Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don’t see Chris Paul spending his last year or 2 on a team that is nowhere near competing. Thought it was a long shot last offseason for the same reason. I’m sure he respects Pop and would love to play with Wemby but he’s not passing up his last chance for a ring for those reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maxey-OG-Embiid + 12 other guys on min deals, coming up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's about a 10% chance both Embiid and Anunoby stay healthy for the whole playoffs, which is what would have to happen for them to have a chance. I wouldn't go that route.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Philly definitely gonna price enforce. Knicks gonna have to max this fool to keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don’t see Chris Paul spending his last year or 2 on a team that is nowhere near competing. Thought it was a long shot last offseason for the same reason. I’m sure he respects Pop and would love to play with Wemby but he’s not passing up his last chance for a ring for those reasons.
    If he goes to the Lakers he's passing up his last shot at a ring too tbh. If he was serious about contending he'd join Denver on the vet minimum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Cavs firing Bickerstaff, the word is Mitc is closer to staying than Garland.

Any thoughts on acquiring Garland?

Pros/cons?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't stand Chris Paul. One of the dirtiest players in the league, an over-the-top flopper, and seems to leave enemies behind on every team he plays for. Just because a guy is old, that doesn't make him a "mentor." That's the word everyone's throwing around on twitter... no way, keep him as far away from Wemby as possible.
    he might not be a mentor from a personality standpoint as being the likeable leader, but you can bet your ass that

a) he demands perfection from teammates
    b) will hold players accountable
    c) show them how to be consummate pro's by example

if we draft a PG, paul could be the one to show them the ropes

as mr body said, the suns style of play matured due to his presence. so did OKC's when he went there. i dont know that he'd want to play for a team like the spurs as opposed to trying to ring chase w/ a team like denver

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CP3 will go play with LBJ. If we sign him, he would probably be cut at the end of the season so he could join a contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should try to get him tbh. We'd probably have to salary dump Zach Collins to do so, but it would be worth it. Anounoby would be a valuable starter and will always have value on the trade market if you want to aquire someone better.

With the Cavs firing Bickerstaff, the word is Mitc is closer to staying than Garland.

Pros/cons?
    third realistic trade target at PG next to Murray and Young. He's also on a big deal, but that is not that big of an issue with Wemby still on his rookie contract. Cons is the Cavs would want players in return, not picks. So most likely would have to be a 3-team deal I guess. I wouldn't mind getting him for the right price, but then again Dillingham might be a player of the same caliber down the line.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Looking at less sexy moves - the Spurs need an actual backup C behind Wemby and it's clear Collins is not fit for that role.

Ignoring what we'd have to do to dump his salary, who would be a realistic target as Vic's backup in FA? Kornet? Valanuncias? Drummond? slim pickings out there but Spurs need someone who isn't a soft vagina that constantly gets bullied on D and can actually rebound

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pros/cons?
    Before the season I would have been for it. After the season I feel less enthused. He didn't have a great year. Down across the board. He didn't work with Mitc would I had expected to work out much better. So how would he fit on our roster if we draft into that 1 or 2 slot. I'm not sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at less sexy moves - the Spurs need an actual backup C behind Wemby and it's clear Collins is not fit for that role.

Ignoring what we'd have to do to dump his salary, who would be a realistic target as Vic's backup in FA? Kornet? Valanuncias? Drummond? slim pickings out there but Spurs need someone who isn't a soft vagina that constantly gets bullied on D and can actually rebound
    I think Kornet is too soft as well. Drummond is probably the most gettable... Valanuncias is the best of the bunch if he's willing to come in a backup role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cleaning house, about time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, sounds like they’re clearing the runway for Risacher.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, sounds like they’re clearing the runway for Risacher.
    Exactly.... Bilal, Deni, Risacher, and Kispert are the ones they keep

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Big Daddy and Drummond would both be nice in that role, but I think we're just gonna have to roll with Collins for at least another year. It's not worth it to try and dump his salary with two years left, and it doesn't make sense to dump significant money into another backup C. I'm not overly optimistic about Bassey's ability to stay healthy, but I feel like he will be able to hold down the backup spot for a long time if he could.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, I am OK going through the next season without a legit backup, but in the 2025 draft i want us to use all those second round pick to move up and take a legit backup. I still have nightmares of Bonner playing so many games as our Center and battling Shaq ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happens to all these salary increases and team valuations if there is a serious financial downturn in the economy. You have to think that all of the contracts and valuations are built on the assumption that the NBA has an unlimited potential upward in the future. Although there is no comparison between the professional sports leagues when the last real depression occurred and their place in society today, a massive financial downturn is going to affect all entertainment venues and the revenues available to pay these astronomical salaries. Think about the huge contract given to Madonna back in the day, based upon some recording company's prediction of her continuing value as a performer. (Some of you may say, "ERuh...Madonna who?") Does anyone know if the standard NBA contract allows for downward corrections in pay if the economy goes south?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happens to all these salary increases and team valuations if there is a serious financial downturn in the economy. You have to think that all of the contracts and valuations are built on the assumption that the NBA has an unlimited potential upward in the future. Although there is no comparison between the professional sports leagues when the last real depression occurred and their place in society today, a massive financial downturn is going to affect all entertainment venues and the revenues available to pay these astronomical salaries. Think about the huge contract given to Madonna back in the day, based upon some recording company's prediction of her continuing value as a performer. (Some of you may say, "ERuh...Madonna who?") Does anyone know if the standard NBA contract allows for downward corrections in pay if the economy goes south?
    The thing that will affect the NBA is the aftermath of any economic downturn, the CBA afterwards. Their media money is locked in for the duration of the deals, as are the pay scales.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is just speculation, but I believe there is enough profit margin in the league to absorb any short turn economic downturn. For example, NBA revenues were down 9.5% during the first year of the Pandemic, and then 19% the second year, which honestly doesn't seem that bad considering they were playing in a bubble and then to mostly empty stadiums. It's a different league, but the NFL (as a league) has around a 62% profit margin. If similar is true of the NBA, then there is plenty of margin to absorb those short term shocks for the league as a whole (though some individual teams may struggle).

Here is a chart of NBA League Revenues since 2005. Even the financial crisis of 2008 didn't really have much of a negative impact on the league, so save for something like a Pandemic, it appears that sports leagues are pretty resilient to macro-economic factors - which makes some sense as, despite reduced consumption ability, consumers will still want an escape from the world.

Note: I did find that the NBA has more like a 30% profit margin. So not as able to withstand shocks as the NFL, but owners are also already rich. With that said, the cap will probably increase more like 0% as opposed to 10% in these cases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before the season I would have been for it. After the season I feel less enthused. He didn't have a great year. Down across the board. He didn't work with Mitc would I had expected to work out much better. So how would he fit on our roster if we draft into that 1 or 2 slot. I'm not sure.
    the broken jaw that kept him from eating solid food for over a month had something To do with it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs legend, Nikola Milutinov

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the broken jaw that kept him from eating solid food for over a month had something To do with it
    Yeah I only follow loosely. Knowing that he didn’t like playing alongside Mitc had me half expecting that he would have put the team on his shoulders in the playoffs with Mitc out. He kinda the bed there.

That wasn’t a good look.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.... Bilal, Deni, Risacher, and Kispert are the ones they keep
    Likely, but I still think Clingan makes a ton of sense in DC. Tone setter on D, who can play with those three wings in the short term.

Thread Information