Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's as good a result as one can hope for.
    • Close game on the road against a good team
    • Players other than Victor played well
    • Stay in the bottom 3 records
    • Victor wouldn't be as frustrated with a loss in a game he didn't play in

All the whining over this loss is just that. es gonna .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have more talent than people realize or give them credit for. My goodness, you all are about to be dominating the west all over again very soon lmao sheesh
    It's mostly only this board that's blind, thankfully. The NBA in general rightly recognizes that the Spurs are not far off from being a real problem of a team.

Hopefully Kings and Spurs can meet in the PO's before long, they're always good games to watch since the "Fox era".

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm actually surprised this game went to the wire with Wemby out, which is a good job by the other scrubs on this roster against a playoff team. I'm glad Pop is taking full accountability for not calling a time out at the end. Starts at 0:50 min

A very humble Pop. Lol. As if he doesn't know what the reporter is trying to say.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF am I reading…

So now it’s Victor who has to integrate himself??

Not only it’s the other way around but it’s impossible to have the same type of game with him.

First the less talent u have the more u have to rely on mobility and ball movement, then Victor is 7’5 and you’ll exhaust him at running all around, he’s already setting up screens all the time.

This isn’t 2014, the model to follow is closer to the nuggets's with Victor having Jokic's role
    I think the team will obviously have to adapt around Victor, but as Victor is still exploring all his options all over the court, I think it's natural that a lot of other players are trying to figure out where they're spot is and how they're going to get the ball etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other poster wrote a little fan fiction. Lol. Not to be taken seriously. People need their fantasies.

It was a perfect trap game for the Spurs to win. The Kings came off a big win over L.A. the day before, and they knew the Spurs were without Wemby. The Kings were flat, not well motivated.

Then, the Spurs shot uncharacteristically well. 12% better than their season average from 3, and they hit 100% of 21 free throws.

A halfway decent team would have won that game by double digits. For the Spurs it was only a different twist on the same old story, the story of a losing team with a losing culture. That game changes nothing about the Spurs needing better players, and better coaching. In fact, it emphasizes that exact point. The team is not good enough.
    Easy to say Spurs need better players. That’s Lakers mentality and giving up easily on Ingram, Caruso, Randle, Zubac, Clarkson, etc… poaching star players instead of building up, sometimes would work, often times not, sacrificing chemistry. I’m not saying Spurs don’t need to add good veteran, but also important building the core through developing players.
    Last edited by John B; 03-08-2024 at 12:57 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man that was sad to see the boys lose after playing so hard. A couple of mistakes and we lose by two. On to Hollywood.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's as good a result as one can hope for.
    • Close game on the road against a good team
    • Players other than Victor played well
    • Stay in the bottom 3 records
    • Victor wouldn't be as frustrated with a loss in a game he didn't play in

All the whining over this loss is just that. es gonna .
    A better result would be to win the game and all of those bullets still apply. It's like you all think the players sit around and talk about record placement and protected picks.

Winning is good for development. If you expect anyone on the current roster to be a serious contributor when this franchise is ready to compete again, you want them tasting contributing to victory and developing a psychological advantage. I want Vassell, Collins and Branham to go home after a game like that feeling like winners. They played well enough to beat a good team. The coaching staff failed them.

It's not the end of the world, but it's weird to be so cavalier about losses like this, especially when it's another example of an ongoing pattern that should give you concerns about the (hopefully near) future when wins are going to matter more.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have more talent than people realize or give them credit for. My goodness, you all are about to be dominating the west all over again very soon lmao sheesh
    Nah you guys just really play down to your compe ion's level when a team comes to town. This team has like a 127 defensive rating in games Wemby doesn't play and mostly needs to be purged and replaced with real talent around Victor in the next three years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You shouldn’t be measuring this Spurs team against the Kings. They play absolutely NO defense at all. Like never.

No idea how the Kings fix that roster. Sabonis cannot anchor that defense and be successful. I don’t believe it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy to say Spurs need better players. …

It’s easy to be in a fantasy world, like you are.

That’s Lakers mentality …

It’s “Laker’s mentality” to say that a team needs better players, you claim. There is a defect in your mentality.

… also important building the core through developing players.

You are absolutely certain that it’s more important for the Spurs to develop Blake Wesley than to develop Wemby. Is that your story and you’re sticking to it? Is that how the situation stands in your fantasy world?

State your priorities. Do you have the courage to do so?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's mostly only this board that's blind, thankfully. The NBA in general rightly recognizes that the Spurs are not far off from being a real problem of a team.

