Page 322 of 394 FirstFirst ... 222272312318319320321322323324325326332372 ... LastLast
Results 8,026 to 8,050 of 9826
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, that's a perfectly reasonable take.

No chance Castle goes past Hornets.

Topic is a bad defender with questionable shot and all those teams already have a playmaker. I think they wouldn't pick him even if he was healthy. It would be really upsetting if Spurs took Topic with #4.
    Topic at 4 would be a horrible conservative pick by the Spurs. High chance he drops to 8 if they really want him. The Spurs have to draft Topic(at 8) at discount with his injury.
    Last edited by rascal; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:48 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me it's the lack of shooting with no in between game either. Not gonna get to the basket if everyone can just drop back and take away the drive every possession.
    I see the shooting differently. I'm not very worried about it. I expect him to be, at least, an average 3 pt guy if healthy. It's the 'if healthy' part that has me out on him right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topic at 4 would be a horrible conservative pick by the Spurs. High chance he drops to 8 if they really want him.
    8 would be the ceiling, but until those medicals are scrutinized, I've dropped him to 12 for the time being.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN's latest mock has the Spurs taking Dillingham at 4 and then Salaun at 8

ive said a bunch of times that to me the disaster version of this draft is one where we dont come away with any of Risacher/Dillingham/Sheppard (risacher appears unlikely enough to begin with), so this is ultimately an acceptable outcome to me. but its odd that they have the spurs taking Salaun at 8 with each of Castle, Knecht, Williams, and Holland on the board.

I get that Salaun has unique potential among that group... but he seems like the quintessential "year away from being a year away" guy and i dont think its wise to have guaranteed roster spots going to guys that we likely cant even begin to properly evaluate for 2 years

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8 would be the ceiling, but until those medicals are scrutinized, I've dropped him to 12 for the time being.
    So you are out on Topic for the Spurs. Spurs are most likely going to keep 4 and 8.

Spurs have to be smart and have the for ude and strenght to not draft Topic at 4 even if they want him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN's latest mock has the Spurs taking Dillingham at 4 and then Salaun at 8

ive said a bunch of times that to me the disaster version of this draft is one where we dont come away with any of Risacher/Dillingham/Sheppard (risacher appears unlikely enough to begin with), so this is ultimately an acceptable outcome to me. but its odd that they have the spurs taking Salaun at 8 with each of Castle, Knecht, Williams, and Holland on the board.

I get that Salaun has unique potential among that group... but he seems like the quintessential "year away from being a year away" guy and i dont think its wise to have guaranteed roster spots going to guys that we likely cant even begin to properly evaluate for 2 years
    It's a stupid board, I really like Dillingham but I seriously doubt the Spurs would take him at 8, let alone 4. The way things are shaping up, the most likely option at 4 is Castle, BY FAR. Dillingham would probably also be available at 8, yet sadly I believe the Spurs will pass for a Salaun type, triggering back my Primo/Sengun PTSD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a stupid board, I really like Dillingham but I seriously doubt the Spurs would take him at 8, let alone 4. The way things are shaping up, the most likely option at 4 is Castle, BY FAR. Dillingham would probably also be available at 8, yet sadly I believe the Spurs will pass for a Salaun type, triggering back my Primo/Sengun PTSD.
    taking castle at 4 as the sole solution to the PG position would already trigger my primo PTSD

if Sheppard is preferable to Dillingham i'd be fine with that too

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a stupid board, I really like Dillingham but I really doubt the Spurs would take him at 8, let alone 4. The way things are shaping up, I think the most likely option at 4 is Castle, BY FAR. I think Dillingham would also be available at 8, yet sadly I believe the Spurs will pass for a Salaun type, triggering back my Primo/Sengun PTSD.
    yes, if anyone has been following the Spurs fo they like to draft players who can play defense even if they need work on 3 pt shooting. Castle fits exactly how they like to draft outside he isn't a foreign player.

The Spurs value versatility, players who can play a couple of different positions. Castle isn't totally worthless on offense as he's solid shooting inside the paint and finishing at the rim.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supply and Demand would seem to indicate that you take the defender at 4 and the shooter at 8. There's only 1 elite defender and at least 3, if not 4, shooters available.
    Disagree.

Defenders with no jumper:

Sarr
    Castle
    Saluan
    Williams
    Holland
    Matas

Shooters:
    Reed
    Dilly
    Knecht

Excluded:
    Clingan (Center)
    ZR (cant call him a shooter based on his overall body of work but you also cant say he has no jumper.)
    Topic (he cannot shoot or defend)

I count seven non shooter plus a questionable shooter in ZR to three legit shooters.

Gotta take the shooter first and then go defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you are out on Topic for the Spurs. Spurs are most likely going to keep 4 and 8.

Spurs have to be smart and have the for ude and strenght to not draft Topic at 4 even if they want him.
    I am out on him for our two picks right now. That could change based on medical reviews, but I'm not risking a pick on him based on where things stand right now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, if anyone has been following the Spurs fo they like to draft players who can play defense even if they need work on 3 pt shooting.
    And somehow almost everyone on the roster except Wemby is an awful defender.

