Page 330 of 389 FirstFirst ... 230280320326327328329330331332333334340380 ... LastLast
Results 8,226 to 8,250 of 9703
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were Washington, I would take Topic for sure over Castle. However on the spurs his fit isn’t right - I don’t want Wemby running a ton of PNR as the roller and I don’t think he’d be great setting a ton of picks repeatedly. Wemby needs off ball shooting which is a question with topic, and there are better fits as an off ball player. He also can’t contribute much on the defensive end. However, I do think topic has the highest offensive potential of all the draftees and he’d be my selection if I didn’t already have my cornerstone locked in.
    Assuming Topic is a drive and kick player, Washington works well because they have shooters. He and Wemby may not work because they're trying to get to the same places in the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have yet to see any highlights or write-ups that push me off the opinion that Topic is anything more than an under-the-rim player who can't shoot, doesn't defend, has never shown out against top level compe ion, and has medical flags.

Honestly it's not apparent to me why he was ever talked about as a Top-10 candidate.

Would rather not have the #8 pick and take Ajay Mitc at #35 than take Topic or Salaun there.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's more impact from first round picks (yes, outliers, but historically earlier the pick, the better the expected player), and more certainty around clear groups who'll be available. At this stage, a month and change out, there's so little certainty over where prospects will go that debating second round picks gets silly. Also, to an extent, second round picks might be fit pieces, and you'd consider who you'd drafted already.

e.g, I think KJ Simpson is good, and looks likely to be available at 35 (and 48, in some places). But, if we drafted Dillingham, I'd probably avoid another small guard who's not a stash, as he'd be strictly a third option as I don't see a lot of options for Simpson / Tre / Dilly to play together. If we went with something like Castle / Reed, I could see it as there's still a bit of value in looking for on ball creation now, as while I think both of those guys are good bets to eventually contribute to some on ball responsibility, they aren't heliocentric options now / pure PGs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have yet to see any highlights or write-ups that push me off the opinion that Topic is anything more than an under-the-rim player who can't shoot, doesn't defend, has never shown out against top level compe ion, and has medical flags.

Honestly it's not apparent to me why he was ever talked about as a Top-10 candidate.

Would rather not have the #8 pick and take Ajay Mitc at #35 than take Topic or Salaun there.

1.) Stephon Castle || FR || UConn || 6'6 || SG/PG

2.) Ron Holland || 18yrs || G-League Ignite || 6'8 || F

3.) Isaiah Collier || FR || USC || 6'3 || PG

4.) Justin Edwards || FR || Kentucky || 6'8 || SF

5.) Aday Mara || FR || UCLA || 7'3 || C

6.) Kel'el Ware || SO || Indiana || 7'0 || PF

7.) Mackenzie Mgbako || FR || Indiana || 6'8 || F

8.) Bobi Klintman || 20yrs || Cairns Taipans || 6'10 || PF

9.) Ja'Kobe Walter || FR || Baylor || 6'5 || SG

10.) Izan Almansa || 18yrs || G-League Ignite || 6'10 || PF/C

11.) Alex Sarr || 18yrs || Perth Wildcats || 7'1 || PF/C

12.) Trentyn Flowers || 18yrs || Adelaide 36ers || 6'8 || SF

13.) Nikola Topic || 18yrs || KK Mega || 6'6 || PG

14.) Zaccharie Risacher || 18yrs || Bourg || 6'8 || SF

15.) Donovan Clingan || JR || UConn || 7'2 || C

16.) Kwame Evans Jr. || FR || Oregon || 6'9 || PF

17.) Baba Miller || SO || Florida State || 6'11 || C

18.) D.J. Wagner || FR || Kentucky || 6'3 || PG

19.) Terrance Arceneaux || SO || Houston || 6'6 || SF

20.) Tyrese Proctor || SO || Duke || 6'5 || G

21.) Cody Williams || FR || Colorado || 6'8 || SF

The above is a random pre-season mock draft. I found others that had Collier up there at number one, Edwards from Kentucky. First of all, a great example of why pre-season mocks are so problematic. Many of the guys we're drooling over for 2025 are not going to show out. This one's fairly unusual in having Castle that high.