Hopefully Kings and Spurs can meet in the PO's before long, they're always good games to watch since the "Fox era".
    The whole NBA say we're terrible. Litterally every fanbase I read or pundit I listen to. And one 'good loss" changes nothing to that.

You guys are the ones overracting after one "good loss", like you were trying to convince yourself these guys will be nothing but role players (at best) in this league... Record don't lie, spurs are 13-50 this year after going 22-60 last season...this roster as such is not even play in bound in any season and none of these guys will start in a spurs contending team, most of them not even on the roster. But let's keep developing them for another 3 years.

Some of you need to get real, no fans from any other team is raving or envious about Malaki Branham, Blake Wesley or Jeremy Sochan...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole NBA say we're terrible. Litterally every fanbase I read or pundit I listen to. And one 'good loss" changes nothing to that.

You guys are the ones overracting after one "good loss", like you were trying to convince yourself these guys will be nothing but role players (at best) in this league... Record don't lie, spurs are 13-50 this year after going 22-60 last season...this roster as such is not even play in bound in any season and none of thse guys will start in a spurs contending team, most of them not even on the roster.

Some of you need to get real, no fans from any other team is raving or envious about Malaki Branham, Blake Wesley or Jeremy Sochan...
    Thank you for telling us ho other team's fans feel. I can understand why you might feel you have the inside scoop.

Good thing what other teams fans think is irrelevant. In the real world, those three players showed they could compete and be difference makers in high pressure situations at 20 years old. They are developing nicely along with several other players on the roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I turned in mid-4th and was proud how the Spurs competed. keldon and Vassell both showing up on the same night was huge. The pair of 20 year olds balling out and Collins snapping out of his funk were all nice. Sochans late block on Fox was goose bump level. Then we totally choke at the end after having the Kings beat, winning us more lottery balls, great stuff!

The main thing I saw other than the team needing more experience to execute down the stretch, was the matchups and adding strategic roster pieces are key. For example, the Kings got too many second chances down the stretch. A better rebounding big may help there. Someone to “erase” Fox is big, such as on the Sochan block so to some degree he can be that guy against troublesome opposing scorers and/or ball handlers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s easy to be in a fantasy world, like you are.

It’s “Laker’s mentality” to say that a team needs better players, you claim. There is a defect in your mentality.

You are absolutely certain that it’s more important for the Spurs to develop Blake Wesley than to develop Wemby. Is that your story and you’re sticking to it? Is that how the situation stands in your fantasy world?

State your priorities. Do you have the courage to do so?
    Why not Wesley? How do you know he’s not another Danny Green or Bruce Bowen?

Or what fantasy world the Spurs can afford 200 mil salary like the Lakers or Dubs. Unless they develop their draft picks, G-Leaguers, reclamation projects. Too easy to say surround Wemby with talent.
    Last edited by John B; 03-08-2024 at 05:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm actually surprised this game went to the wire with Wemby out, which is a good job by the other scrubs on this roster against a playoff team. I'm glad Pop is taking full accountability for not calling a time out at the end. Starts at 0:50 min

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Experience , patience, development and continuity/chemistry has always been our super powers! We’re progressing it’s just not resulting in wins yet Blake and Branham have value in different ways.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Thank you for telling us ho other team's fans feel. I can understand why you might feel you have the inside scoop.

Good thing what other teams fans think is irrelevant. In the real world, those three players showed they could compete and be difference makers in high pressure situations at 20 years old. They are developing nicely along with several other players on the roster.
    Compete in a high pressure situation, like turning the ball over to lose the game there at the end? While I agree individually and somewhat as a team they are ok bench talent for some teams that have strong starters, they are not strong starters or even mediocre starters for a team that doesn't have a bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Compete in a high pressure situation, like turning the ball over to lose the game there at the end? While I agree individually and somewhat as a team they are ok bench talent for some teams that have strong starters, they are not strong starters or even mediocre starters for a team that doesn't have a bench.
    Yeah they the bed at the end but the way in the 4th the second unit brought the team back to take the lead. They fought tooth and nail those last 6 minutes. Focusing on 1 play is just recency and emotional bias.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm actually surprised this game went to the wire with Wemby out
    Could be the other team playing down to our level , entering this game knowing Wemby was out
    If we play the Kings again in 2 days without Wemby, they will torch us

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A better result would be to win the game and all of those bullets still apply. It's like you all think the players sit around and talk about record placement and protected picks.
    The third bullet wouldn't apply if the Spurs had won. Yes they would still be in the bottom 3 but they would have been in more danger of passing the Hornets and maybe the Blazers later on.

