Page 340 of 391 FirstFirst ... 240290330336337338339340341342343344350390 ... LastLast
Results 8,476 to 8,500 of 9755
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this time I want

Castle
    Holland
    Dillon Jones
    Newton

UDFA Dante, Ingram

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You aren't drafting Castle for his shooting
    but his shooting/offensive game should be good enough to keep him on the floor bringing the positive skills to the team that you drafted him for.
    Apparently they're almost never drafting anyone for their shooting here . . . it's only the most important skill in the game and a longtime area of need.

I can't tell you how many of this archetype or a similar one get played off the floor (unless you have shooting everywhere else to where they can function as a roller/in the dunker spot) every year in the playoffs because their lack of shooting eventually overshadows their defense and whatever else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw Devin Carter as a trade down possibility, then I saw the spurs are interested in him at 8.

Kid is the type of compe or you want next to Wemby. Great defense, great reach, great rebounder and Just tough as nails. Looks like he has a legit shot and his timing and awareness are sorely needed with the spurs squad.

Feel like he's another Derrick White Combo type. And he has the hairline to compete.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently they're almost never drafting anyone for their shooting here . . . it's only the most important skill in the game and a longtime area of need.

I can't tell you how many of this archetype or a similar one get played off the floor (unless you have shooting everywhere else to where they can function as a roller/in the dunker spot) every year in the playoffs because their lack of shooting eventually overshadows their defense and whatever else.
    you only have to shoot better than one guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw Devin Carter as a trade down possibility, then I saw the spurs are interested in him at 8.

Kid is the type of compe or you want next to Wemby. Great defense, great reach, great rebounder and Just tough as nails. Looks like he has a legit shot and his timing and awareness are sorely needed with the spurs squad.

Feel like he's another Derrick White Combo type. And he has the hairline to compete.

Im starting to really really like Devin Carter! If we grab him at 8, do you think we go with a wing with the 4th pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im starting to really really like Devin Carter! If we grab him at 8, do you think we go with a wing with the 4th pick?
    Unfortunately you have to make the 4th pick before you know who you are getting at 8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, I think wing is early unless they just love one of these pgs. They're all so close in scale as far as pros and cons, I don't think they'd be upset with any left over from other teams. I felt Riss would be the pic but dont see him getting pass the top 4. You do have a few high upside guys there.

8 might be too high for Carter, but he's been steadily
    Moving up boards. There isn't a lot of distance between the mid to late draft so I wouldn't mind him at 8 at all. Still think he's more likely to go a little later so that's why I figured he'd be a good trade down guys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams seems to be one of those "fluid" athletes at best while Holland looks like he's moving around on springs. I know they only show a couple makes but could the resident ST shot doctors tell me what's broken about Holland's jumper?
    This is one person's opinion mind you but I saw something similar.

I'd also add that he has that "Street Fighter 1/4 Circle - Hadouken" motion leading into the shot which I believe leads to inconsistencies upon release ie. two shots are never really the same.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately you have to make the 4th pick before you know who you are getting at 8
    Classic raider….. no Sherlock!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'd also add that he has that "Street Fighter 1/4 Circle - Hadouken" motion leading into the shot which I believe leads to inconsistencies upon release ie. two shots are never really the same.
    Wow that is wonky as f. He does flick it really fast in the clip so you almost don't see it but that freeze frame is damning

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Who wore it best?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...x1enqcq4tgnixm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holland has a jumpshot almost like mkg did

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For people who want Castle at 4, what kind of shooting are you projecting him to have? As in, do you see him as an average to above average low volume catch-and-shoot 3 point guy like Okoro, or are you projecting him to be able to hit 3s off the dribble at a decent percentage as well? I 100% buy his defense and ability to play off-ball, and 75% buy his playmaking ability, but I'm looking for reasons to get over his shooting concerns.

For full disclosure, I have Sheppard/Castle as far and away my favorite draft combination for our 2 picks. I think they each have very high ceilings, usable floors, and actually synergize with each others' strengths and weaknesses extremely well when you play them together especially around a Wemby-centered motion offense.
    Many of us are looking at the 75% FT shooting as hope that the shooting potential is there. It’s also why some of us can’t quit Topic, but that’s another story.

