Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On second thought, Lakers might be all over him as Westbrook replacement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said prior to this year that the Bulls not extending him was really weird. Injury concerns or not, I would be happy if the Spurs maxed him and tried to bring him in. Whats the point of having capspace if you're not willing to use it on a guy like Lavine?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, I'm pretty torn on this. I'm not the biggest Lavine fan and while I don't worry too much about the knee, I do wonder whether the Spurs are actually ready for pulling the trigger like this and accelerating their timeline so much. Signing Lavine puts a huge clock on the Spurs' head for immediate contention, as Zach won't leave a good situation in CHI for nothing short of the promise of coming into a "WCF or bust" kinda team. Can the Spurs as constructed (and a few FA moves, ofc) fulfill those expectations? Or will they set themselves up for even more years of mediocrity and nothing to show for it?

Personally, I would rather the Spurs wait one more year before trying a move like this. Of course, Lavine won't be available by then, but if we've learned anything of the modern NBA, it's that there's always bound to be malcontent star players waiting for an opportunity to bounce off their teams. I'd like to see just one more season of Spurs' young core growing into their roles, getting extended run and minutes, and either fight for the POs or tank out, get a top lottery pick, and finish rounding up "The Core" that would attract a Lavine-level talent to SanAn. I have serious reservations as to whether the Spurs could put together a better team for Zach than this years' Bulls did, TBH.

Basically 60/40 on this, and hopefully Zach re-signs with Chicago and prevents the scenario from even happening. I liked this year's Bulls, and they have a great fanbase that's starving for good basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can't wait a year though. Not unless they're going to trade Keldon and Jakob and sign some one year deals. I don't really see what they gain in that scenario. The free agency class is pretty weak this year, but they probably need to try to find a use for that cap space this year even if that means trading for a max level player with some of their picks/assets into that space. I don't think the Spurs really have the luxury of a team like the Lakers though. If Lavine is willing to come this year, they probably need to take that gamble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can offer him more money (upwards of 200M vs around 160M), so if they don't make him a better offer it's because they chose not to.
    4yrs 160m, versus 5yrs 200m. That 5th year would probably be a player option around the same
    time he will be looking to sign his final big contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On second thought, Lakers might be all over him as Westbrook replacement.
    They have zero avenues to get him. Lakers should be focusing on signing Lonnie Walker which is more attainable for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not here to say that he's not a good player because he is, but is he enough of a game changer to throw that kind of money at him?
    What's the alternative? Spending the same amount of money on a bunch of McDermott type players that keep us treading water in perpetuity? The money will eventually need to get spent one way or another, let's do it on the way that gives us a chance to improve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good read. I like LaVine. But I have reservations on LaVine being a #1 option. And the Spurs are in desperate need for a goto scorer. Is it LaVine? Plus he’s another 6’5” who we have Devin and Primo already as promising players. It remains to be seen who they get in the draft. If we get a pure scorer like Shaedon, then forget it. If they get a Keegan or another PF, then maybe. I gues what I’m saying is Spurs could take a shot of him. But he’s not Spurs #1 priority this Summer.
    I just hope we don't pass on All-Star caliber players because "we have Devin and Primo already". They are irrelevant to the discussion on Lavine, because they've proven exactly zero.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, I'm pretty torn on this. I'm not the biggest Lavine fan and while I don't worry too much about the knee, I do wonder whether the Spurs are actually ready for pulling the trigger like this and accelerating their timeline so much. Signing Lavine puts a huge clock on the Spurs' head for immediate contention, as Zach won't leave a good situation in CHI for nothing short of the promise of coming into a "WCF or bust" kinda team. Can the Spurs as constructed (and a few FA moves, ofc) fulfill those expectations? Or will they set themselves up for even more years of mediocrity and nothing to show for it?

Personally, I would rather the Spurs wait one more year before trying a move like this. Of course, Lavine won't be available by then, but if we've learned anything of the modern NBA, it's that there's always bound to be malcontent star players waiting for an opportunity to bounce off their teams. I'd like to see just one more season of Spurs' young core growing into their roles, getting extended run and minutes, and either fight for the POs or tank out, get a top lottery pick, and finish rounding up "The Core" that would attract a Lavine-level talent to SanAn. I have serious reservations as to whether the Spurs could put together a better team for Zach than this years' Bulls did, TBH.