They played well enough to beat a good team. The coaching staff failed them.
    I truly don't understand the whole coaches versus players thing here. It's like Tony versus Manu. The whole team lost: the players and the coaches. Trying to protect the players by ting on the coaching staff makes no sense.

And even granting that the coaches made more mistakes than the players last night, the players have played basketball for a long time. They know that sometimes they play well enough to win but lose, and sometimes they play badly enough to lose but win.

It's not the end of the world, but it's weird to be so cavalier about losses like this, especially when it's another example of an ongoing pattern that should give you concerns about the (hopefully near) future when wins are going to matter more.
    The players aren't that stupid. They know that at this point in the season, given where their record is, losing is better than winning. If they are psychologically weak enough to be devastated after a close loss, rather than realizing that it was a coinflip game that came down to one possession, they aren't worth keeping on the team going forward anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A very humble Pop. Lol. As if he doesn't know what the reporter is trying to say.
    Pop is pretty famous for stonewalling attempted narratives posed as questions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read. I said the more dominant and stronger Wemby will demand ISO’s. Wemby may be dominant now but still very weak and easily get stripped. Also notice how the ball moves better last night with the ball not stopping at Wemby. There need to be a balance of motion offense and isolation, otherwise it’s the 4 Lakers watching LeBron chucking shots and painfully missing. Wemby is not strong enough yet to mimic the Nuggets offense, maybe in 2-3 years. He’s easily pushed out of position. Wemby will be there, but as of now he’s not. We are not getting a 21 years old NBA strong Timmy who could post and back his defender at day 1. Wemby is different built at 7’4. It’s easy to say, “pass the ball to Wemby.” On mis-matches, when he’s close to the rim, ally-ops yes. Wemby is a great passer, he can find people when they cut hard and his defender(s) will have to worry also about and leaving more room to wiggle. It’s not difficult to understand the Spurs motion offense trying to adapt Wemby’s style. And this season is about just that, “playing together”, finding the best combinations of offense.

I read u properly mate and still strongly disagree and not sure u read me properly tbh ^^

im aware of Wemby’s limitations etc. Not the point

point is there’s a reason then all moves diff when he’s not here, bc the overall level is much lower and none are reliable iso nor any of them draws double team.
    THEY HAVE to move it that way to just stay in the game

it’s just impossible with Victor bc he’s trapped double triple teamed and we don’t have any shooters.

in 2014 we could play that style bc the BBIQ and talent was all over the place.

Anyways I get the reflex u had to think so but it’s correlation isn’t causation type of situation.

The future of Wemby looks closer to what they’re doing with Jokic in Denver bc Victor is a great passer and will attacked like Jokic a lot of attention

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Yeah they the bed at the end but the way in the 4th the second unit brought the team back to take the lead. They fought tooth and nail those last 6 minutes. Focusing on 1 play is just recency and emotional bias.
    You said high pressure situation, but your retort is with a lower pressure situation than the one that ultimately decided the outcome. There's no emotion involved, does there need to be?

I said they played well. I just disagreed with the "high pressure" part. They have won 13 games all season and their star player is out. They were not under a high pressure, except at the end when the PG attempted to pass the ball to a big near the half court with no one back. Even then it was a higher pressure than before, but nothing compared to post season pressure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the team will obviously have to adapt around Victor, but as Victor is still exploring all his options all over the court, I think it's natural that a lot of other players are trying to figure out where they're spot is and how they're going to get the ball etc.
    I totally agree.

it’s not as easy as it seems to connect with Victor on the floor and the lack of BBIQ and skills in the roster makes it even more difficult.
    that’s not a reason for Wemby to “integrate himself” to his teammates’s level. He’s already being handicaped by them ffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said high pressure situation, but your retort is with a lower pressure situation than the one that ultimately decided the outcome. There's no emotion involved, does there need to be?

I said they played well. I just disagreed with the "high pressure" part. They have won 13 games all season and their star player is out. They were not under a high pressure, except at the end when the PG attempted to pass the ball to a big near the half court with no one back. Even then it was a higher pressure than before, but nothing compared to post season pressure.
    You can pretend the last play was the only high pressure situation but on the road coming back from a 10 point 4th quarter deficit and playing in a close and late situation for the majority of that quarter also presented high pressure cir stances throughout.

and this is progression. no one is talking about them being ready for the playoffs. Pop talks about steps for a reason. This team is taking steps.

Thread Information