Page 326 of 394 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330336376 ... LastLast
Results 8,126 to 8,150 of 9831
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they think he has best player in the draft type ceiling then they should absolutely take him at 8 tbh. They also have plenty of roster spots/room to give Saluan 2 years to develop if they think he's worth it tbh. If they only had #8 then I'd probably agree with you but #8 is a luxury pick where they can afford to take a big swing.
    dont think we'll see eye to eye on this, but the scenario where i wont be too upset about a salaun pick is one where we take a kentucky guard at 4 (assuming risacher wasnt also there)

if we get out of this draft with castle and salaun or topic and salaun id consider it an L

but who knows, the guys calling the shots should know way better than i do

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re: Sochan the defender

The thing is he just doesn't seem to generate a lot of events. Where's the blocks? Where's the steals? , where's the deflections?

Per 36 only 1.0 steals and 0.7 blocks?

Only ranked 93rd in deflections per game, 4th on the Spurs. Worse per 36. Sidenote, Dejounte still getting top 10 deflections despite poor defensive showings.

Basically everyone who has a rep of any kind on defense gets more deflections than Sochan, you can check the hustle stats on NBA.com. He didn't draw any charges this year. Jaden McDaniels he similar block and steal numbers but a fractionally better 0.5 deflections per 36, late first round pick who didn't have the rep coming out of school as Sochan

Are there stats to show how positive an impact he made guarding the opposing number 1s? I hope so because the regular counting stats aren't really in his favor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Neither does Castle, but leave it to the Spurs to want to build the most unskilled offensive team in the league so that they can prioritize defense with players who lack dynamic physical tools or the ability to create havoc . . . and yet you've got people on board with this nonsense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    blocks/steals are nice, but we've seen very good and even great defenders not generate those stats. the problem is im not convinced sochan does that. he has his games where his impact is obvious but they're somewhat few and far between. usually, he's pretty solid positionally but then lacks the springiness or size to actually affect the shot as much as he needs to. he doesnt have particularly active hands against ballhandlers to poke at the ball. he kind of just stays in between them and the basket and if they can elevate and shoot over him its just hoping they miss

and that kind of defense is fine, but not good enough if its supposed to be his calling card that justifies his presence in the starting unit.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is a liability. He and Champagnie need to go.

You replace just those 2 with average NBA players, and we win 15-20 games more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Neither does Castle, but leave it to the Spurs to want to build the most unskilled offensive team in the league so that they can prioritize defense with players who lack dynamic physical tools or the ability to create havoc . . . and yet you've got people on board with this nonsense.
    If there aren’t any players in this draft who have dynamic physical tools or the ability to create havoc… then the alternative to pursue these types is better.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Salaun is starting to feel like this years Coulibaly who went higher and higher up mock drafts as the draft got closer. Mostly based on size and length for his position coupled with flashes of raw skills (athleticism, shooting).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody should act like Castle will have nothing to contribute to an NBA team because he’s not strong offensively… the guy was just part of a college championship team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per BBall index, fwiw…

2023-24 Perimeter Isolation Defense metric leaders:
    1. Luguentz Dort2. Alex Caruso3. Jeremy Sochan4. OG Anunoby5. Jaden McDaniels6. Ausar Thompson7. Vince Williams Jr.8. Derrick Jones Jr.9. Keon Ellis10. Deni Avdija11. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope12. Isaac Okoro13. Caris LeVert14. Cason Wallace15. Herbert Jones16. Kris Dunn17. Dillon Brooks18. Dean Wade19. Andrew Wiggins20. Dyson Daniels

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Salaun is a very attractive lump of clay but that type of player has no business going top 10
    Top 10 in this draft is like top 16-20 in a normal draft per the GMs Rusillo talked to, so I don't think it's a stretch if they think he has a high ceiling. Unless somehow Castle or one of the Kentucky guards is still on the board at 8 I'd rather take a home run swing on him or Holland or Williams than say get a worse version of McDermott in Knecht.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce Bowen wasn't a good defender because stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've reached the stage where further analysis just makes me more pessimistic about this draft

If we could somehow turn #4 into Deni and #8 into Ivey, I'd rather just have that. If those two names don't work, I'm positive I can find a dozen other on rebuilding teams I'd be happy with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've reached the stage where further analysis just makes me more pessimistic about this draft

If we could somehow turn #4 into Deni and #8 into Ivey, I'd rather just have that. If those two names don't work, I'm positive I can find a dozen other on rebuilding teams I'd be happy with.
    Better yet, just give both 4 and 8 for Dejounte.