Anyway -- many of these players completely tanked. They sucked. But somebody has to move up into the vacuum of the first slots, so it wound up becoming Sarr-Risacher-Topic.

That became the narrative for months, and like many things, the reputation got sticky: these players deserve the top slots because obviously they are the best.

Becomes a self-fulfilling thing: Sarr-Risacher-Topic are clearly the best, or else why was everybody mocking them so high? So I'd better mock them high, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a note, Castle was hurt earlier in the year and didn't start playing until around December. It took him a bit to start getting noticed again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a note, Castle was hurt earlier in the year and didn't start playing until around December. It took him a bit to start getting noticed again.
    Are you warming to Castle at 4, or are you still sticking to Dillingham there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you warming to Castle at 4, or are you still sticking to Dillingham there?
    Well, currently they're my two selections, it's a matter of how I can get both of them.

Detroit is a threat to take Dillingham. Charlotte is a dim possibility to take Dillingham. Portland is unlikely.

Detroit is not likely to take Castle. Charlotte is a possibility to take Castle. Portland could take Castle.

I think Detroit's smartest play is to take Dillingham, though Buzelis is getting ink there. And despite shortcomings (heh heh) he's my main target. So I don't futz around and I take my player at 4.

I'd still feel out whether Charlotte, who may not be in love with any player at 6 and be okay waiting out Portland, would trade from 6 to 8, likely still get a guy they like (Holland or Williams, say). Last year, Indiana got Washington's 2028 SRP and the Suns' 2028 SRP to swap the 7/8 first round picks, so I'd see what it would take to do this.

Basically, I value Dillingham the most, so make sure I get him. I like Castle from this bunch, too. I think there's risk Dilly gets nabbed at 4-7 and I can potentially control for getting Castle. But if I can get Castle then Dillingham, then that works, too.

Tbh I think the Spurs go for Risacher or Castle with the 4 and don't have Dillingham on their radar.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ignoring the medicals and character. What makes Topic a better prospect based on his play alone
    He's holding a starting spot (and playing effectively) against much better compe ion. At 18, a year younger than the NCAA guys.

He's physically the largest of the PG prospects (Assuming reported measurements are correct). Could easily play up at the 2 or even the 3.

He has 2 NBA level tools already: 1) Drive and Finish, 2) Passing. His shot is likely to develop, as he shoots .878 on free throws. His defense is not strong, but the issue is overstated. Like just about every prospect, I expect his defense to get better with more experience. Also, unlike the NCAA guards, he is playing against men and pro offenses now, not college ball; that makes him look worse than he is, relative to the college guys.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to get a read on Topic, other than he keeps getting hurt. He's supposed to be an exceptional playmaker and passer, but the clips packages show good reads, but not exceptional reads. Apparently his value is getting into the lane, but that's where you want Wembanyama to be. If he takes a long time to shoot, this impacts his pick-and-rolls. If he's not an excellent defender, then this impacts things further.
    The Spurs would like to play 5 out primarily so I don't think this is really an issue. Also, I think Topic showed some flashes of high-level playmaking and IQ during his time with Mega. That's probably the one thing that is easily translatable to the NBA. It's everything else that you have to have some concerns about.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, currently they're my two selections, it's a matter of how I can get both of them.

Detroit is a threat to take Dillingham. Charlotte is a dim possibility to take Dillingham. Portland is unlikely.

Detroit is not likely to take Castle. Charlotte is a possibility to take Castle. Portland could take Castle.

I think Detroit's smartest play is to take Dillingham, though Buzelis is getting ink there. And despite shortcomings (heh heh) he's my main target. So I don't futz around and I take my player at 4.

I'd still feel out whether Charlotte, who may not be in love with any player at 6 and be okay waiting out Portland, would trade from 6 to 8, likely still get a guy they like (Holland or Williams, say). Last year, Indiana got Washington's 2028 SRP and the Suns' 2028 SRP to swap the 7/8 first round picks, so I'd see what it would take to do this.