Castle fits exactly how they like to draft outside he isn't a foreign player.
    They passed on Jovic with not one, but two pick.
    A year before that everyone expected Sengun pick, didn't happen.

Believe.
    Post Count
    I made the mistake of watching some Donovan Clingan tourny highlights. Knowing Ume loves D so much, I don’t think there’s any way in they pass on him. At the end of the day he is a weapon they just don’t have, he might just be the missing piece to get them in the playoffs. If Naz, Gobert & CAT can figure it out, I’m sure Al and Don can figure it out.

Now having said that, if he drops to Spurs I think he is the next best player to draft and I think
    we just have to take him and figure it out with Wemby. There’s advantages and disadvantages and you
    may have to customize the rest of the roster to fit them but what I said above about Houston’s bigs applies equally well to Spurs.

They will probably at some point have to be ready to handle the Wolves in the playoffs and I think they need to get bigger to do that.

Welcome the new twin towers!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree.

Defenders with no jumper:

Sarr
    Castle
    Saluan
    Williams
    Holland
    Matas

Shooters:
    Reed
    Dilly
    Knecht

Excluded:
    Clingan (Center)
    ZR (cant call him a shooter based on his overall body of work but you also cant say he has no jumper.)
    Topic (he cannot shoot or defend)

I count seven non shooter plus a questionable shooter in ZR to three legit shooters.

Gotta take the shooter first and then go defense.
    Sarr- I'll give you that, but he'll be gone before we pick
    Castle- He's the tip backcourt defender
    Saluan- You can really call him a top defender yet
    Williams- plays D and can shoot, but has shown elite capabilities in either spot yet
    Holland- I'll give you Holland
    Matas- I don't think you can consider him a top defender yet either. He's will, but He's not there.

So, that gives you two defenders on the list in our range..

Shooters:
    Reed
    Dilly
    Knecht

Yep, and that gives you 3 shooters... If you're going D with one of those picks, it has to be Castle at 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with Baseline, I think it smoke screen to get a team to trade up to trade for him maybe work something out with the Grizz.
    I don’t think it’s even that complicated. Seems to be just analysts guessing and throwing spaghetti against the wall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You realize that Sochan’s 3G% went up 60 points this past season, right? Our worst problem is defense, and I think you address that first. YMMV.
    And he still costs us because opposing teams don't respect his shot. Which goes to show you that even with improvement, these non-shooters seldom become non-liabilities, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I made the mistake of watching some Donovan Clingan tourny highlights. Knowing Ume loves D so much, I don’t think there’s any way in they pass on him. At the end of the day he is a weapon they just don’t have, he might just be the missing piece to get them in the playoffs. If Naz, Gobert & CAT can figure it out, I’m sure Al and Don can figure it out.

Now having said that, if he drops to Spurs I think he is the next best player to draft and I think
    we just have to take him and figure it out with Wemby. There’s advantages and disadvantages and you
    may have to customize the rest of the roster to fit them but what I said above about Houston’s bigs applies equally well to Spurs.

They will probably at some point have to be ready to handle the Wolves in the playoffs and I think they need to get bigger to do that.

Naz and KAT are both 40% 3 point shooters, and Naz is an incredibly mobile defender

i dont disagree that Houston could go Clingan, im just sayin thats not the good argument for it. my thing with the Houston/Clingan fit is that they also traded for Steven Adams, unless they are writing him off

Clingan/Spurs pairing has a lot of projection required. Wemby clearly looked more comfortable and impressive playing the 5 and without another big clogging the lane. but that could also be a function of his outside shot not being as good as it can get, and his ball handling being quite loose for much of the year (got better at this). defensively we know he was fine as a 4, but was more impactful as a 5.

part of the appeal is the spurs were very weak rebounding aside from Wemby. sochan got better toward the end of the season, but any time wemby moved over to contest a shot, we gave up putback layups because nobody else could or would box out and cover wemby's man. clingan/wemby together solves that.

the other big appeal to me is Clingan's passing. the spurs struggled all year with entry passes. ironically, wemby was our best entry passer all year. clingan is a very good passer and the high-low stuff would be fun. the big projection required is Clingan actually having a jumper to the point where he becomes a Brook Lopez esque threat. lopez isnt some sharpshooter. his career high from 3 was in 22-23 when he averaged about 37%. basically would want him to get to where (again, ironically) we expected Zollins to be

to me its just so messy with so many if's that i dont think its worth it, particularly at 4

collins/wemby lineups performed poorly (though a lot of that overlapped with point sochan nonsense). bassey/wemby lineups were also bad before bassey got hurt. barlow/wemby lineups were ok and only slightly negative, but that was aided by barlow's mobility enabling him to cover more on the perimeter

with that said, some minimal minutes together along with Clingan owning the second unit is potentially valuable enough on its own
    Last edited by spurraider21; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:24 PM.

