Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1999 and 2003 Pops plan was 4 down. You hear him in the huddle and he says 'give the ball to Tim and we'll see what they do'. That's not a great coach. A pre school kid could have known to tell the team to do that.
    True — which is why I dont understand why he doesnt do the same with wemby

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd even be happy with Jim Boylen at this point. At least he had to sub in the 3rd stringers at the end of the 4th to make sure they lose. Pop is getting blown out with the starters

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True — which is why I dont understand why he doesnt do the same with wemby
    Victor is pretty trash in the low post. Can't hold position and gets pushed easily into fadeaways.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1999 and 2003 Pops plan was 4 down. You hear him in the huddle and he says 'give the ball to Tim and we'll see what they do'. That's not a great coach. A pre school kid could have known to tell the team to do that.
    I have never thought Pop was a very good ingame coach, but in the past he has been excellent with player development. Guys like Malik Rose, Stephen Jackson, and Danny Green had their careers resurrected off the trash heap by Pop. Seems nonexistent right now though. Most frustrating thing is seeing Sochan not being molded into a good defender when he has the physical tools to be one.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One more, and grand pa is still the MC of the franchise, giving lessons to everyone. Terrible organization TBH. Pop is puting a legacy of on the Spurs for how is performing with the best prospect of the decade.

For sure our French diamond will not waste another year with this senile "coach".
    Last edited by tapiefan; 12-09-2023 at 06:04 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor is pretty trash in the low post. Can't hold position and gets pushed easily into fadeaways.
    Simple understanding of defensive leverage at play. His COG is simply too high. His only advantage is his length if he can get one step, he wins. If not, and they can square him up, he's next to useless in the post.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have never thought Pop was a very good ingame coach, but in the past he has been excellent with player development. Guys like Malik Rose, Stephen Jackson, and Danny Green had their careers resurrected off the trash heap by Pop. Seems nonexistent right now though. Most frustrating thing is seeing Sochan not being molded into a good defender when he has the physical tools to be one.
    I agree with that. He thinks in long time frames. He was great at drawing up plays for specific moments but as for in game adjustments, not so much. Probably where Bud learned from.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Pop. He’s great all time coach. The 4th best ever. He’s won so many games for us and done more for us as a city than any coach possibly could. The success he had in a small market will never be matched and is unparalleled. When I think coaching excellence, basketball excellence, and overall human being excellence, I think of Pop more so than anybody in the history of the league. Him sucking as a coach pains me on an emotional level bc of all the battles this man has led us through.

But every coach gets old. Every general retires. Every person reaches the time when it’s time to move on from him. Will he be fired? I hope not. I hope he steps down gracefully. But he can’t be our coach any longer. He can be a consultant. He can be our president of operations. He can be at the facility every single day as a special liaison of some sort. But just not our coach. No bashing or hating from me. It’s just time to move on.

No one's expecting Holt Cat to come out and call a PC and say Pop has been relieved of duties.

What we want is for the Spurs to call a PC and Pop to announce he's retiring (health issues would be a good catch all reason).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, it doesn’t have to be 4down. More like 4 mid or whatever spot Wemby is comfortable in. An iso in his preferred spot.

He cant carry as one of the options. He has to be THE option. Running a bunch of isos creates that mentality. At the beginning of the season Id say in response to this but what if we start losing a bunch. That would destroy Wemby's confidence. But what's stopping us now
    Last edited by z0sa; 12-09-2023 at 11:28 AM. Reason: got in front of a real keyboard

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's season plan looks to be bold and decisive so far. Definitely not taking the easy path and knowing that other coaches may balk at coming into a team so devoid of star talent after Wemby. So, he went all in on Jeremy as point guard to develop possible star talent while simultaneously letting Victor on his own discover his short comings and areas for improvement, fully cognizant of his tendencies to alienate star players by being too controlling, formerly known as coaching. If Jeremy pops, then great. If not, the team is perfectly set up for a top 5 pick while Jeremy takes his new experience back to his forward position.

It's Pop's own exit strategy. Like a soldier, he's falling on his sword with these bold moves a rookie coach wouldn't have the balls or organizational support to try. And as he's said before, he's trying to set the team up for whoever takes over next. Haters have wanted tanking and bold moves to push this team towards success. And he is delivering. It's his most humble coaching year ever.

(*Leaves quietly and grabs popcorn*)

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    it’s so weird, it’s almost like pop wants to humble wemby with all these Ls. like he didn’t want the hype / success vs the suns to get to his head.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's season plan looks to be bold and decisive so far. Definitely not taking the easy path and knowing that other coaches may balk at coming into a team so devoid of star talent after Wemby. So, he went all in on Jeremy as point guard to develop possible star talent while simultaneously letting Victor on his own discover his short comings and areas for improvement, fully cognizant of his tendencies to alienate star players by being too controlling, formerly known as coaching. If Jeremy pops, then great. If not, the team is perfectly set up for a top 5 pick while Jeremy takes his new experience back to his forward position.

It's Pop's own exit strategy. Like a soldier, he's falling on his sword with these bold moves a rookie coach wouldn't have the balls or organizational support to try. And as he's said before, he's trying to set the team up for whoever takes over next. Haters have wanted tanking and bold moves to push this team towards success. And he is delivering. It's his most humble coaching year ever.

I have had very similar thoughts this season. Pop has been given so much by the Spurs that it makes sense that it's his turn take his lumps. A rebuild is never pretty or easy. Pop is doing the dirty work for the Spurs and saving a coach from this unwinable situation.
    I do think Pop can be a great teacher and that is sorely needed with this squad. It's becoming clearer that we are on a long trajectory. Hence, Brett Brown's hiring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What in the sniff is this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What in the sniff is this?
    Some people just like to watch the world burn.

Note the starred message at the end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, we eating good this season. 17 straight baby!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate being aligned in any way with ing ducks, but here we are.

It's been a great run, ol' buddy, but it's time for you to go live on a nice farm where you can run and enjoy the sun.
    NO ONE CAN FIRE POP IN THE WORLD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats to coach Greg the Pop popovich for a record breaker tonight.

Still in the hunt for the Iowa sharpshooter

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    if pop announced his coaching retirement tomorrow, would his contract just be void? or the spurs would work out something akin to a buyout?

if he got fired then he'd still be owed all his money, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that the old man is getting paid an NBA record $16M/year for this is -show actually hilarious tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NO ONE CAN FIRE POP IN THE WORLD
    Timmy Duncan is the only person the clueless Holt Jrs would listen to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, now I just feel awful about everything I said about Pop’s coaching so far this season!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that the old man is getting paid an NBA record $16M/year for this is -show actually hilarious tbh
    And isn't Monty in Detroit the second highest paid coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is getting ridiculous. It makes no sense for the spurs to tank this year. Last year was obvious and the fan base could endure it because there was hope and the young players were actually developing. Sochan was improving at a tremendous rate last year with a defined role and a limited number of things to focus on. This year he has regressed dramatically because there are no directions at all in what he should do.

If the spurs are tanking this year this means that there is no one on the roster PATFO thinks is a worthy second banana to wemby, which is sobering. Vassell and sochan, with the right directions and growth plans can be key cogs on a contender but Vassell looks like nick young reincarnate and sochan barely looks like an nba player.

I do not buy that the spurs are tanking on purpose and I do not buy that the players are this bad. This is all poor coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop should tell Trump he be in his cabinet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby needs to tell David Robinson
    Tell pop to retire
    No one has the balls David Robinson does

Thread Information