Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting that you see Castle as a wing, rather than a PG. This is how I see him and it’s precisely why his value drops for me. If they believe his shot can be fixed … we’ve said this so many times I can’t be bothered anymore.

I hate this draft and hope they trade at least one of the picks but then the value and offers might not be there.

In this specific scenario I’d go Sheppard at 4 and Cody Williams or Holland at 8.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs go Castle at 4 and they're ed if anyone takes Dillingham just on talent, as someone is surely taking Sheppard. Ugh if the Spurs draft ends up being Castle and Topic and Victor still has no one who can hit a jump shot other than Vassell around him. I don't like seeing the Spurs try to outsmart themselves. Take Dilly 4 and then the remaining wing with the most upside at 8 if the first 3 picks play out like this. Yes I'd rather have Castle than Holland, Williams, or Salaun, but this is a dangerous game thinking everyone 5-7 is going to pick by positional need.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:35 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting that you see Castle as a wing, rather than a PG. This is how I see him and it’s precisely why his value drops for me. If they believe his shot can be fixed … we’ve said this so many times I can’t be bothered anymore.

I hate this draft and hope they trade at least one of the picks but then the value and offers might not be there.

In this specific scenario I’d go Sheppard at 4 and Cody Williams or Holland at 8.
    I think going pg at 4 is the way to go rather than risk them not being there at 8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs go Castle at 4 and they're ed if anyone takes Dillingham just on talent, as someone is surely taking Sheppard. Ugh if the Spurs draft ends up being Castle and Topic and Victor still has no one who can hit a jump shot other than Vassell around him. I don't like seeing the Spurs try to outsmart themselves. Take Dilly 4 and then the remaining wing with the most upside at 8 if the first 3 picks play out like this. Yes I'd rather have Castle than Holland or Williams but this is a dangerous game thinking everyone 5-7 is going to pick by positional need.
    100%

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with baseline, don’t draft by thinking a targeted player will be there at 8.I also Guess the spurs will take a guard at four and a foWard at 8. But we talk about shooting, i agree we need that badly but we also need Defense. That’s Why I’m not a dilly guy at four. Plenty of options.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fine with the general strategy of wing first, as I think 5-6-7 is unlikely to go on ball PG (off ball / mixed options like Reed and Castle are more possible).

I could easily see Holland going in one of the 6 /7 slots. Charlotte if Castle is gone (I think Castle makes a lot of sense in Charlotte, secondary / tertiary playmaker who can defend anyone from 1-3, and might be #1 on a Charlotte board), and Holland's past pedigree as a High school and youth make sense for Portland and their past focus (upside swings on athletes, being OK with no play at College if the high school tape is good enough).

Question: You had Cody higher on your first big board, and went Castle here. Is this a change in your view / what you're hearing informed from the combine, or just running through a scenario?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The good thing about Castle is that he can improve our defence on the bigger guards such as Luka and SGA....we will need this if we get OKC or Dallas in the playoffs in a few years time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Actually,having more upside ‘outs’ for development is a good thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a highly disappointing draft. Hopefully it changes in the next few weeks..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle/Dillingham is my best outcome. In fact, the only outcome I really like. Probably can sub in Reed if I had to.

I'm not sure about Clingan at two. I don't think Washington gets a Jakob Poeltl type that high and their fanbase doesn't either. They seem to expect Topic or Castle.

I think there's real risk for Washington, Houston, Detroit, or even Charlotte taking Dillingham. If you spread out all the players and ignore mocks, just genuinely look at what you have, I think Sarr, Reed, and Dillingham will be around top three on some of these boards.

That said, it's very uncertain. It's more likely two and three go like Topic, Reed or Risacher. But I'm with those who say don't leave the rest to chance. Take Rob at four. If you at scared Castle is gone before eight, look into the type of trade the Pacers made last year and throw some seconds at Charlotte to see if they'll move.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a feeling Castle ends up going 2 to Washington. He can fit decently well with Poole as a guy who can guard shooting guards while he and Poole toggle between PG and SG on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, right now I expect Holland to go top eight, even top three. I think he'll gain buzz as the draft process goes on.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think going pg at 4 is the way to go rather than risk them not being there at 8
    No way

Charlotte Portland and Detroit arn't all going pgs.

Spurs will have Topic, Dillingham and Sheppard still on the board at 4 so at least one or two of those three will still be there at 8.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle/Dillingham is my best outcome. In fact, the only outcome I really like. Probably can sub in Reed if I had to.