Basically 60/40 on this, and hopefully Zach re-signs with Chicago and prevents the scenario from even happening. I liked this year's Bulls, and they have a great fanbase that's starving for good basketball.
    The Spurs need to shoot their shot every free agency period at any top free agent who may have interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said prior to this year that the Bulls not extending him was really weird. Injury concerns or not, I would be happy if the Spurs maxed him and tried to bring him in. Whats the point of having capspace if you're not willing to use it on a guy like Lavine?
    So we can have for the next big FA class that never materializes!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good read. I like LaVine. But I have reservations on LaVine being a #1 option. And the Spurs are in desperate need for a goto scorer. Is it LaVine? Plus he’s another 6’5” who we have Devin and Primo already as promising players. It remains to be seen who they get in the draft. If we get a pure scorer like Shaedon, then forget it. If they get a Keegan or another PF, then maybe. I gues what I’m saying is Spurs could take a shot of him. But he’s not Spurs #1 priority this Summer.
    Oh man. The fact that Vassell and Primo are our 2 guards is exactly the reason Lavine makes sense. I know in your mind Vassell is a future all-star and 25/5/5 guy and Primo is a future HoFer but guess what; probably not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is a good point, and I think getting lucky with ping-pong balls plays a huge role. If we got into the Top 4 and drafted Banchero, I think that greatly accelerates our TL while still leaving us with good future assets (I think at that point, you definitely try to flip 20 and 25 into future picks). San Antonio immediately becomes very much like Memphis, a young franchise on the move WITH good future assets, and Lavine could see a lot of appeal in that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    honestly i just want our team to be compe ive again so it, sign me up. Dude's turning 27 soon, a young all star in his prime with elite athleticism and a good three point stroke, plus he's buddies with DJ? Do it Brian

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get what you're saying Sugus and feel the same to some degree. One point, if you sign Lavine, he could attract other free agents who could add to the movement and mesh into a formidable team. Besides, it's already hard enough to lure big name free agents, so you get what you can at this point. And with him having a connection with DJ, that helps.

The other hand, no one comes and you continue to draft and grow from within which would be slower but Zach is young enough where I don't think it should hinder Spurs signing him.

Not only that, the Spurs are in a good position to draft a player who can make an impact now. I still think other players would see the team as more attractive with Lavine after a year with some improved success in getting in the playoffs then without him. Then there are still some great role players and second tier free agents that could be possibilities like Covington, Bagley, Brunson, Anderson, Boucher, Jonas, JSmith, and/or actively looking to trade players on the roster that don't fit.

Real prize would be Beal but I doubt Spurs could lure him here since he loves playing Washington despite the team not being successful. Who knows though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a good point, and I think getting lucky with ping-pong balls plays a huge role. If we got into the Top 4 and drafted Banchero, I think that greatly accelerates our TL while still leaving us with good future assets (I think at that point, you definitely try to flip 20 and 25 into future picks). San Antonio immediately becomes very much like Memphis, a young franchise on the move WITH good future assets, and Lavine could see a lot of appeal in that.
    Exactly my thoughts as well. Draft could change a lot of things quickly. Having Lavine who already likes playing with DJ/KJ and Pop is a plus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not so sure about Beal and his wife’s loud antivax stance are a prize

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Bulls are an inept organization and a lot of what will happen with Zach is similar to how they (mis)handled the Lauri M situation. Just listen to how the local Chicago reporters disrespect the Bulls’ players in interviews. I am calling this again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Bulls are an inept organization and a lot of what will happen with Zach is similar to how they (mis)handled the Lauri M situation. Just listen to how the local Chicago reporters disrespect the Bulls’ players in interviews. I am calling this again.
    Look how they handled D Rose.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Lavine's point of view, it's a good thing he gets to see the results of the lottery and draft first.

One problem for the Spurs is they have to conduct the draft and all associated trades (if any) prior to being able to talk to Lavine let alone knowing if he will sign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Lavine's point of view, it's a good thing he gets to see the results of the lottery and draft first.

