murray, and Keldon would be a pretty tough defensive 1-3, but I get your point.

So you think the Spurs could win with Vassell at the 2? I don't think he's the 2 on a contender team any more than you think Brunson is the point on a contender. You think he's going to get there?

I don't hate Poeltl at C as much as a lot of people. It takes time to grow into that position. Leaving DJ, Vassell, and Keldon at 1-2-3 would let the Spurs tolerate Jak and focus on a 4, plus support players. (I assume you thought it through that far?) Maybe a two-season horizon for people to start talking about the Spurs seriously again?

Please don't disappoint me and start talking about the Spurs getting stars at every position. I'm more curious how you see the Spurs (realistically) building around DJ at the point and Keldon at the 3.
    No, we won't win a championship with this roster... But I do honestly think we will be better than we are now because it allows Vassel and Keldon to handle the ball more, grow their games and become more consistent as a result...

Usually when players are primarily catch and shoot in an offense where one guy dominates the ball, they are wildly inconsistent... We have seen that on every LeBron, Luka, Harden, Westrbook team... Obviously Murray isn't as ball dominant as those guys, but he IS a lesser version of that... It makes his numbers look great, but at the cost of slower development of teammates... It's why one game Devin can score 20, then the next go 1/5... We all can see his potential to be a solid 2 way player/borderline all star... Same with Keldon... It sounds crazy, but the potential is there

Lastly it will allow Murray to get used to a role where he is the 2nd or 3rd option so that when do do get better players, the transition is seamless... So not only do I think we would be better immediately, it would be a good transition for if we do get a star player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what's different right now as opposed to the past is that there is no superteam like the 2015-2019 Warriors. The past 15 or so NBA champions all had an MVP level player on their team (the exceptions being 2014 Spurs and 2019 Raptors both of which had Kawhi). But this year, none of the frontrunners have that kind of MVP talent except for the Bucks. Phoenix is the favorite right now and it doesn't seem like it would take that great of a team to beat them. The champion could easily be the Celtics or the Heat and nobody would be surprised.

So I think it would be possible for a Murray led team to win a championship given enough supporting talent. If a Booker (or old Paul) led team, a Tatum led team, or a Butler led team could win the championship this year, I don't see why a Murray led team couldn't also win in the future especially if he can improve to be as good as current Booker/Tatum/Butler. I don't know if he will get to that level, but it's at least a possibility. But it's also likely that some superteam will form and dominate the league (the Nets, Lakers, and Clippers already tried to but failed due to injuries).
    Booker, Tatum, and Butler are all wing players that play off ball and have some size to them... None are point guards...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But I do agree that the chip is there for the pickings right now... And I may sound crazy... But I think if we make the playoffs, we will be a PROBLEM for the Suns...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s the only player besides DJ who shoots well on the move. He’s a 3 level scorer, and a plus defender. Isn’t it possible that your standards are just a tad high? He’s the second or third best player on the team.
    Completely agree! He is one of the only players on the team that can create his own shot, and is fairly athletic...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U are the only person in NBA history that considers MJ a point guard... Congratulations
    I'm not even the only one in this thread, read again... Any person who knows just a bit about BB will tell you he was Bulls real PG, as in the one who called and made the plays with Pippen. Kerr, Paxson or Armstrong were just 3 pt shooters who averaged like 3 assits/game or less, for around 5 for Jordan...

But you're talking about a player and a team you didn't ever see playing, kid... I'm not even suprised you didn't answer the questions you're quoting proving MJ was the real PG cos you just can't and are not able to think beyond a simple designation "PG" to understand the real point on a team is the one who has the ball in hands and make things happen.

Thread Information