Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would the Spurs give up two, possibly three, number 1 picks for Murrary, when reportedly the Hawks couldn't get two number 1's for Murrary at the last trade deadline?
    It's really two and I'm not sure the Hawks couldn't get it at the deadline. Maybe they couldn't get "good" one(s) or just knew there was no rush and that the teams interested would both have more to offer (Lakers picks) and be more likely to offer it after their season ended in disappointment.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now this is fascinating

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No shade was intended to be directed towards you (unless you are Eric Zhang). Just explaining why I wouldn't put much stock in it.

But if he turns out to be right... well, then he deserves a lot more followers.

Also, thank you for your service in getting booted off Twitter. more people should tell Abbott to go himself.

There were some other tweets that have been since deleted that outlined both the ATL picks and pick swap going back to ATL plus this years 1st round pick with 4 or 8 going to ATL for Young and 1st , if I remember correctly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's Garland's value? What do you give up?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now this is fascinating
    There was a rumor I saw somewhere that Donovan Mitc didn’t want to re-sign with the Cavs. If this is true (Garland not wanting to be on the same team), maybe it precipitates a Mitc trade request. If possible, I’d much rather have Donovan than Trae Young or Murray.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This writer thinks Donovan’s done in Cleveland.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...bably-done-too

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big NO on Garland

Just a worse Trae Young but on the same big salary

Same undersized 6-1, high turnover player but without the elite lob passing or occasional huge playoff outburst.

Same drawbacks as Trae with none of the supposed positives

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's Garland's value? What do you give up?
    You have to think it’s at its lowest right now:

— Poor end to the season after jaw injury
    — big money
    — if it’s a Mitc condition to staying, no incentive for teams to give big offer

Bottom line: great opportunity for Spurs to buy a distressed asset at below value

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big NO on Garland

Just a worse Trae Young but on the same big salary

Same undersized 6-1, high turnover player but without the elite lob passing or occasional huge playoff outburst.

Same drawbacks as Trae with none of the supposed positives
    Trae and Garland couldn’t be more different.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I think he’s gone too, which is why I don’t think the Garland thing is viable.

While I don’t think the Knicks makes any sense, I bet the Lakers, Heat or the Nets would be highly interested

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt they'd be interested in any of our players.
    Keldon is already too old for a fresh rebuild, Branham and Wesley are worthless and they've got Ausar so I don't think they'd be interested in Jeremy, another non-shooting forward.
    Unless there's a third team involved for Keldon, they'd want picks. And I'd rather ship Collins and trade Keldon ourselves than have Collins on the roster.

I'd say Chicago '25, Hornets '25 (this one won't convey, so whatever), #4 Spurs '24 and two more down the road.
    Probably one Spurs/Hawks '25 and one Spurs/Hawks '27. Maybe some more SRPs if they're into that.

Fake Hornets FRP is for them to take Collins, then three good FRPs and a risky Chicago one.
    And Spurs would still have at least one pick every year.

Seems like a lot, but he's a point guard who hasn't even turned 23 yet and already averaged 7.5 assists on a horrible team. 23ppg on 45/36/87 splits.
    He improved his shooting a lot and he can be a positive defender in the right system. Not good enough to be point of attack, but good enough to not ever get hunted and to have good team defense.
    That’s more than Phoenix sent out for KD.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s more than Phoenix sent out for KD.
    Chicago is top10 protected.
    Hornets most likely won't convey and it's a compensation for taking Collins.
    #4 Spurs is a great pick in a bad draft.
    And then two more down the road would also be good picks, but not in top10 unless Hawks crumble.

We're talking about a 23 year old all-star level, 6'6 point guard. He's easily the best point guard target for us in the entire league if we talk playstyle and positional fit.
    Assuming Luka and SGA never become available, that is.

KD was 34 at the time of the trade, cost 4 FRPs, 3 more swaps and two good players.
    Bridges was easily worth 3 FRPs at the time and Cam Johnson was probably also worth a solid first rounder.
    Nets rejected 4 FRPs for Bridges from Memphis before the season started. Should've taken it, but still.
    And they'll get 2 FRPs and a good player for him this summer, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair (because I'm seeing the shade RC_Drunkford, scott, et al), a friend copied me on the post knowing I was a Spursfan. Jesus this board is not for the meek.

I've no idea how many followers he has. I got booted off Xitter a couple years ago for telling Greg Abbott to go himself. All my buddy told me was some NBA guy that predicted the Dejounte trade before Woj and Shams said a big trade was going to go down. BTW, if it goes down I'll make sure to return the shade.
    No shade was intended to be directed towards you (unless you are Eric Zhang). Just explaining why I wouldn't put much stock in it.

But if he turns out to be right... well, then he deserves a lot more followers.

Also, thank you for your service in getting booted off Twitter. more people should tell Abbott to go himself.
    I got one of those political texts saying Abbott was going to be in my town fundraising for some candidate, and I responded “Oh, is Greg taking a break from drowning immigrants in the Rio Grande?”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Darius Garland personally, but with the way he played in these playoffs you can’t give up what it would take to get him unless Cavs sell cheap

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, now the scuttlebutt is that Mitc with resign?