One problem for the Spurs is they have to conduct the draft and all associated trades (if any) prior to being able to talk to Lavine let alone knowing if he will sign.
    Judging by how many deals get announced within hours of free agency I’m not sure that’s how it actually goes down. We cleared the cap pretty quickly to bring in LMA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can't wait a year though.
    Why not, tbh, what's burnin'? They certainly don't look constructed for some big run at the moment. Of course, lottery luck and a shrewd FA period could change that, and Lavine very well could be a part of it... But it's not like DJ is unraveling at the seams or anything. The Spurs are one of the youngest teams in the league, they're not gonna drop dead for missing another postseason. I also don't see Keldon/Jakob being pivotal enough to be the main deciders over what to do next season at all, tbh. Arguably, not even Dejounte himself is that level of player to push you to immediate contention, but I can see the argument for him.

I don't think the Spurs really have the luxury of a team like the Lakers though. If Lavine is willing to come this year, they probably need to take that gamble.
    Ehh, maybe we look at it differently, but I don't see any guns pointed at SA's head calling for a "win-now" scenario. They don't need that gamble, just like they didn't need to throw that max offer at John Collins, and so on with the next FA pipedream that comes next season. Yes, they'll need to make "the move" eventually, and yes Lavine's connection to Dejounte is noteworthy, but if as an organization, you're not sure whether the supporting cast is mature/talented enough for a worthy run, I don't see the real necessity to mutilate your options by hurrying up a max signing, one that you can't take back if you fall flat next season.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good analysis of the "why". I asked a while back about how the Spurs are going to get back to contention. It's either something like this or finding a needle in the draft haystack. Obviously he has to go through medical, so I'm not too worried about that part. They would be going into it with their eyes open.

To get him, they have to just sign him outright I think. The idea of adding him to the roster is good. Sending out desirable talent to get him sort of defeats the purpose. The same goes for trying to trade for someone else. So if they are going to do something like this, it really needs to be an unrestricted free agent (assume that anyone we want would get matched if they're restricted). That really narrows it down. I agree that they have to at least take a shot.

So would they draft differently if they knew that they would be importing Lavine? I would think that they would take guys like Ogbaji off their board. That's sort of a problem, since they won't know. But if I was confident in landing Lavine, and didn't get a lottery pick, I think Eason looks better and better alongside DJ and Lavine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to shoot their shot every free agency period at any top free agent who may have interest.
    Disagree. The Spurs don't have a lot of "shots" in their gun, and beyond the obvious "make your diligence", they don't need to be the desperate dude at the party throwing themselves over anything resembling a girl, tbh. I don't see them as being "one piece away" as constructed, and signing a max player heavily restricts their hard-earned flexibility.

The Spurs aren't the Kings, bottom-line, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good analysis of the "why". I asked a while back about how the Spurs are going to get back to contention. It's either something like this or finding a needle in the draft haystack. Obviously he has to go through medical, so I'm not too worried about that part. They would be going into it with their eyes open.

To get him, they have to just sign him outright I think. The idea of adding him to the roster is good. Sending out desirable talent to get him sort of defeats the purpose. The same goes for trying to trade for someone else. So if they are going to do something like this, it really needs to be an unrestricted free agent (assume that anyone we want would get matched if they're restricted). That really narrows it down. I agree that they have to at least take a shot.

So would they draft differently if they knew that they would be importing Lavine? I would think that they would take guys like Ogbaji off their board. That's sort of a problem, since they won't know. But if I was confident in landing Lavine, and didn't get a lottery pick, I think Eason looks better and better alongside DJ and Lavine.
    Eason with those two is the more realistic “Seattle trio” that I’d like to see happen.

but I really want Banchero to be the guy….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, for sure, that's why I'm holding my breath until the lottery's over with at the least, and we see a clearer direction for the team. A lot of things would change should the Spurs land a top pick, and even the guy they select with said pick makes the roster composition vary wildly (they'd have much different holes to plug selecting Banchero than Smith, for example, the latter making Lavine much less of a priority, IMO). Getting Banchero is definitely a scenario where I'd be ok with the FO making a move at Lavine, but almost nothing short of that is enough to sway my opinion on this...

Thread Information