Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he goes to the Lakers he's passing up his last shot at a ring too tbh. If he was serious about contending he'd join Denver on the vet minimum.
    Paul is preparing his post bb career in the medias, LA is the perfect spot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KCP for ~20M/yr.

Yay/nay?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KCP for ~20M/yr.

Yay/nay?
    He would definitely provide some stability at the 3 in place of Champagnie. A little small for a 3 but I think they'd be able to survive that. I'd also think it'd be good to offer just a 1-year guaranteed deal. He probably wouldn't want to commit long-term to what is currently a nonplayoff team, plus I doubt San Antonio wants to tie up salary in a short-term vet. I also think it'd just be fun to cause some chaos by making Denver's depth bleed a little.

If not KCP, I do think there is a solid strategy in getting a good vet by offering nearly all the cap space at them on a short-term payday ala Bruce Brown last summer, then filling other areas with older vets at the minimum and/or other young guys.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I was on board the Chris Paul train last offseason, but not as sure at this point. Feel like he declined quite a bit from the previous season, Tre Jones proved himself as a solid backup PG, and it seems very likely we draft a PG in the lottery next month. Just not loving the idea of giving 20+ minutes a night to CP3.
    This is that old bull of an agent saying the Spurs are interested as a way to make their client look like a team-first guy. Chris Paul is on a short list of guys I never want to see in silver and black.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Old guards to learn from that are FAs. Patty Mills, Spencer Dinwiddie, Kyle Lowry, Kyle Anderson and Corey Joseph.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Old guards to learn from that are FAs. Patty Mills, Spencer Dinwiddie, Kyle Lowry, Kyle Anderson and Corey Joseph.
    anderson makes most sense they should def bring him back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anderson makes most sense they should def bring him back
    I’ve been thinking that for a minute. He would definitely shore up our defense and add some additional playmaking.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another non-shooting forward is exactly what we need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point in their careers, these guys are just small cogs in a machine. If they're ok taking a smaller salary for nothing more than a one or two year contract, I'd be ok with any of them on the team - all except Lowry. I don't think he has anything left in the tank to help a team. Maybe as a coach if he retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at less sexy moves - the Spurs need an actual backup C behind Wemby and it's clear Collins is not fit for that role.

Ignoring what we'd have to do to dump his salary, who would be a realistic target as Vic's backup in FA? Kornet? Valanuncias? Drummond? slim pickings out there but Spurs need someone who isn't a soft vagina that constantly gets bullied on D and can actually rebound
    As much as Collins sucked, this is a very low priority move. A backup 5 is something you need as aa contender and I'm not sold we need to pay money for one instead of just finding the next Eubanks etc. Should not go get one in the free agency market unless its an unknow or low priced player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happens to all these salary increases and team valuations if there is a serious financial downturn in the economy. You have to think that all of the contracts and valuations are built on the assumption that the NBA has an unlimited potential upward in the future. Although there is no comparison between the professional sports leagues when the last real depression occurred and their place in society today, a massive financial downturn is going to affect all entertainment venues and the revenues available to pay these astronomical salaries. Think about the huge contract given to Madonna back in the day, based upon some recording company's prediction of her continuing value as a performer. (Some of you may say, "ERuh...Madonna who?") Does anyone know if the standard NBA contract allows for downward corrections in pay if the economy goes south?
    Remember when the housing market casued the NBA salaries and revenue to tank in 2008? Me either. If we have a financial downturn that causes the NBA CBA to change then we're all ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another non-shooting forward is exactly what we need.
    We need defense. That’s our #1 weakness, and the bench is one of the primary reasons. If you can get a guy who can defend and switch, rebound, and playmake for a reasonable price, you do it.

Our 3 point shooting as slightly below the league player average at 34.6%. Our defense was historically bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as Collins sucked, this is a very low priority move. A backup 5 is something you need as aa contender and I'm not sold we need to pay money for one instead of just finding the next Eubanks etc. Should not go get one in the free agency market unless its an unknow or low priced player.
    Exactly. You're already on the hook for Collins at $17MM, and it will cost to dump him. He isn't really preventing us from doing anything - but he should be a practical prevention from spending much on yet another backup C. Gonna have to roll dirty with Zach this season - it's not like we're a backup big away from anything except maybe the 6th worst record instead of the 5th worst.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need defense. That’s our #1 weakness, and the bench is one of the primary reasons. If you can get a guy who can defend and switch, rebound, and playmake for a reasonable price, you do it.
    We need both shooting and defense. Getting good two-way players isn't easy, but that doesn't mean we should settle for a non-factors on offense.
    Bench defense won't improve as long as Collins is getting minutes. He needs to go. I don't care how. If PATFO wants to compete next season, Collins can't be in the rotation, no matter what.

