Page 31 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This will make it 6 champions in 6 years for the first time since '75-'80.

The biggest mistake the Spurs can make is thinking they have to build their team to beat any specific team, especially one with an old (Conley) key player, an aging (Gobert) key player and likely to lose a key piece (Reid) due to finances.

Exactly. This team reminds me of the Bryant-Gasol era Lakers, who won mostly on the strength of their men against bigs (the Timberwolves are more about defense and depth in general, but still), but the league/media wanted to push their lazy Bryant agenda/narrative instead of telling the truth.

The first three moved to put a compe ive team in place immediately. Granted, they had current or projected All-Stars in Booker, Ingram and Towns, but still.

The Timberwolves, in particular, had a 20 year old Edwards, who was nowhere near the player Wembanyama is and gave up an insane amount for Gobert in essentially a bet that the former would get close enough to his prime before the latter exited his and they could open up a window to contend.

Agreed it's a similar set up to the Kobe-Gasol lakers with their three bigs in Gobert, KAT, Reid but like you said defensively they are different than those Laker teams. I do find it annoying how the league is desperately trying to make Edwards the face of the league when I don't think he's truly the best in the league yet and is not even close to it. That alone is why I have to root for the wolves failure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate both of these teams, and the Celtics too! Go Pacers!
    Good luck man

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never really thought of the Lakers comparison with this Wolves team but I agree there are some similarities. Prime Gasol was much better than Towns but still Towns spaces the floor a bit better.

The 6-24 game 7 performance from Edward’s helps bring the similarities a bit closer 😂.

Bynum - Gobert
    Gasol - KAT
    McDaniels - Artest
    Edwards - Kobe
    Conley - Fisher
    Naz Reid - Odom

Overwhelming teams with their size and rebounding. This Wolves team is better defensively but that Lakers team was better on offense with Bynum and Gasol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never really thought of the Lakers comparison with this Wolves team but I agree there are some similarities. Prime Gasol was much better than Towns but still Towns spaces the floor a bit better.

The 6-24 game 7 performance from Edward’s helps bring the similarities a bit closer 😂.

Bynum - Gobert
    Gasol - KAT
    McDaniels - Artest
    Edwards - Kobe
    Conley - Fisher
    Naz Reid - Odom

Overwhelming teams with their size and rebounding. This Wolves team is better defensively but that Lakers team was better on offense with Bynum and Gasol.
    also helps Ant is more likeable than Kirbs

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good luck Dallas. Don't see how they will match Wolves size.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These have been some of the most enjoyable playoffs in a long time. I’m kinda expecting a let down after the darling Knicks and champs lost.

The best narrative left is the rise of Ant. Could you imagine if he wins the Championship and then a Gold medal? He’s gonna be crowned by the league and the next great one.

I love Derrick White, but truly loath everything else about the Celtics. Indiana is incredibly mid, and Dallas is Dallas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cant believe Denver blew that lead at home. They had offensive consistency issues at key moments in this series when they should have been extending leads or at least maintaining their composure. A bit underwhelming in the end.

I hate the Mavs but now it is down to rooting for a Texas team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cant believe Denver blew that lead at home. They had offensive consistency issues at key moments in this series when they should have been extending leads or at least maintaining their composure. A bit underwhelming in the end.

I hate the Mavs but now it is down to rooting for a Texas team.
    Not gonna be able to do it on the Mavs (and Rockets) support, lol.

As Jokic said yesterday, that team was built to beat them. Joker and Murray had great games, but they couldn’t get anything meaningful from the others. When their offense was featuring KCP, I knew they were cooked.

Nuggets are gonna have to have a serious discussion about MPJ, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These have been some of the most enjoyable playoffs in a long time. I’m kinda expecting a let down after the darling Knicks and champs lost.

The best narrative left is the rise of Ant. Could you imagine if he wins the Championship and then a Gold medal? He’s gonna be crowned by the league and the next great one.

I love Derrick White, but truly loath everything else about the Celtics. Indiana is incredibly mid, and Dallas is Dallas.
    Yeah, I don't like any of these things. Anthony Edwards is really great, but he's not the best player in the league yet. I won't be super mad if they win, though, as he seems like an alright guy. I just hate the thought of Towns winning a ring, though, as he the opposite of a real championship player.

I also agree about Derrick. I love the guy, but not really a fan of much else Boston basketball wise. Dallas, don't want winning as I still prefer to hold onto the slight chance Doncic might leave one day. That only leaves Indiana, who I don't think have any chance of winning, but they would be by far my preferred team to win it all. Rick Carlisle, I also think is still a really good coach. I'll definitely go going with Indiana as I like Rick Carlisle, Pascal Siakam and Tyrese Haliburton.

This will make it 6 champions in 6 years for the first time since '75-'80.