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/549...rstaff-future/

Probably told CLE:

1. Fire coach
    2. Move Garland

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Darius Garland personally, but with the way he played in these playoffs you can’t give up what it would take to get him unless Cavs sell cheap
    I think that’s the point, Mitc has torpedoes Garlands value. This is the lowest it will be.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think my Garland offer tops out at:

Keldon, Malaki, #8, and CHA pick

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I think he’s gone too, which is why I don’t think the Garland thing is viable.

While I don’t think the Knicks makes any sense, I bet the Lakers, Heat or the Nets would be highly interested
    I'm reading in several places that Mitc is leaning towards re-signing in neighborhood of 200mil. Also, looks like if that happens, Garland wants out.
    https://x.com/ClutchPoints/status/1791092141059662010

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm reading in several places that Mitc is leaning towards re-signing in neighborhood of 200mil. Also, looks like if that happens, Garland wants out.
    https://x.com/ClutchPoints/status/1791092141059662010
    Yeah, I think it’d be silly for spurs not to kick the tires on that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago is top10 protected.
    Hornets most likely won't convey and it's a compensation for taking Collins.
    #4 Spurs is a great pick in a bad draft.
    And then two more down the road would also be good picks, but not in top10 unless Hawks crumble.

We're talking about a 23 year old all-star level, 6'6 point guard. He's easily the best point guard target for us in the entire league if we talk playstyle and positional fit.
    Assuming Luka and SGA never become available, that is.

KD was 34 at the time of the trade, cost 4 FRPs, 3 more swaps and two good players.
    Bridges was easily worth 3 FRPs at the time and Cam Johnson was probably also worth a solid first rounder.
    Nets rejected 4 FRPs for Bridges from Memphis before the season started. Should've taken it, but still.
    And they'll get 2 FRPs and a good player for him this summer, imo.
    I like Cade, but not sure about his defensive mindset esp being in Detroit for so long. I think a more realistic option to go after might be Ayo from CHI who was compared to Jrue Holiday when he finally got minutes. Wouldn't cost as much as Cade but it depends on what CHI is going to do in their efforts to stay mid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Mitc but I don’t know if he’ll play Robin to 20 yrs old Wemby. I don’t want issues who’s the face of the franchise, and that’s Wemby.

I think they need a veteran PG who will steady the boat much like Jrue Holiday or Mike Conley, and let the young players thrive and not steal minutes from them. Don’t get me wrong, Mitc is a stud, but does he come here feeling he’s the number 1 option?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Mitc but I don’t know if he’ll play Robin to 20 yrs old Wemby. I don’t want issues who’s the face of the franchise, and that’s Wemby
    Career high assists.
    Even tho his role was to be the #1 scorer on Cavs, the games i have seen he has had no problem sharing the rock. Including this years playoff wins.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garland is intriguing. If the Cavs don't demand a huge return he could be worth it. A career 38.4% 3 point shooter on good volume who doesn't insist on being the #1 option is just what the doctor ordered on offense. But if not being the #1 wasn't so bad why would he want out? His turnover rate is horrible and his pass creation quality doesn't come close to Young's.

It would be a big commitment. Garland is due $36.7/39.4/42.1/44.9M over the next 4 years. That's 26% of next year's cap, probably declining slightly as a % as the cap rises. The good news is that only one of those years would overlap with Wemby's rookie extension. Given Vassell's extension too, it would mostly define the Spurs salary situation for the next 4 years: they would operate over the cap and would either have to make moves to avoid the tax or be willing to pay it, depending on what the ownership wants.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garland is intriguing. If the Cavs don't demand a huge return he could be worth it. A career 38.4% 3 point shooter on good volume who doesn't insist on being the #1 option is just what the doctor ordered on offense. But if not being the #1 wasn't so bad why would he want out? His turnover rate is horrible and his pass creation quality doesn't come close to Young's.

It would be a big commitment. Garland is due $36.7/39.4/42.1/44.9M over the next 4 years. That's 26% of next year's cap, probably declining slightly as a % as the cap rises. The good news is that only one of those years would overlap with Wemby's rookie extension. Given Vassell's extension too, it would mostly define the Spurs salary situation for the next 4 years: they would operate over the cap and would either have to make moves to avoid the tax or be willing to pay it, depending on what the ownership wants.
    My sentiments exactly. What has my interest peeked is that key factors are conspiring together right now to depress Garland’s value:

- As a condition to Mitc reupping it sounds like his camp will want Garland gone. This is bad for CLE’s leverage.

- Garland had a down year after his jaw injury

- the spurs don’t need Garland: they have PG options between the draft, CLE situation, the ATL situation, and potentially DET’s Cade/Ivey dynamic

- the spurs have the assets to bully other potential rivals who may be interested, including two picks in THIS draft.

- the money isn’t excellent, but it comes before Vic’s big momey at least. It would also likely mean Kelton’s long term money goes out so that helps.

As I noted above, my best offer tops out at Keldon, Malaki, 8, and CHA pick.

Thread Information