Basically, I value Dillingham the most, so make sure I get him. I like Castle from this bunch, too. I think there's risk Dilly gets nabbed at 4-7 and I can potentially control for getting Castle. But if I can get Castle then Dillingham, then that works, too.

Tbh I think the Spurs go for Risacher or Castle with the 4 and don't have Dillingham on their radar.
    Makes sense. I wouldn’t hate the combo, but my preference would be to wait on Dillingham (or best of him/reed/topic) at 8. I’m on the Castle at 4 bandwagon, but definitely think the Spurs take ZR if he’s still there. And if they do that, I hope they move up for Castle as you suggest.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there aren’t any players in this draft who have dynamic physical tools or the ability to create havoc… then the alternative to pursue these types is better.
    The point is, it's a flawed premise. If you're going to expend high and mid lottery picks on defensive players, they better at least have the potential to be elite ones, not just average - good.

I think you may have unrealistic expectations about the role this draft will play in a multifaceted rebuild strategy. We still have to go through free agency, play the trade market game, and roll the draft dice a few more cycles. I see few, if any, Day 1 starters in the top 10 of this draft, and those who are (the centers) aren’t a position of need.

Im cool drafting what could amount to great role players or taking a few big swings on kids 2 years away. It’s the hand we have.
    No, I don't and I'm basing this off of their own comments/actions over the years. They clearly have this pie in the sky fantasy of building this supposedly idealistic Celtics/Thunder style roster (where every core player can guard and has to be guarded) and think they can make it happen by sprinkling their magic pixie dust on non shooters, which usually fails.

I don't see Castle as a great role player, at least within' the context of this roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming Topic is a drive and kick player, Washington works well because they have shooters. He and Wemby may not work because they're trying to get to the same places in the paint.
    One of topic's main strenght is the pick and roll, he could be deadly with victor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's holding a starting spot (and playing effectively) against much better compe ion. At 18, a year younger than the NCAA guys. He's physically the largest of the PG prospects (Assuming reported measurements are correct). Could easily play up at the 2 or even the 3. He has 2 NBA level tools already: 1) Drive and Finish, 2) Passing. His shot is likely to develop, as he shoots .878 on free throws. His defense is not strong, but the issue is overstated. Like just about every prospect, I expect his defense to get better with more experience. Also, unlike the NCAA guards, he is playing against men and pro offenses now, not college ball; that makes him look worse than he is, relative to the college guys.
    It's funny that pretty all the draft analysts or scouts value topic and here he's a scrub. For me watching him reminds me of sengun : different positions, different qualities and weaknesses but high IQ players with a lot of fundamentals killing it on some grown men league. I also think people really understimate playing in french or serbian league while having some good productions at 18 tough i can agree for salaun it will be early at 8
    Last edited by duncan2150; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate to be the one to enlighten you...

but pop never tanks - he is just now a s of the coach he used to be...
    what you saw this past season was pop trying his hardest to win games...
    YMMV

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you're an 18-year old playing for Red Star you're definitely not a scrub

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a write up on the UCONN kids