The biggest mistake the Spurs can make is thinking they have to build their team to beat any specific team, especially one with an old (Conley) key player, an aging (Gobert) key player and likely to lose a key piece (Reid) due to finances.

Exactly. This team reminds me of the Bryant-Gasol era Lakers, who won mostly on the strength of their men against bigs (the Timberwolves are more about defense and depth in general, but still), but the league/media wanted to push their lazy Bryant agenda/narrative instead of telling the truth.

The first three moved to put a compe ive team in place immediately. Granted, they had current or projected All-Stars in Booker, Ingram and Towns, but still.

The Timberwolves, in particular, had a 20 year old Edwards, who was nowhere near the player Wembanyama is and gave up an insane amount for Gobert in essentially a bet that the former would get close enough to his prime before the latter exited his and they could open up a window to contend.
    So it has already been done (6 different champions in 6 years)? So it won't be the first time?

I agree with what you said, I hope the Spurs don't make a mistake going in a certain direction based on who wins this year. I don't think they would put a lot of weight in how how they build the team based on who wins this year, would they?

The Lakers comparison is a pretty good one. I didn't really think back that far. The Timberwolves are definitely more defensive oriented, though, and that is something I like, but like you said, the media won't look at that aspect of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not gonna be able to do it on the Mavs (and Rockets) support, lol.

As Jokic said yesterday, that team was built to beat them. Joker and Murray had great games, but they couldn’t get anything meaningful from the others. When their offense was featuring KCP, I knew they were cooked.

Nuggets are gonna have to have a serious discussion about MPJ, tbh.
    Yeah, it was an overserving of Murray early on. He just ran out of gas, imho. Long season, long series and a very very physical/tough one at that. Jokic was a monster and they'll come back strong -- I feel Spurs 03-07 vibes out of this club. They'll come back strong next season with a change or two to help counter the TWolves and I'd bet money on them at least making another Finals visit in the next two or three seasons.

Then, it's Wemby time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go Celtics, purely for the fact that 18>12

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The two best guards in the game vs the best guard defenders in the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference in depth between these teams is astonishing, and shows just how much Jokic carries his team. Outside of Nikola, there are three guys with a positive BPM, and one is Porter Jr, who's BPM is +0.1, so he's really more of a net neutral player. Minnesota has 8 players (!) with positive BPMs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be nice if these last 3 series are watchable but I’m not holding my breath.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Mavs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference in depth between these teams is astonishing, and shows just how much Jokic carries his team. Outside of Nikola, there are three guys with a positive BPM, and one is Porter Jr, who's BPM is +0.1, so he's really more of a net neutral player. Minnesota has 8 players (!) with positive BPMs.
    copy pasta?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good luck Dallas. Don't see how they will match Wolves size.
    dallas had a size advantage over OKC and dominated them on the offensive glass. wont have that luxury against minnesota. they'll have to adjust, but Luka seems defense-proof, generally. we'll see

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it was an overserving of Murray early on. He just ran out of gas, imho. Long season, long series and a very very physical/tough one at that. Jokic was a monster and they'll come back strong -- I feel Spurs 03-07 vibes out of this club. They'll come back strong next season with a change or two to help counter the TWolves and I'd bet money on them at least making another Finals visit in the next two or three seasons.

Then, it's Wemby time
    So Denver has no backup for Joker, or rather didn't play him?

Ya Murray and Joker certainly seemed to do enough. Porter, KCP really the bed shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope mavs get swept, can't fathom a scenario where I'd want them to win this series over the Timberwolves.

EFF THE MAVS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't mind Edwards iness, that's basically a given when you're a star player. Not everyone is modest like Duncan and Manu.

If Edwards pulls crap that the generation before him did (Durant, Harden, Kyrie before Dallas, etc.), which is bailing on his own team to go join with other stars, then I would lose all respect for him. I kinda like his emergence right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody but the Mavs and the Cs tbh. Fun playoffs so far tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The T-Wolves played great and I love the way they've assembled a defense first team around a couple of good scoring options, but I still think if Jamal Murray had been 100% for those first two Denver home games, chances are the Nuggets would've won the series. Like Pop has said before, in order to win a championship you have to be very good and very lucky. Denver's depth is so thin that losing the #2 guy is even more devastating than it might be for other teams.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rooting for the Celts, because them winning would piss off the Laker fans cuz of 18>17

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The T-Wolves played great and I love the way they've assembled a defense first team around a couple of good scoring options, but I still think if Jamal Murray had been 100% for those first two Denver home games, chances are the Nuggets would've won the series. Like Pop has said before, in order to win a championship you have to be very good and very lucky. Denver's depth is so thin that losing the #2 guy is even more devastating than it might be for other teams.
    Oh, so now injuries factor into the calculus, but when it's the Warriors and their unprecedented fortune, then it's out of bounds.

Thread Information