Page 319 of 387 FirstFirst ... 219269309315316317318319320321322323329369 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,975 of 9670
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more I think about it, the more I circle around these three: Risacher, Castle, Dillingham. Any 2 of these would give you at least one shooter, and at least one wing/guard (Castle can fall into either category). All three are young (19), have a solid floor and plenty of upside, and fit a need. And it's highly likely you can get 2 of the three where the Spurs will be drafting (4 & 8), but in the rare case all three are gone by 8, then Sheppard would be my 4th candidate.
    that's exactly how my board looks as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll speak up. In college, Sheppard was not a good man-to-man defender. He was consistently blown by on the perimeter and does not navigate screens well. While he does have good leaping ability, and swatted a few three-point attempts, it's widely thought that he gamed the jump portion of the combine by not extending his arms all the way up for his standing reach. Not a big deal either way - he can jump.

What he's really good at are his hands and quick reactions, poking balls, deflections. Very good defense in transition. He freelanced too much in help defense, but this might have been a coaching decision.

His lack of lateral quickness will hurt in the NBA, not to mention his size. I'm generally baffled by his incredible defensive metrics. He did win possessions out of nowhere with steals, but he's not a shut-down defender in any sense.
    How many "shut-down" PGs are in the NBA? If Sheppard can be a good team defender, then that's all he needs to be a solid rotation player for years to come, because that shooting is elite. I'm torn between him and Dilly as my guars choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You listen to people around here and the Spurs had no business winning with an undersized TP even with a generational big man. Heck throw in Avery Johnson and the Spurs have yet to win a championship without an undersized starting PG.

People will say times have changed but Steph Curry has two rings without Durant as the top option despite being a smallish PG. Yes Trae Young is not a Curry level player but he would be the second option behind Wemby.
    The problem is, heliocentric guards can’t be second options. They are lost and ineffective without the ball in their hands. That’s one of the reasons that Trae/DJ didn’t work the way they wanted. It’s not his size,it’s his game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jamal Murray just won ring as a second option. Kyrie won a ring as a second and is competing for a second one. Mike Conley is the starting PG for the Wolves.

The 'you cant win a ring with a undersized PG' is a total and complete myth upon further review.
    I wouldn't put Jamal Murray in there that guy is 6'4 215. He is in the big guard category.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because I'm confident the PATFO's Big Board will have Castle ranked above all those players.
    Yeah, you already said that with other words, tbh. I'm asking you why do you think that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You listen to people around here and the Spurs had no business winning with an undersized TP even with a generational big man. Heck throw in Avery Johnson and the Spurs have yet to win a championship without an undersized starting PG.

People will say times have changed but Steph Curry has two rings without Durant as the top option despite being a smallish PG. Yes Trae Young is not a Curry level player but he would be the second option behind Wemby.
    Why do people keep comparing Curry and Trae, tbh? They play nothing alike. Trae is one of the biggest ball hogs in the league, while Curry is an elite off-ball player. Not to mention Curry is the GOAT shooter while Trae shoots 34% from 3.

Young is a smaller, less talented version of James Harden.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is, heliocentric guards can’t be second options. They are lost and ineffective without the ball in their hands. That’s one of the reasons that Trae/DJ didn’t work the way they wanted. It’s not his size,it’s his game.
    Kyrie is pretty heliocentric. TP was never an off ball maven. CP3 was going to knock out the Durant Warriors with Harden as the top option before breaking his hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many "shut-down" PGs are in the NBA? If Sheppard can be a good team defender, then that's all he needs to be a solid rotation player for years to come, because that shooting is elite. I'm torn between him and Dilly as my guars choice.
    Sheppard is not better than Tre Jones on D. Same height and wingspan. Tre was a 2x ACC All-Defense player and is barely a net neutral on that end. Smart defender that people shoot right over. It's gon be the same with Sheppard. And if you compare his standing reach to other players of his height in the combine, you can see that he clearly didn't fully extend and really doesn't have a 42" vertical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His shooting is elite. Definitely.

The reason I pick Dillingham over Sheppard is that he's a true self-creating shot-maker. Sheppard has some of that, but nowhere close to what Dillingham can do, which is why Calipari had Dillingham run point (usually) and Sheppard play off-ball when they were both in together.

With Sheppard, I think we have a TJ McConnell type. If his shooting translates, that's astounding. He's a true threat. But to me Dillingham's possibilities are on a whole different level. Now, the question is whether he needs that 30% usage to work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people keep comparing Curry and Trae, tbh? They play nothing alike. Trae is one of the biggest ball hogs in the league, while Curry is an elite off-ball player. Not to mention Curry is the GOAT shooter while Trae shoots 34% from 3.

Young is a smaller, less talented version of James Harden.
    YES!

THANK YOU!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheppard is not better than Tre Jones on D. Same height and wingspan. Tre was a 2x ACC All-Defense player and is barely a net neutral on that end. Smart defender that people shoot right over. It's gon be the same with Sheppard. And if you compare his standing reach to other players of his height in the combine, you can see that he clearly didn't fully extend and really doesn't have a 42" vertical.
    I'm OK with Tre's level defense and Sheppard's elite shooting, tbh.

Also, Sheppard is Manu like in terms of defensive playmaking. Tre doesn't have that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm OK with Tre's level defense and Sheppard's elite shooting, tbh.

