Page 150 of 151 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151 LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 3768
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing KobesAchilles said is wrong.

This org failed him this year with a crap squad around him. It was clear to everyone ten games in that Sochan was little more than a monkey humping a football trying to play PG.

And yeah, Pop did him no favors either. We have one or two more seasons to build a squad around Wemby and show a commitment to the process and him before he says enough of this crap, regardless of whatever he posts on Instagram this week.

Pop, Wright, and R.C. are on the clock. It's been damn near a decade since they delivered. And that's scary.
    How many franchises win a le every decade?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Post Count
    Spurs have won a le in each of the past three decades

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently not good enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the archetype of Wemby is the one and only RAMON EL PRESIDENTE FERNANDEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

------------------------------------------------------------------

pound for pound , the most elegant player in the history of basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So that excuses failure to develop the team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So that excuses failure to develop the team?
    How did you come up with that? I’m seriously intrigued by that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did you come up with that? I’m seriously intrigued by that.
    Perhaps you need to explain, "How many franchises win a le every decade?", as a response to criticizing the franchise. Maybe we misunderstood, because on the surface, that response sounds like you're excusing the franchise because they won in the past.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps you need to explain, "How many franchises win a le every decade?", as a response to criticizing the franchise. Maybe we misunderstood, because on the surface, that response sounds like you're excusing the franchise because they won in the past.
    Responded directly to this:

“Pop, Wright, and R.C. are on the clock. It's been damn near a decade since they delivered. And that's scary.”

I have no idea what the expectations are for the spurs. Making panic decisions generally leads to disasters. Saying we have to move now and load up because certain players are available isn’t good decision making. It’s not running a franchise, it’s fan peddling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

“Pop, Wright, and R.C. are on the clock. It's been damn near a decade since they delivered. And that's scary.”

I have no idea what the expectations are for the spurs. Making panic decisions generally leads to disasters. Saying we have to move now and load up because certain players are available isn’t good decision making. It’s not running a franchise, it’s fan peddling.
    I missed that somehow, which makes your response make more sense.

I disagree with the statement to which you responded. The Spurs had drafted and developed a first-ballot hall of famer who suddenly stopped showing up and held the entire franchise hostage.

That would wreck many franchises for decades. The Spurs did the best they could and managed to get some value for him. That value just increased with the extra lottery pick this year. Furthermore, I think they have done an extraordinary job of drafting; anyone looking at the Spurs' draft record prior to DJM would likely agree. There was really only one inexplicable pick in there, IMO.

Where the team has failed is in player and team development, where Pop seems to have the most useless crew of turds as his assistants. I used to think Will Hardy was pretty useless, and he feels like John Wooden now compared to these clowns.

The defense has been awful, the lineup decisions embarrassing, no accountability for missed rotations, lapses, failure to ing pass to Victor. It took far too long to figure out that Zollins isn't a starter, and Barlow has gotten the Tiago treatment when he should be getting minutes. Honestly, the Sochan-at-point thing was not a bad idea, it was walls built without a foundation. It was destined to fail because the team had no iden y and no leadership.

The expectations for the team should focus on developing a core with a mission and a purpose, and they need good coaches to help with that. Pop is too entrenched to remove, so we are stuck with hoping that he brings in someone who can organize this dumpster fire before Victor decides to leave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I missed that somehow, which makes your response make more sense.

I disagree with the statement to which you responded. The Spurs had drafted and developed a first-ballot hall of famer who suddenly stopped showing up and held the entire franchise hostage.

That would wreck many franchises for decades. The Spurs did the best they could and managed to get some value for him. That value just increased with the extra lottery pick this year. Furthermore, I think they have done an extraordinary job of drafting; anyone looking at the Spurs' draft record prior to DJM would likely agree. There was really only one inexplicable pick in there, IMO.

Where the team has failed is in player and team development, where Pop seems to have the most useless crew of turds as his assistants. I used to think Will Hardy was pretty useless, and he feels like John Wooden now compared to these clowns.

The defense has been awful, the lineup decisions embarrassing, no accountability for missed rotations, lapses, failure to ing pass to Victor. It took far too long to figure out that Zollins isn't a starter, and Barlow has gotten the Tiago treatment when he should be getting minutes. Honestly, the Sochan-at-point thing was not a bad idea, it was walls built without a foundation. It was destined to fail because the team had no iden y and no leadership.

The expectations for the team should focus on developing a core with a mission and a purpose, and they need good coaches to help with that. Pop is too entrenched to remove, so we are stuck with hoping that he brings in someone who can organize this dumpster fire before Victor decides to leave.
    Amen.

I wouldn’t mind getting some veteran leadership. The coaching and player deployment had traditionally been some of the greatest strengths of the franchise, but the last few years have been a rather big disappointment. The defences the last few years were simply head scratching and the offences were from a decade ago. The spurs are in the position to reset, which is why we should focus on a solid defined path and not deviate from it unless an incredible opportunity shows up (doncic or Edwards demand a trade type thing). Reacting to every Trae young and Darius garland isn’t worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amen.