Our 3 point shooting as slightly below the league player average at 34.6%. Our defense was historically bad.
    34.6% was good for 28th place if we talk 3pt team percentage across the league.
    11th in attempts, so it's not like we're not shooting, it's just that our roster is horrible at it.

I'm all for some defensive upgrades, but at least get someone who has something that resembles a shot and not SlowMo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need both shooting and defense. Getting good two-way players isn't easy, but that doesn't mean we should settle for a non-factors on offense.
    Bench defense won't improve as long as Collins is getting minutes. He needs to go. I don't care how. If PATFO wants to compete next season, Collins can't be in the rotation, no matter what.

34.6% was good for 28th place if we talk 3pt team percentage across the league.
    11th in attempts, so it's not like we're not shooting, it's just that our roster is horrible at it.

I'm all for some defensive upgrades, but at least get someone who has something that resembles a shot and not SlowMo.
    When you’re filling out your roster, two way players aren’t always available at reasonable cost, or in a given FA class. KA’s lack a long ball does NOT make him a non-factor on offense. He literally does everything else. It’s lazy analysis, like posters who say that Castle lack offense. No.he lacks a three point shot,but literally has the rest of the offensive bag. Kyle, at 6’9” with a 7’3” wingspan can also shuttle between big wing and center on defense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you’re filling out your roster, two way players aren’t always available at reasonable cost, or in a given FA class. KA’s lack a long ball does NOT make him a non-factor on offense. He literally does everything else.
    Are we watching the same playoffs? He was completely useless against Denver in three straight losses, only for Wolves to win both G6 and G7 when his role was reduced to bare minimum.
    There's a long way between current Spurs and playoff basketball, but still.

It’s lazy analysis, like posters who say that Castle lack offense. No.he lacks a three point shot,but literally has the rest of the offensive bag. Kyle, at 6’9” with a 7’3” wingspan can also shuttle between big wing and center on defense.
    The thing is that you can have just one of those players on the floor in modern NBA.
    We already have Jeremy, PATFO seems to be high on Castle and you'd also want to add SlowMo? Way to make Wemby's life even more difficult.

As we agreed, this roster is horrible at both defense and shooting. But I don't think improving one of those while making the other one even worse is the way to go.

Achiuwa, Oubre, Okoro, Highsmith, Patrick Williams, KBD, Prince, O'Neale, DJJ would be the list of free agent forwards that shouldn't be too expensive and would provide something for the team.
    I see no point in going back to 32 year old SlowMo who shares flaws with most of our roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    typical spurstalk shtick, being in love with players who can't shoot. Some of y'all would build a 15 player roster with no 3-point shooters at all "b-b-b-but they are good people and play the right way"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We talking about the same Kyle Anderson I've watched get torched in this series?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    typical spurstalk shtick, being in love with players who can't shoot. Some of y'all would build a 15 player roster with no 3-point shooters at all "b-b-b-but they are good people and play the right way"
    BuT ToNy PaRkEr blah blah blah

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Slightly below average is a very weird way to describe being #28 out of 30

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Go get him Wright

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we really want to commit 4 years $163 million to Garland. A 6 foot 1 point guard, amid lots of belly aching about short PGs prospects such as Sheppard or Dilly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let's draft Dillingham.

"nO hE tOO smAll canT pLaY dFeanse"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we really want to commit 4 years $163 million to Garland. A 6 foot 1 point guard, amid lots of belly aching about short PGs prospects such as Sheppard or Dilly?
    I got mixed feelings. The salary is not really an issue to me, but Dillingham could be the same caliber of player. And do you want to give up the CHI pick which has a good chance of converting in a loaded draft class? It depends on how much we’d have to pay asset wise

Thread Information