Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can hit the floor by signing some guy off the street to a guaranteed deal and waiving him

"hitting the floor" doesnt add any value to the trade
    True but it provides some extra context to paying a salary (considering Sa got cash too) and the “price” they paid for that pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True but it provides some extra context to paying a salary (considering Sa got cash too) and the “price” they paid for that pick.
    i mean yeah, if the owner doesnt give the team a reasonable budget and requires cash considerations to make a deal just to hit the cap floor, you've got bigger problems

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Payne is clearly a little better player in his head than what he's shown so far in the league. Spurs don't need that with this young group. If he embraced being a veteran leader that would have been cool...but no big loss.
    And Graham seems to be embracing that role. Josh Richardson was a good vet for these guys and while Graham has a strong chance of being dealt at the deadline, his at ude is good.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not certain will be dealt at the deadline. Another team will need to want him and I am not sure there will be a market for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Payne being waived before the training camp really show what this trade is all about: the second round pick Spurs' got for taking his contract. The question is how good will it be?

The pick Spurs got is New Orleans 2025 second round pick. Hornets should get better but they still have a long way before being a top team. I would say this pick has a bigger chance of being an early second round pick than a late one.

The main issue with that it's that it's in 2025 draft pick. In 2025, Spurs will have between 2 to 5 first round picks and 3 second round picks. Spurs won't keep all these picks and they will need to do some trades.

When you look at all the salary dump trades made this summer, Spurs got a good deal. We will see how Wright will manage all these picks in 2025.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Payne being waived before the training camp really show what this trade is all about: the second round pick Spurs' got for taking his contract. The question is how good will it be?

The pick Spurs got is New Orleans 2025 second round pick. Hornets should get better but they still have a long way before being a top team. I would say this pick has a bigger chance of being an early second round pick than a late one.

The main issue with that it's that it's in 2025 draft pick. In 2025, Spurs will have between 2 to 5 first round picks and 3 second round picks. Spurs won't keep all these picks and they will need to do some trades.

When you look at all the salary dump trades made this summer, Spurs got a good deal. We will see how Wright will manage all these picks in 2025.
    The pick was only half of it. We also got almost enough money to cover his salary, too, and depending on how much he signs for elsewhere, Spurs may have gotten free money AND the draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The pick was only half of it. We also got almost enough money to cover his salary, too, and depending on how much he signs for elsewhere, Spurs may have gotten free money AND the draft pick.
    the owners* get free money

the team doesnt benefit from that

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

imo it shows how desperate the Suns were.

The money benefits the owners, the pick benefits the team. There weren't any deals out there good enough for the Spurs to need to maintain cap space so they used it for a couple of minor assets. I don't see the problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo it shows how desperate the Suns were.

The money benefits the owners, the pick benefits the team. There weren't any deals out there good enough for the Spurs to need to maintain cap space so they used it for a couple of minor assets. I don't see the problem.
    ive said multiple times i liked the Payne trade because of the pick we got out of it

i'm just not going to list "reaching the floor" and "money in the pocket of the owners" as reasons to like the trade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Players benefited from being under the floor this year. They get to split the amount that the team was under the floor. Spurs could have been s and grabbed some late salary like the sixers did that one year.

I don’t know if you realize it, but owners don’t pocket money like that. It’ll go onto the balance sheet, and be paid over the next years to Vassell, Sochan,and Wemby. Owners really only make money when they sell and cash out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players benefited from being under the floor this year. They get to split the amount that the team was under the floor. Spurs could have been s and grabbed some late salary like the sixers did that one year.

I don’t know if you realize it, but owners don’t pocket money like that. It’ll go onto the balance sheet, and be paid over the next years to Vassell, Sochan,and Wemby. Owners really only make money when they sell and cash out.
    The team didn’t benefit from us being below the floor. The bank accounts of the players did. Keldon collecting an extra 300k or whatever doesn’t make the spurs better.

i only care about the spurs being better. Not the owner or players becoming slightly more wealthy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest, I'd rather see the Spurs try to develop Jabari Rice than give this mofo a roster spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's not really a problem to have more 2RPs, as we've seen recently, they have some value not just for themselves... You can drop them in packages for a bench vet, to sweeten a trade or just sell them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does it still work to use a 2rp on some obscure player in nowhereistan if you can't find a useful player to pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does it still work to use a 2rp on some obscure player in nowhereistan if you can't find a useful player to pick?
    Better to kick the pick down the road like we did with #33 this year, getting a future SRP and some cash.

edit: it was two SRPs, Denver's 2026 SRP and Minnesota's own 2028 SRP.
    Last edited by exstatic; 09-18-2023 at 03:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he signs with someone which I am sure he will the minimum salary for him is around $2.7 million. So the Spurs will end up with almost $2 million plus a 2nd round pick for nothing. Seems like a small win to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad Payne was such a prick. Had he had any balls he could be helping the Spurs a lot right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he’s enjoying those 11 1/2 minutes a game with the Bucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fvck you Cam Payne! You could have made a difference you ignorant prick!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...s/74102950007/

Something about this guy has always been kind of y.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurstalk gets excited no matter what scrub the team picks up. Go back and read who thought this guy was going to make any type of difference.

This guy didn't even play one game for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wouldn’t have played 150 minutes this year for us. Thanks, Milwaukee for cutting our dead money by. $2M this year by signing him.

Another Presti golden nugget!

Thread Information