Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    timvp didn't post because he agreed. where's Bruno?

i mostly chalk this up to the league catching up and sam presti leaving. i know that can't be the whole story though.

if you think there isn't a significant drop-off between 99 to 08 vs the last 14 years then you're as retārded as K...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think presti was as big a part of the draft success as might be theorized. So he was one of two video guys (iirc the original story before it became a legend, there were 2 guys) who put a reel together to convince higher ups to give Parker a second workout. I guess that makes him a legend.

2001 was the same draft the Spurs passed on drafting Nocioni because they couldn't figure out how to read a calendar and realize he was draft eligible. Presti again?

After that in the first round they traded out of the Salmons pick, traded out of the Barbosa pick, took Beno who was a decent back up, took Ian while acting like they were secret agents, didn't have a 1st in 06, and he was gone to Seattle in June 2007. That Ian draft, while I do love Ian, did have a good amount of real NBA players to go after him, unlike the Beno draft that was pretty sparse by the end of the first.

There was the on paper positive of Scola in the second. Also trading into the second to take Sanikidze right ahead of Ariza.

And on Presti's say-so they took Karaulov with a second rounder, even though Presti had never seen him play in person, or on tape, and if memory serves had never even seen a photograph of. Not that there were any notable undrafted guys that year other than Coat Thief.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I don't think presti was as big a part of the draft success as might be theorized. So he was one of two video guys (iirc the original story before it became a legend, there were 2 guys) who put a reel together to convince higher ups to give Parker a second workout. I guess that makes him a legend.
    yeah, i honestly can't think it was all presti.

i think the spurs drafted so well that scouts and others got poached by other teams.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Presti might have been more instrumental in their trades. I have a vague memory that he played a role in the multi team trade that involved getting Hedo and Mercer for a retiring Ferry contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've gone over Presti before. Not sure his drafting prowess is all that great. Sure, he got Durant, Westbrook and Harden, but those were high picks and barely controversial. He did squeeze SGA and scads of picks out of LAC, but that's not the same as drafting.

Leaving aside his recent picks (Giddey looks good, unsure about the others), his drafting since about 2010 has almost universally been terrible. The only players that have been good, other than a good Stephen Adams pick, were on behalf of other teams.

Take a look:
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...OKC/draft.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kudos to the spurs acquiring kawhi on draft night. the pacers drafted him though.
    You love making bull threads JFC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y'all should just ignore this attention . He basically stopped by, couldn't bump his other thread, and decided to make a new one that is also just as full of . Just ignore this dude. He's a troll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm positive there were many draft turds between 1999 and 2012 too. Leon Smith, Jean Charles, Ian Mahinmi come to mind right now.
    Leon Smith was drafted FOR Dallas, and traded on draft night. LJC was injured. Mahinmi didn’t make it here, but played over 600 NBA games, and had glowing things to say about the organization during his in game interview this year. Just because a player moves on doesn’t mean he was a whiff. GHill has played almost 900 games. Udrih played over 800 NBA Games. Corey Joseph has played over 700 games. Kyle Anderson has passed the 500 game mark.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    20 years of succes does that. If you look 20oo and onwards, they still did pretty damn solid for drafting in the lat 20s. Blair, Scola, Mahinmi, Splitter etc had solid careers in the NBA.

There has been a notabale shift in the drafting over the past several years, the team went from drafting older and foreign players, to high risk and high reward type of guys.
    Best way to this decribe these few drafts for the Spurs have been a miss and hit.
    Luka; Was miss, but onces again was a high risk high reward type of pick
    Primo; was a dumbass. em iidoit

The hits:
    Dj: borderline All-star and is showing again this year.
    Kj; early in the season, but from what we saw from last year and this year he's playing at an border-line all star level, and a solid 2nd.3rd option on a playoff team. He still can improve and be more of point forawrd if he develops.
    Devin; I think Vassel also has solid upside and we are seeing it. I can see him being 18-20 pg guy in the league with good defense. I also think he might have better and more of a complete offensive game than KJ.

The only outliner from this is Lonnie;
    Who's been average and so far he's good better than average this season.

Overall the drafts have been solid, nyour going to hit and your also going to have misses it opart of the game. heck as the Kings and their fans.