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looking at many updated mocks we can say that the common sense of this forum is not on line with most of the mocks. which is a good sign IMO.
    it's interesting that the forum totally cooled own on Topic, while various mocks se him going to SA at 4, while passing on Castle. is anyone here left who takes Topic over Castle?
    I saw draftroom and James Barlowe move Castle to the Spurs at 4.
    O'Connor has the Spurs taking Dillingham and Cody Willimas while passing on Risacher at 4 and Castle at 8. that won't happen, right?
    I guess Wasserman has the most meltdownish mock with Topic and Holland. (while passing on Castle and Dillingham).
    I would. I like Castle, and I think he could be a PG, but Topic IS a PG, right now, and a pick and roll master. People who like him aren’t neccessarily talking about him because there’s a strong possibility that he goes 2 to Washington.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ignoring the medicals and character. What makes Topic a better prospect based on his play alone
    He had one injury, which he then re-aggravated. It’s the same one that Blake had, an MCL, and if you’re going to have a knee ligament injury, that’s the way to go. If he needs surgery, and we don’t know that, it’s a 3-6 month recovery, not a year like an ACL. And what are these character issues you’re babbling about?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would. I like Castle, and I think he could be a PG, but Topic IS a PG, right now, and a pick and roll master. People who like him aren’t neccessarily talking about him because there’s a strong possibility that he goes 2 to Washington.
    Even with the injury issues? I definitely get it if they aren't a concern, but right now they are concerning..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent analysis, especially if you can follow that with why WIZ should pass on Sarr at 2.
    I’m not sure they should. Their listed Cs are Bagley III and some rookie named Vukcevic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even with the injury issues? I definitely get it if they aren't a concern, but right now they are concerning..
    I addressed my feelings on that in the next post below the one you quoted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zaccharie Risacher is 6'10, not 6'8.
    (I dit the same thing when someone ask me about my ex-wife bra size. It didn't work. Someone took her in the first round.)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually like Holland a lot more than I liked Kuminga in 2021. Their numbers look similar on paper, but Holland to me has a lot more suddenness and lateral agility to his game while Kuminga had more power. I worry about his rim finishing - even though the guy is an automatic paint touch, he shot 57% at the rim in a league where there is basically no paint protection.

The main argument for Holland from my perspective is this:
    Elite draft prospects are a combination of 3 things:
    1. Youth
    2. Physical tools
    3. Production against similar age or more mature prospects

In spite of his sometimes bonehaded plays and terrible outside shooting, Holland is probably the guy in the draft that best combines the 3. He'll still be 18 on draft night. His athleticism clearly pops given his first step, lateral quickness, and transition finishing (To me it's a wash between him and Dunn as the best athlete in the draft). And despite being put in a role that he clearly wasn't used to, he put up decent numbers against more mature compe ion. He actually did way better as a first-time primary initiator than I expected for an 18 year old, especially for a guy who was playing really without a point guard for most of the year and who played his entire high school career as an energy/glue guy/finisher. And he did improve over the course of the year; during the regular season his FT% was 76% while he put up a positive AS:TO. He shot poorly, but his form looks pretty good on his jumper as long as he corrects his base a little. And given his youth, you'd expect the rim finishing, handle, and jumper to improve over time especially as he gains more strength.

Compared to Kuminga, he shoots FTs better and has a higher motor both on tape and based on his metrics given his high OREB% and high STL%. Between that and his lateral agility and better defense, I think there's a good chance he turns out better than Kuminga down the line. Most reasonable estimate of his measurements are 6'7-6'8" with shoes and 6'10-6'11" wingspan which is decent for a wing especially with his athleticism. I think he's a perfectly reasonable top 3-5 pick in most drafts because of this so getting him anywhere outside the top 4 is probably a steal.

As an aside, you can very easily envision the play style that the Spurs would have if they took Holland and Sheppard. 2 elite perimeter defenders (Holland to guard the quick wings and guards, Sochan to guard the strong wings) in front of a Wemby backline. A defense focused on turnover generation and playing the passing lanes between Sheppard and Holland, both of whom had elite STL%, who have full license to gamble with Wemby behind them. An elite shooting PG who excels at hit-ahead passes in transition and pushing the pace synergizing with an athletic wing who excels in transition finishing. Sheppard's lack of advantage creation in the half court being covered up by Holland's ability to generate paint touches allowing him to function as an off-ball shooter. It's an interesting combo that I haven't thought about before but definitely seems appealing.
    i really like this post by SpursBills. He gave a somewhat tangible structure/scheme on how those two picks can impact winning. I expect another to give an alternative structure/scheme to choose from.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs trade #8 & #35 for Giddey and #12. Does OKC hang up the phone? Would the spurs consider that? If Donovan Clingan falls to #8 I think a lot of teams will be calling the spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I hope they learned their lesson then.

Thread Information