Also, Sheppard is Manu like in terms of defensive playmaking. Tre doesn't have that.
    Tre gets torched by every good point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre gets torched by every good point guard.
    90% of the PGs in the league do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    90% of the PGs in the league do.
    Let’s get one of the 10% and not settle with our 2 lottery picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, PG is the least important defensive position. If a guy can be a good team defender and work within the defensive scheme-- like Curry or Tony Parker-- it's relatively easy to hide them-- and that situation will be amplified with Wembanyama back there. Mike Conley is undersized and has no problem being part of Minnesota's league leading defense. Best case scenario, I'd love a 6'4"+ PG, but if that's not available, a 6'3" guy with impressive advanced defensive stats is not a dramatic compromise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, you already said that with other words, tbh. I'm asking you why do you think that?
    I think Castle is the better prospect all things considered. He's got the size (6'7 in shoes), length (6'9 wingspan), athleticism, and determination to be a Defensive force for a long time in this league. Think PATFO recognize, as others have pointed out, that we're going to be going up against guys like Ant, SGA, Jamal Murray, etc. for years to come. We need a versatile, POA Defender that we can stick on those guys in those matchups. That player currently isn't on our roster. Castle would give us that.

I also think they see his solid FT% and believe that his 3-ball will come with time, which would not only make him a complete player, but potentially an All-Star caliber one down the line. If he starts hitting his 3-ball at a decent clip, he could be Jimmy Butler-esque for us in 3-4 years. Then there's the idea that he may be able to play PG. I personally don't see a true PG in him, but I'm sure PATFO are intrigued by the idea of it.

I like those other players you mentioned, but they all have serious physical flaws. Dilly and Sheppard are considerably undersized for their positions, and Knecht has limited lateral athleticism which will likely render him a poor defender. I'd still like any of them at 8 personally, but I think PATFO recognize the 2-way potential and high upside that Castle has that the other 3 players simply don't offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s get one of the 10% and not settle with our 2 lottery picks.
    Curry gets torched by good opposing guards, wouldn't you take him if he was available in this draft?

As long as we don't get a complete liability I'm fine. I wouldn't want to draft a guard because he projects as a good defender but then becomes unplayable because he can't shoot for , tbh.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, PG is the least important defensive position. If a guy can be a good team defender and work within the defensive scheme-- like Curry or Tony Parker-- it's relatively easy to hide them-- and that situation will be amplified with Wembanyama back there. Mike Conley is undersized and has no problem being part of Minnesota's league leading defense. Best case scenario, I'd love a 6'4"+ PG, but if that's not available, a 6'3" guy with impressive advanced defensive stats is not a dramatic compromise.
    This is my biggest worry with dillingham. He does not seem to be even interested in playing defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Castle is the better prospect all things considered. He's got the size (6'7 in shoes), length (6'9 wingspan), athleticism, and determination to be a Defensive force for a long time in this league. Think PATFO recognize, as others have pointed out, that we're going to be going up against guys like Ant, SGA, Jamal Murray, etc. for years to come. We need a versatile, POA Defender that we can stick on those guys in those matchups. That player currently isn't on our roster. Castle would give us that.

I also think they see his solid FT% and believe that his 3-ball will come with time, which would not only make him a complete player, but potentially an All-Star caliber one down the line. If he starts hitting his 3-ball at a decent clip, he could be Jimmy Butler-esque for us in 3-4 years. Then there's the idea that he may be able to play PG. I personally don't see a true PG in him, but I'm sure PATFO are intrigued by the idea of it.

I like those other players you mentioned, but they all have serious physical flaws. Dilly and Sheppard are considerably undersized for their positions, and Knecht has limited lateral athleticism which will likely render him a poor defender. I'd still like any of them at 8 personally, but I think PATFO recognize the 2-way potential that Castle has that the other 3 players simply don't offer.
    I'm cool with taking Castle at 8, not at 4, passing on a guy that projects as a way safer bet (and probably higher ceiling too) like Risacher, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry gets torched by good opposing guards, wouldn't you take him if he was available in this draft?

As long as we don't get a complete liability I'm fine. I wouldn't want to draft a guard because he has a projectes good defense but then becomes unplayable because he can't shoot for , tbh.
    Curry’s HOF offense offsets his defense. I hope you're not implying that any of these guards are on that offensive level. Defense absolutely matters if you’re not Curry level on O.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm cool with taking Castle at 8, not at 4, passing on a guy that projects as a way safer bet (and probably higher ceiling too) like Risacher, tbh.
    Risacher is almost a lock to be gone at 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Risacher is there at 4 then yea that would likely change things. The Castle pick projection is under the assumption that Risacher is gone by 4, which I believe he will be. I think WAS ultimately takes him at 2 tbh.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risacher is almost a lock to be gone at 4.
    I highly doubt Castle lasts to 8 either. If both Risacher and Castle are on the board at 4 the Spurs will have a tough decision to make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His shooting is elite. Definitely.

The reason I pick Dillingham over Sheppard is that he's a true self-creating shot-maker. Sheppard has some of that, but nowhere close to what Dillingham can do, which is why Calipari had Dillingham run point (usually) and Sheppard play off-ball when they were both in together.

With Sheppard, I think we have a TJ McConnell type. If his shooting translates, that's astounding. He's a true threat. But to me Dillingham's possibilities are on a whole different level. Now, the question is whether he needs that 30% usage to work.

I understand this take, but I also wonder about the comparative passing abilities/desires. Their assist numbers are nearly even, and that's with Sheppard mostly playing off ball and having a minuscule usage rate of 18%, compared to Dilly's 30% rate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry’s HOF offense offsets his defense. I hope you're not implying that any of these guards are on that offensive level. Defense absolutely matters if you’re not Curry level on O.
    Who thought Jokic would be arguably the greatest offensive bigman in league history? You never know.

All I'm saying is that after years of taking non-shooter in hopes of fixing their shots, I would like to switch it up and draft some actual good shooters for once, tbh.

Thread Information