Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Chinook correctly pointed out, putting young players in unfavorable situations, watching them not be up for it and then quickly giving up on them because of this, should not be a reason to get rid. At the very least because it has destroyed whatever value they might have had. For that reason, I wouldn't shop any of the young guys unless they're a part of an advantageous larger trade.

See if you can get anything for the vets, which is unlikely to be of any significance - a couple more 2nds or not , who cares.

I'd shop some of the picks the Spurs have - the Toronto pick, the Chicago - and see if it can get them someone good for next year and on. For example, if Toronto don't expect to keep Anunoby their own 1st back might be better value than other offers they'd get - 2 or 3 picks in the 20s aren't more valuable than a single one in the 8-12 range. They probably won't do it out of spite because they'd look really bad, but who knows, they've seen so much talent go for nothing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the popologists keep saying it's smart to developp young players blabla

Their age is irrelevant to the issue!

Their lack of skills and true potential is the real concern

Aside of Wemby there isn't one player in this roster that shows real elite potential and worth the time developping

Spurs tried to developp Vassel for years and we see how many huge weaknesses he has.

It's like debating with religious fundamentalists...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only player to keep is victor, after that i will keep vassell, keldon and sochan.

Everyody else is tradable and if i have a big offer for keldon i can trade him too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here’s a bold take: Wesley is going to be given the starting position soon and will surprise people by how much he’s improved. He will become a bright spot in an otherwise awful season. And I think Cissoko will get some burn too and show he’s a real prospect.
    I was pretty hard on him this summer and I didn't think he had much of a future but his last two games show some hope. Will still need to see much more from him but hopefully he can be productive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shop, cut, fire or waive: Pop

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at least Blake can beat everyone down the court.. put him together with Tre and VW and now we can get people moving.. And the Kid can play a little defense.. jmho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is a keeper because he’s a shooter. The NBA is a shooter’s league now.

Do people not watch the games?

Doesn’t matter whether you like the way the NBA is or not. That’s the reality. Face it.

The NBA currently rewards three types of players.

1. Bully-boy superstars (typified by Embiid & Giannis)

2. Shooters

3. Aggressive drivers/scorers (Morant, SGA, etc)

Others have to scrounge for scraps. Jokic can flourish, because of sheer skill, and by being a little bit of all three.

Defense? Forget it. As a primary skill, that is. Bring in some new player who tries to play aggressive defense and the refs will foul him out. The refs are calling scads of fouls even on “soft” defenders. You’ll see it every game.

If you draft for defense, in this NBA, you’re a moron. Btw.

Good defense, so called, currently consists of being in the correct location to bother a shooter. Mustn’t touch! That’s primarily a coaching issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here’s a bold take: Wesley is going to be given the starting position soon and will surprise people by how much he’s improved. He will become a bright spot in an otherwise awful season. And I think Cissoko will get some burn too and show he’s a real prospect.
    I'd probably rather see Wesley at this point than Branham doing whatever it is he is trying to do most nights.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd probably rather see Wesley at this point than Branham doing whatever it is he is trying to do most nights.
    At least with Wesley you'd get some defensive effort to pair with the inept offensive skills when you only get the latter from Branham.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Chinook correctly pointed out, putting young players in unfavorable situations, watching them not be up for it and then quickly giving up on them because of this, should not be a reason to get rid. At the very least because it has destroyed whatever value they might have had. For that reason, I wouldn't shop any of the young guys unless they're a part of an advantageous larger trade.

See if you can get anything for the vets, which is unlikely to be of any significance - a couple more 2nds or not , who cares.

I'd shop some of the picks the Spurs have - the Toronto pick, the Chicago - and see if it can get them someone good for next year and on. For example, if Toronto don't expect to keep Anunoby their own 1st back might be better value than other offers they'd get - 2 or 3 picks in the 20s aren't more valuable than a single one in the 8-12 range. They probably won't do it out of spite because they'd look really bad, but who knows, they've seen so much talent go for nothing.
    Sochan made to play point was re ed, but that experiment mercifully ended and he still hasn't done much. The young guys outside of Wesley have gotten a ton of playing time to prove they belong and instead they have proved the opposite outside of maybe Vassell who hasn't looked great but is at least not actively hurting the team. Pop is being a moron with the defense he's apparently running but these guys aren't producing offensively either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1 week passes and I’ll dare say Barlow has looked… passable as a backup C

the backup position has been a huge liability in the past because Collins is a blackhole on offense and is a traffic cone on defense. Bassey would have his dumb moments and Mamu didn’t provide anything substantial.

with Barlow out there, the flow of the offense is much better and he makes key shots and rebounds when it counts. He still makes dumb fouls from time to time but nowhere near the stupidity of Zach Collins.

If Barlow shows consistency, this allows the Spurs to focus on getting talent in other needed positions

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is playing a really archaic style of defense where Sochan is following the opponent's best scorers around and is asked to check them without any modern concept of help. Modern defense focuses on getting dribbles picked up and making your rotations if you really have to help someone. The Spurs basically don't help unless it's a called double, a gamble or the guy's already in the paint. Sochan should be using his big body to funnel his guys into help while also being able to switch onto any player screening for his man. Being a versatile defender should mean that you can defend in a lot of different situations on the fly. Pop seems to take it as being able to guard 1-4 or 1-5, which suggests that Jeremy should be guarding these players directly and not just flowing around improve the defense wherever he goes.
    That seems like an argument to 1) change the HC, which we know isn't happening until he's ready or 2) trade Sochan. He needs a change of scenery if we aren't goung to put him in position to succeed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1 week passes and I’ll dare say Barlow has looked… passable as a backup C

the backup position has been a huge liability in the past because Collins is a blackhole on offense and is a traffic cone on defense. Bassey would have his dumb moments and Mamu didn’t provide anything substantial.

with Barlow out there, the flow of the offense is much better and he makes key shots and rebounds when it counts. He still makes dumb fouls from time to time but nowhere near the stupidity of Zach Collins.

If Barlow shows consistency, this allows the Spurs to focus on getting talent in other needed positions
    Definitely a guy who needs consistent burn. His improvement has been impressive considering where he was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Historically, when generational players like Wemby get drafted by a team with a bad record, they win their first le with a roster that has undergone a total or near total transformation. Jordan's first ring featured no players from his rookie season, and it was the same for Olajuwon, Steph Curry, Dirk Nowitzki, & Nikola Jokic. Giannis's le team retained only one player from his rookie season-- Khris Middleton.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You lost me at "Keep Champagnie."

Never seen a worse starter in the NBA. And he's one of the 3 you want to keep. Uh....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Called It Tbh. Now They Just Need To Give Cissoko A Run…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A more interesting question is how would you value each player on the squad at the half way mark of this season.

(1) multiple FRPs
    (2) Single FRP
    (3) Multiple SRPs
    (4) Neutral Value
    (5) Dead money

Thread Information