I wouldn’t mind getting some veteran leadership. The coaching and player deployment had traditionally been some of the greatest strengths of the franchise, but the last few years have been a rather big disappointment. The defences the last few years were simply head scratching and the offences were from a decade ago. The spurs are in the position to reset, which is why we should focus on a solid defined path and not deviate from it unless an incredible opportunity shows up (doncic or Edwards demand a trade type thing). Reacting to every Trae young and Darius garland isn’t worth it.
    There was an iteration of the Spurs that tried to develop their young core, and they were upset in the playoffs every year of their existence. Timmy deserves a lot of credit for making the team great but they brought in guys like Smitty, Jerome Kersey, Kevin Willis, Mario Elie, Steve Kerr, Danny Ferry*, who really taught that core how to be champions.

* I know I'm forgetting a ton of guys.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, that totally makes it okay to waste a transcendental talent like Wemby who likely won't have a significantly long career.

Good call, what was I thinking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, that totally makes it okay to waste a transcendental talent like Wemby who likely won't have a significantly long career.

Good call, what was I thinking?
    Getting Trae young to appease some knee jerk fans so that we can get to the second round as the ceiling for Wembys next 4 years, ending up with 25th picks along the way while not developing any young players and not being able to sign anybody because of his $42m contract certainly isn’t it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How many consecutive years of lottery finishes does Pop and RC's history buy them? This is a serious question. They are on the clock, IMO, not because they haven't won a le in 10 years, but because we've only gotten worse over the last 7. Yes, the Kawhi situation is to blame for part of that and I agree that context needs to be considered. However, unless it is quite clear we are tanking again this coming year (which would be a decision we should also have questions about), then we need to see some improvement.

This isn't to say Pop and RC aren't legends, because they absolutely are. But everyone has an expiration date. I fear that Pop has passed his.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many consecutive years of lottery finishes does Pop and RC's history buy them? This is a serious question. They are on the clock, IMO, not because they haven't won a le in 10 years, but because we've only gotten worse over the last 7. Yes, the Kawhi situation is to blame for part of that and I agree that context needs to be considered. However, unless it is quite clear we are tanking again this coming year (which would be a decision we should also have questions about), then we need to see some improvement.

This isn't to say Pop and RC aren't legends, because they absolutely are. But everyone has an expiration date. I fear that Pop has passed his.
    Overall I had been pretty upset with primo as a pick, the defence and offence (overall lack of direction last year), hanging on to DDR and LMA way too long. But other than those I’m actually ok eight the decisions made the last ten years or so. I would say another year of the defensive and offensive schemes like last year will snap me. I hope there is a longer term plan, but I’m just flummoxed last year. I’m not sure what was going on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overall I had been pretty upset with primo as a pick, the defence and offence (overall lack of direction last year), hanging on to DDR and LMA way too long. But other than those I’m actually ok eight the decisions made the last ten years or so. I would say another year of the defensive and offensive schemes like last year will snap me. I hope there is a longer term plan, but I’m just flummoxed last year. I’m not sure what was going on.
    Primo pick aside, I think we've been an average drafting team in the from 2018 on. That in and of itself is okay if offset by strength in other areas (since that strength appears to have regressed), but unfortunately I don't see what those strengths are. Our development seems to have taken a step back, in addition to the schemes (as you point out). Organizationally, it's not clear to me what we are good at aside from having GOAT-level luck, continuing our undefeated streak of winning the lotto in time to draft a generational big man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It took the Timberwolves 9 years with KAT (and adding multiple #1 pick players) before they won, but the Spurs are supposed magically get all-star after drafting top 10 twice in the last five years.

If Wemby is as impatient and short-sighted as people on this message board (and on X), then his time in San Antonio will be short.

I'm guess the truck loads of money and available 1st round picks the team can either use to add more, or acquire another all-star extend the timetable.

People are so worried about being snake bitten again like with Nephew, they seem to forget how long (4 years rookie deal plus possible extension after) Wembanyama will likely be in San Antonio (before asking out).

And the team is definitely 'on the clock,' but I don't want them blowing possible lucrative future assets to only get marginally better or handicapping their ceiling.

Build through the draft (a PG, swingman and upperclassmen in the second round, please), add some quality veterans - with hopefully good leadership skills - to help bring along this far too young roster.

The defense actually improved once Sochan and Wembanyama played their natural positions, so stick with that and add a better starting 3-and-D win to supplant Champagnie.

The 'struggling to find Wemby' narrative was mostly an early season problem (Sochan ain't a PG and players were unfamiliar with where to get Wemby the ball) since Wemby's usage percentage (32.2%) was skyhigh for a rookie by season's end.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 1 Week Ago at 11:59 PM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Wemby is as impatient and short-sighted as people on this message board (and on X), then his time in San Antonio will be short.
    Agreed. All of the "we better put a good team around Wemby now so he doesn't bolt!" hand-wringing is some combination of extreme pessimism, Stockholm syndrome, and desperate attempts at a hot take. If Wemby really has that kind of at ude he already has one foot out the door.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. All of the "we better put a good team around Wemby now so he doesn't bolt!" hand-wringing is some combination of extreme pessimism, Stockholm syndrome, and desperate attempts at a hot take. If Wemby really has that kind of at ude he already has one foot out the door.
    Agreed. There is no point of worrying if Victor will leave. Spurs fans need to just enjoy him while he's here.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They also haven't cracked 35 wins in 5 seasons, which is alot more relevant than anything they did 2014 and before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ehh the Spurs were in prime position to win another le in 2017 if it weren't for Pachulia. And then the Kawhi thing happened. It's fair to be critical but I wouldn't say the Spurs FO hasn't done anything since 2014. They also delayed the tank to Wembanyama's draft which paid off.

Thread Information