I'm not sure about Clingan at two. I don't think Washington gets a Jakob Poeltl type that high and their fanbase doesn't either. They seem to expect Topic or Castle.

I think there's real risk for Washington, Houston, Detroit, or even Charlotte taking Dillingham. If you spread out all the players and ignore mocks, just genuinely look at what you have, I think Sarr, Reed, and Dillingham will be around top three on some of these boards.

That said, it's very uncertain. It's more likely two and three go like Topic, Reed or Risacher. But I'm with those who say don't leave the rest to chance. Take Rob at four. If you at scared Castle is gone before eight, look into the type of trade the Pacers made last year and throw some seconds at Charlotte to see if they'll move.
    If you want Castle then you have to take him at 4. There is real possibility he's drafted by Wash at two.

I like Timvp's scenario to grab Castle(combo guard) at 4 as there will still be a pg at 8. Trade for a couple of shooters to shore up shooting but in this draft address perimeter defense combo guard(Castle) and playmaking (Topic) or go Dillingham/Sheppard at 8.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drafting him means they believe in his jumper improving. He fits the pattern with Devin and Sochan being high level college role player types with creation upside. I think it is the same thinking with Sidy, you have a complete wing if you develop his shot and you can have 4-5 of those in your playoff rotation if they have positional size. I can see Castle thriving in our system, but maybe a journey man if he is picked by some other team with traditional offenses. He is not a plug and play guy. One thing he address is the secondary POA defender on dual initiator teams, if he hits and Sochan somehow strokes it then you have you have already built your top 3 defense that can matchup with any team in the playoff assuming you don't bring in a major weak link.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't be afraid. There will be a pg at 8 for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he Pacers sent Coulibaly to Washington in exchange for Walker, whom the Wizards took a pick later at No. 8. The Pacers received Washington's 2028 second-round draft pick and the Phoenix Suns' second-round pick in the same draft that the Wizards previously acquired via trade.

Last year the Wizards moved up a slot with just two SRPs. Every situation is different, but the market may not be expensive.

Castle regards himself as a point, btw, according to recent interviews. In the Spurs system it doesn't matter a ton. I think he'd get a lot of reps in ball handling situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drafting him means they believe in his jumper improving. He fits the pattern with Devin and Sochan being high level college role player types with creation upside. I think it is the same thinking with Sidy, you have a complete wing if you develop his shot and you can have 4-5 of those in your playoff rotation if they have positional size. I can see Castle thriving in our system, but maybe a journey man if he is picked by some other team with traditional offenses. He is not a plug and play guy. One thing he address is the secondary POA defender on dual initiator teams, if he hits and Sochan somehow strokes it then you have you have already built your top 3 defense that can matchup with any team in the playoff assuming you don't bring in a major weak link.
    One thing, I do think you can plug Castle in. He's going to pick up the schemes very well and his defense is going to translate. He can foul a bit and needs fine tuning, but he can be rotation right away.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp
    Portland will go Holland at 7

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something to keep in mind: These point guards are all very different. It’s not as simple as whatever PG falls to 8 will be a player the Spurs love. Surely they have strong opinions about upside, fit, etc. I doubt all of them are in the same tier for them.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something to keep in mind: These point guards are all very different. It’s not as simple as whatever PG falls to 8 will be a player the Spurs love. Surely they have strong opinions about upside, fit, etc. I doubt all of them are in the same tier for them.
    Of course they are different and maybe different tier levels but each of the pgs will bring a needed skill to the Spurs so can't go wrong with any of them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course they are different and maybe different tier levels but each of the pgs will bring a needed skill to the Spurs so can't go wrong with any of them.
    Sure, but as you said if they’re in different tiers, we shouldn’t wait and let whomever falls and be happy. Make a small trade up and ensure you get the guy you want (if there is a tier gap).

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but as you said if they’re in different tiers, we shouldn’t wait and let whomever falls and be happy. Make a small trade up and ensure you get the guy you want (if there is a tier gap).
    Can't count on trade ups. Spurs never pull that off on draft day.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am lukewarm on Dilly, atleast he is not a 5 pick 60 million commitment. But the West is big, there is a high chance he is not playable in series like DAL or DEN who can hunt your weak link relentlessly. In the east sure, there is some smallish guard out there they can't bench. You invest a lot of resources on someone like that just to lose all that value on a bad matchup.

Thread Information