So long as Wemby and Vassell are the offensive hubs, I’m not expecting him to be doing the Luka step backs or anything. Catch and shoot would be nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just hire a shooting coach and put Holland in the gym until the season starts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing players need to be aware is that Wemby is going to want to eat meaning he is going to want his offensive touches. So Castle is a perfect fit for him as he all ready played and won a Championship with a big so we know that has a good chance of caring over to the next level.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him and Sarr probably have the highest upside in this draft if he can fix his shooting your looking at a number 2 on a Playoff team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing players need to be aware is that Wemby is going to want to eat meaning he is going to want his offensive touches. So Castle is a perfect fit for him as he all ready played and won a Championship with a big so we know that has a good chance of caring over to the next level.
    That’s one of the reasons I wonder if will be out on Topic… everyone thinks the spurs need a dominant play maker but really we just need someone who can space the floor, play D, and give wemby the ball lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's probably why he has the most variance on Mock Draft boards across the process.

He arguably has the best physical tools in the draft and if you're thinking the shot is correctable, or he can shoot it solidly enough as it is;
    you're having considerations for him being a Top three guy.

I just don't see the shot ever becoming serviceable enough (and I've been wrong on this in the past eg. LaMelo Ball), or him be willing to re-build it if that is what is required.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder why no one's thought of having him practice jump shots before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm really warming up to the idea of getting Castle at 4. He has all the tools and a reliable jump shot away from being a rational player. Looking at everyone else he is the only one with enough ceiling to be in that category.

Yeah, this draft kinda sucka

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle kinda reminds me of a young Jimmy Butler

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone was asking about Castle's jump shot. I believe in his shot more than I do Sochan's, and Jeremy's is improvable, he just seems to be targeting the basket more than shooting in rhythm. Castle shoots pretty well from spots above the break. His motion, the form, all look pretty good. I think he can develop it. Will he be a knockdown shooter? Probably not. Will he keep defenses honest? I think so. My question is more about how relatively deliberate and slow he is attacking the rim. He's not going to get there at will. But with Wemby's gravity and other actions, he's gonna know where to cut and how things work.

Otherwise he's exactly what would be great in the Spurs system. His rotations and man defense will be excellent to exceptional. Navigates picks extremely well, just dogged and relentless on that end. On offense, he'll be able to make quick reads and reactions, move the ball, do the right things. He won't take a long time to figure things out. He has special capabilities like being a really strong screener for a guard, meaning you can possibly even have him screen for Wemby or others to get things going.

Only real question I have with him is his mentality. Is he a secret diva who wants the ball in his hands a lot? Is he going to get irritable if he doesn't? If he's not a lunatic and simply means he doesn't want to be defense-only next to a guy like LaMello Ball, that he'll be energized playing in a strong motion system where he'll have every opportunity to read and react, then he's the player to get in this draft.

And not because it's a bad draft. Without their hype, he could have pushed Scoot and the Thompsons last year for spots. It wouldn't be surprising to see him impacting the league more than they do in five to eight years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted to try and get a better idea for Stephon Castle's shooting prospects and the odds that he'd be a decent shooter. People cite his FT% often, but using that as a sole factor seems inaccurate. For me at least, trying to get an understanding of "touch" and 3 point accuracy looks at 4 factors - FT%, college 3 pt%, college 3 pt volume, and college midrange %. That said, Castle scores poorly in 3/4 categories - while his FT% is acceptable, his 3 point % (27), 3 point volume (75) and midrange accuracy (35%) are extremely worrisome to me. Looking at these factors, I would expect that he would not project to be a good shooter moving forward.

These are the results of a quick database search. I used Bart torvik to look for all 1st round draft picks (excluding bigs) in the last 17 years with the following:
    FT% > 75
    Midrange % < 40
    3 point volume < 100
    3 pt % < 30

Of the 17 hits, there were 3 guys who ended up turning into good shooters by their pre-draft season and then obviously became good NBA shooters
    Buddy Hield (Fr), Jalen Williams (So), Mikal Bridges (Fr)

Of the 14 others, 6/14 became league average or better shooters:
    Kawhi, Alec Burks, Oladipo, Delon Wright, Grant Williams, Pascal Siakam

Unfortunately, the 8/14 other players who did not become league average or better shooters all busted or are on their way out of the league

If we turn the FT filter down to 72%, we add Jaden Ivey, Kobe Brown, De'aaron Fox, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and Jeff Taylor; none of these 5 are what I would call good shooters, although maybe there is some hope for Fox and Ivey in the future

So these results actually are more optimistic for Castle than I would have thought. I basically assumed that he had virtually zero chance of becoming an acceptable shooter with his metrics, but in truth I think that there is some precedent that he can get to at least league average. That may be enough if he is used more as a secondary creating POA defender like Jalen Suggs. However, this list also suggests that if he does not develop into a league average shooter, there is a decent chance he will bust out of the league along the likes of Nassir Little and MKG.
    Last edited by SpursBills; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:33 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Latest mock:

4: Dilly
    8: Castle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Latest mock:

4: Dilly