Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During the pandemic, half of the U.S.’s excess deaths—the missing Americans—were under 65 years old. Even though working-age Americans were less likely to die of COVID than older Americans, they fared considerably worse than similarly aged people in other countries. From 2019 to 2021, the number of working-age Americans who died increased by 233,000—and nine in 10 of those deaths wouldn’t have happened if the U.S. had mortality rates on par with its peers.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Not when you're carrying the Nazi's in Ukraine hand-to-mouth for over a year now & counting, + the zipperheads in both South & North Korea since '50, and the slopes in Taiwan,,,&&&&&&&&&...

You get the idea, blankethead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know it's serious when insurance companies get jittery.

A coalition of insurance industry and healthcare leaders have formed a non-profit organization to help global insurers screen, test, and triage members to combat the baffling rise in excess mortality.

Members of the group, called The Insurance Collaboration to Save Lives, say they were increasingly concerned about excess mortality and morbidity trends that even three years after the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, have not returned to pre-pandemic levels.

Excess mortality, defined as more deaths than normally expected, rose during the pandemic with estimates of 16.8 to 28.1 million worldwide excess deaths from all causes. But as COVID-19-related deaths decreased through 2022, excess mortality continued to persist in many countries.

Statistics show the mortality gap increased the number of U.S. deaths by 34.8% in 2021, resulting in 892,491 excess deaths that year. When controlling for population size, the annual number of excess deaths is up 84.9% between 2019 and 2021. In other words, the number of excess deaths each year almost doubled, according to the California Center for Population Research at UCLA.

With excess morbidity comes excess losses for insurers that could be significantly quelled with digital screening and triage of policyholders.

Josh Stirling, a former equity analyst and co-founder of the Collaboration, estimates proactive screening and testing could bring insurers a 50x to 100x return from the mortality savings. More important, though he said, the health screening, targeted blood testing, and intelligent use of data would save lives.
    https://insurancenewsnet.com/innarti...cess-mortality

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stirling believes there is a small window of opportunity for insurers to get ahead of the excess mortality problem before it becomes a major financial problem for the insurance industry. The Collaboration is seeking support and working capital to eventually roll out the screening processes nationwide, and then worldwide.

Assuming $200,000 average life policies and a $200 cost of screening, the savings will cover the costs if as few as 0.1%, or 1 in 1,000, lives are saved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Things tend to remain the same until big business's bottom line is threatened. Just so soon as that happens, things can change quickly, as we all saw in 2020-2021.

“Even after COVID started to wane, it feels like there's problems with mortality, which I believe right now is a public health problem that can be addressed by insurance taking leadership,” he said. “I think longer term, there’s the possibility of litigation from this is going to be bigger than things like asbestos was for the insurance industry. So, let’s try to figure this out and solve this problem.”

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Things tend to remain the same until big business's bottom line is threatened. Just so soon as that happens, things can change quickly, as we all saw in 2020-2021.
    Sweetheart, before Election Day COVID will be "a good thing."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disease is never a good thing, sweetheart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "it's just a cold"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I slightly disagree with this. Chronic disability and organ damage from SARS2 infection will affect vastly more juveniles. Short of death, the toll of SARS2 is and will be generational.

When respiratory disease deaths in kids exceeded Cancer deaths, there should have been a discussion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are actuaries woke globalists, or are they number crunchers for insurance companies?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No data, no problem!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Covid was the 3rd leading cause of death in the US last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sweeping the toll of COVID under the rug, as Biden has, is a pure political calculation scorning public health and official responsibility for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information