If people here say no to that, I want to hear who in this draft they think will reach Dejounte’s level. This will be good.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do the top four PGs in this draft compare to the top PG prospects in the 2021-2023 drafts? They seem to compare very well. Was Suggs really all that different? I certainly don’t think Black is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If people here say no to that, I want to hear who in this draft they think will reach Dejounte’s level. This will be good.
    You Son Of A , I'm In

Edit: Forgot that we have a guy who will be better than Trae Young (and maybe Tony Parker) and John Stockton's clone in this draft. Might have to rethink things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do the top four PGs in this draft compare to the top PG prospects in the 2021-2023 drafts? They seem to compare very well. Was Suggs really all that different? I certainly don’t think Black is.
    Castle v Black v Cason Wallace v Suggs

https://www.tankathon.com/players/co...e--jalen-suggs

Stats at least

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 10 in this draft is like top 16-20 in a normal draft per the GMs Rusillo talked to, so I don't think it's a stretch if they think he has a high ceiling. Unless somehow Castle or one of the Kentucky guards is still on the board at 8 I'd rather take a home run swing on him or Holland or Williams than say get a worse version of McDermott in Knecht.
    I’m curious where the cut off is in this draft according to the GMs. I do think players like Salaun and Knecht would tend to go later, or a player like Carter. Would Buzeilis go 16-20 in a normal draft? Cody Williams? I mean, Zaire Williams went to 12, right? How is he different than Buzeilis, Holland or Williams?

I think this weak draft stuff is getting incredibly exaggerated by folks. There isn’t an elite prospect like most drafts, but there will be some really good players to come out of this draft. It’s just gonna take real development of swing skills.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you may have unrealistic expectations about the role this draft will play in a multifaceted rebuild strategy. We still have to go through free agency, play the trade market game, and roll the draft dice a few more cycles. I see few, if any, Day 1 starters in the top 10 of this draft, and those who are (the centers) aren’t a position of need.

Im cool drafting what could amount to great role players or taking a few big swings on kids 2 years away. It’s the hand we have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'd love it but why would Atlanta do that? Would also have to throw a salary in since the Spurs won't be able to quite clear enough capspace for Dejounte's salary. Wouldn't need to be much; either Branham or Wesley would work if they cut Champagnie, as much as I'd hate to cut a guy who can give good bench minutes signed to a $3 million team option. But don't see them taking Collins or Graham off the Spurs hands and would much rather keep Keldon to trade later than move him just to be able to keep Champagnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m curious where the cut off is in this draft according to the GMs. I do think players like Salaun and Knecht would tend to go later, or a player like Carter. Would Buzeilis go 16-20 in a normal draft? Cody Williams? I mean, Zaire Williams went to 12, right? How is he different than Buzeilis, Holland or Williams?

I think this weak draft stuff is getting incredibly exaggerated by folks. There isn’t an elite prospect like most drafts, but there will be some really good players to come out of this draft. It’s just gonna take real development of swing skills.
    I'm just repeating what GMs told Rusillo. That this draft is like chopping the first 8-10 picks off a normal NBA draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think it was Mr. Body that suggested that some guys from this year's draft would start to be drafted around 6 in last year's draft (meaning the Top 5 last year would all go Top 5 this year), and I think that seems about right. With that said, I don't think last year was that great of a draft either - it just had a few guys at the top (and especially Wemby) that stood out. If you take out the top 5 last year, it's probably on par with this year's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan's 3PT% in 2024 was 27.5%. exstatic thinks we should have a parade or some because he improved from embarrassingly bad to shockingly abysmal.
    . Now we’re breaking it down into partial seasons to fit our POV?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like the affinity for Avdija is akin to the desperation on the part of a lot of Spurs fans to acquire Taurean Prince back in his ATL days. He's a mediocre starter who's only signed to his good deal because he had established a firm track record of being even worse than that. Unlike with Prince back in the day, the Spurs do not have any need to leverage themselves so much to acquire such a player. They have the means to get one for less.

I like Ivey, but I have him more as a guy acquired with Chicago pick than 8. If the Spurs did something like Risacher and Holland during the draft, then I could see that trade making sense. But they shouldn't move a top-10 pick for a flier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . Now we’re breaking it down into partial seasons to fit our POV?
    Ironic coming from you, the guy who distorts things or just flat out makes them up, to fit his POV.

I provided Sochan's monthly 3P% splits above. They're just facts. You're welcome to believe he is an up and coming 3P threat if you please.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it was Mr. Body that suggested that some guys from this year's draft would start to be drafted around 6 in last year's draft (meaning the Top 5 last year would all go Top 5 this year), and I think that seems about right. With that said, I don't think last year was that great of a draft either - it just had a few guys at the top (and especially Wemby) that stood out. If you take out the top 5 last year, it's probably on par with this year's.
    Yeah, in terms of prospects, Scoot, Miller and Amen certainly go ahead of anyone in this draft. I think Ausar and everyone after him are on par with this group.

Thread Information