Now lets looks at our newest draft picks;
    Sochan; I think is going to be special. Defenisvley, he probably is the best defender on the team at the moment. offensively, there's work but he's shown us solid tools. he's shown he has an adequate dribble, he does need to learn to finsih and be more control of his game, improve his mid0range and than work on his 3pt release. But the upside is elite.
    Wesley; its unfoctunate that he got hurt, but I do beleieve that he could be the steal of the draft. the biggest knock on him was the lack of 3 pt shot and that he was raw. The limited time we saw him, it looked like those were not much of concerns.
    Malaki; is hard to judge at the moment, but he looks like a nature scorer. He's going to score but the defemsiove end with determien but type of player he is.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small sample worst players this year, FiveThirtyEight:

244) Brandon Clarke, Killian Hayes, Tyus Jones, Jordan Poole, James Wiseman
    249) Jabari Smith, Jr.
    250) Norman Powell

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small sample worst players this year, FiveThirtyEight:

244) Brandon Clarke, Killian Hayes, Tyus Jones, Jordan Poole, James Wiseman
    249) Jabari Smith, Jr.
    250) Norman Powell
    Not sure what's up with Tyus Jones and Brandon Clarke, but the Memphis support doesn't look as fearsome this year yet. Jordan Poole is probably checked out after Kerr failed to do anything after Draymond tried to spin his face around his neck. Probably permanently. I always suspected Jabari Smith was a high level 3&D role player, drafted too high very expensive one, and Houston is positively the worst place for him. And James Wiseman has always been terrible. Imagine drafting a guy who ran away from an easy college program to hide how bad he was.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    You love making bull threads JFC.
    K... level retārded right here.

Y'all should just ignore this attention . He basically stopped by, couldn't bump his other thread, and decided to make a new one that is also just as full of . Just ignore this dude. He's a troll.
    i'm not trolling.
    Last edited by gambit1990; 11-07-2022 at 12:57 AM. Reason: to mention that MannyIsGodRetārded

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    20 years of succes does that. If you look 20oo and onwards, they still did pretty damn solid for drafting in the lat 20s. Blair, Scola, Mahinmi, Splitter etc had solid careers in the NBA.

There has been a notabale shift in the drafting over the past several years, the team went from drafting older and foreign players, to high risk and high reward type of guys.
    Best way to this decribe these few drafts for the Spurs have been a miss and hit.
    Luka; Was miss, but onces again was a high risk high reward type of pick
    Primo; was a dumbass. em iidoit

The hits:
    Kj; early in the season, but from what we saw from last year and this year he's playing at an border-line all star level, and a solid 2nd.3rd option on a playoff team. He still can improve and be more of point forawrd if he develops.
    Devin; I think Vassel also has solid upside and we are seeing it. I can see him being 18-20 pg guy in the league with good defense. I also think he might have better and more of a complete offensive game than KJ.

The only outliner from this is Lonnie;
    Who's been average and so far he's good better than average this season.

Overall the drafts have been solid, nyour going to hit and your also going to have misses it opart of the game. heck as the Kings and their fans.

Now lets looks at our newest draft picks;
    Sochan; I think is going to be special. Defenisvley, he probably is the best defender on the team at the moment. offensively, there's work but he's shown us solid tools. he's shown he has an adequate dribble, he does need to learn to finsih and be more control of his game, improve his mid0range and than work on his 3pt release. But the upside is elite.
    Wesley; its unfoctunate that he got hurt, but I do beleieve that he could be the steal of the draft. the biggest knock on him was the lack of 3 pt shot and that he was raw. The limited time we saw him, it looked like those were not much of concerns.
    Malaki; is hard to judge at the moment, but he looks like a nature scorer. He's going to score but the defemsiove end with determien but type of player he is.
    I was ready to post something just like this. There was a clear dividing line after the dreadful 2010 playoff loss. Before that, Spurs were filling their roster with vets they knew could immediately produce 8p/5r or 7p/4a. They had zero time to develop players that weren’t ready to play. Even Tony, drafted at 19, had played professionally since he was 16, and was a near immediate starter. That’s not the same thing as a 19 YO US player who’s highest level of comp was probably wild west AAU.

In 2011 we traded for the Kawhi pick, and grabbed CoJo at the end of the round. Kawhi was so elite on defense that they could just stick him in the corner on offense for a couple of years. CoJo was the Spurs first developmental project, by accident. He wanted to play, and wasn’t at all, so he asked to be assigned. That paid dividends, and became the model with very few exceptions. The Spurs realized that they could no longer put only aging vets around their now aging core. They needed some young blood, and they were going to have to develop those players.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    uh, scola and splitter fit my window. i mentioned them in the first post.

The hits:
    i mentioned DJ and KJ in the original post.

DJ, KJ, and Devin in the past 14 years are nothing compared to 99 to 08.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the very least, you gotta give OP some credit tbh. It can't be easy spending your every day thinking of new ways of trying to on your supposedly favorite team, and just keep digging that hole regardless of reality checks. It takes effort, people!

On the real side, at yet another pathetic troll attempt. The second you make a Spurs Draft analysis thread, and willingly exclude Kawhi, you know you're full of . I do wonder whether you thought ST of all places would let that slide, OP? You don't know your public all too well it seems...

Thread Information