Believe.
    Post Count
    I don't see that being a big problem, even if it pushes my favorite 4/8 results off the table. Clearly I don't want Risacher that much, but that's repeating myself.

I take the Dill-man 4, but I've been considering that anyway. Either:

- If the team is high on Sheppard, they're taking him at 4. Few of us like Topic, but he's in play. So the FO may not be bothered at all.

- Barring those, I'm probably believing Sheppard and Clingan are attractive to teams in the next slots down to 10. I know there's not much time, but see what the appe e is from Detroit, Memphis, etc., to move up.

- Game out what would happen at 8 if the above happens. I'm sure the team is working out Buzelis and Cody Williams and these other guys, too. In the end, you can trade out of that spot if you get your Dillingham/Sheppard/whatever at 4 and don't like the wings left at 8.
    Having said that what are your thoughts on this Memphis/Spurs trade? I assume we would pick Tiddy or Cody at 9.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Naz and KAT are both 40% 3 point shooters, and Naz is an incredibly mobile defender

i dont disagree that Houston could go Clingan, im just sayin thats not the good argument for it. my thing with the Houston/Clingan fit is that they also traded for Steven Adams, unless they are writing him off
    In the highlights there is highlight of him sinking a three. I’m not saying he’s a three point shooter but he had beautiful form. I think he could develop a shot. Would have to check his free throw percentage. What I like most about him is his BBIQ. He’s not just a dumb big. He has a bit of Bill Walton in him if I may say.

But man what a defensive pair they would make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having said that what are your thoughts on this Memphis/Spurs trade? I assume we would pick Tiddy or Cody at 9.

Marcus Smart is 30 years old with only 2 years left on his deal. He doesn't fit the timeline at all. Would make no sense for us, especially if we take Castle at 4. Hard pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be happy with Castle and Reed with 4+8
    I don't see Reed making it past Charlotte tbh. They're reportedly high on him and he'd form a nice backcourt pairing with LaMelo. Blazers also desperately need shooting, but I have them taking Knecht at 7 as they need a SF and not a SG, which would create log-jam with Scoot and Simons. Unless they'd want him coming off the bench, I think Knecht makes more sense for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, if anyone has been following the Spurs fo they like to draft players who can play defense even if they need work on 3 pt shooting. Castle fits exactly how they like to draft outside he isn't a foreign player.

The Spurs value versatility, players who can play a couple of different positions. Castle isn't totally worthless on offense as he's solid shooting inside the paint and finishing at the rim.
    Besides Victor, we haven't drafted anybody who can play defense...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see Reed making it past Charlotte tbh. They're reportedly high on him and he'd form a nice backcourt pairing with LaMelo. Blazers also desperately need shooting, but I have them taking Knecht at 7 as they need a SF and not a SG, which would create log-jam with Scoot and Simons. Unless they'd want him coming off the bench, I think Knecht makes more sense for them.
    Portland (with Mike Schmitz) goes for upside, not fit. They probably take a Holland, Buzelis, Cody Williams or even Salaun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You really think Poole, Kuzma, or even Kispert enter the equation when deciding who to pick at 2 for a team that is probably tanking for 3 more seasons? Really?
    If they think Risacher is the best fit, he's their guy. I think Atlanta probably takes him TBH, but otherwise he's likely gone at 2 unless the Spurs are absolutely crazy about him and make a ridiculous offer for him (hope not).
    Yes, really. We know Risacher has no self-creation skills whatsoever. He fully depends on others getting him the ball. You have two chuckers. You have two pretty good facilitators in Jones and Deni. But you already have one sharpshooter, as I say, who is probably as good as Risacher will ever become. And you have a guy you selected last year who needs development on the wing.

Why would you do that to yourself? None of these players deserve a number 2 pick above the others, so why would you pick the one you can't develop properly whose best outcome is Gradey ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Don't see HOU taking Clingan honestly, unless they plan on trading Sengun (doubtful). Playing them together would draw Sengun away from the basket in PnR, which is the last thing HOU wants. He already struggles at the 5 as is. They would then have 2 guys who don't excel against PnR on the floor at the same time. That's just not a great pairing imo, unless they plan on using Clingan off the bench (doubtful). Would be surprised if the Rockets went that route.

Think they're much more likely to draft FVV's replacement, whether it be Topic, Reed, or Dilly. The first two make more sense in terms of fit, as Dilly is ball-dominant and you don't want to take the ball out of Jalen Green's hands and have him just standing around in the corner. Remember, Green went off this year after Sengun went down with his injury and he was able to have the ball in his hands a lot more. He finally looked like the elite prospect they drafted 2nd Overall. Doubt they want to stunt that with Dilly. Topic or Sheppard make way more sense imo. But who knows, who they draft will determine the rest of the lottery cause the draft starts at the 3rd Pick this year imo.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Besides Victor, we haven't drafted anybody who can play defense...
    Sochan was drafted for his defense. But agree he isn't a strong defender. Spurs missed on Sochan

Thread Information