My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suffice to say, it didn’t take Anderson Silva long to establish himself as the unquestioned king of the sport’s deepest division.

In less than four combined minutes, the fearsome Brazilian striker disposed of the iron-jawed Chris Leben and then violently removed the UFC middleweight championship from the clutches of pound-for-pound great Rich Franklin.

That is the type of UFC debut that has a way of sending willing and eager future opponents scurrying in search of easier fights. However, 185-pound contender Mike Swick wants to make it crystal clear that he does not fall into that group.

“I want to fight Anderson Silva for the le in my next fight,” he said without hesitation. “I don’t want any more elimination fights or tune-ups. I want Silva next.”

To most, that may sound like hubris. But Swick takes a more philosophical view of the situation.

“The thing is that Silva is a great challenge for me,” Swick said. “I got into the sport to challenge myself by fighting the best fighters in the world. I’ve waited my whole life for an opportunity like this. I would get to fight for the le against a guy who is an absolute beast--a guy that everyone is afraid of. It doesn’t get more challenging than that, so it would be the ultimate fight for me.”

Fighting for a UFC le almost certainly qualifies as the ultimate fight for any mixed martial artist. Still, Swick is nobody’s fool. He is well aware that MMA is more than just a sport. It is also a business for the handful of professionals that call the UFC their full-time job, one that requires athletes to win often and impressively if they want to continue to flourish in their chosen profession.

Thus, it is hard to imagine Swick campaigning for a fight unless he was very confident of his chances.

“Silva is the type of fighter that I like to fight,” he said. “He’s not going to come out passively, which fits well with my style because it lets me be aggressive and it makes for an exciting fight for the fans. Also, his style is very reminiscent of Muay Thai, and I am really comfortable fighting guys with a Muay Thai style. So this is the exact fight I want.”

And it is a fight that Swick firmly believes that he deserves.

“The UFC positioned my fight with David Loiseau as a fight to determine the No. 1 contender,” he explained. “The announcers said that numerous times in the broadcast. He was the former No. 1 contender and I beat him. Sure, I had a bad night and didn’t look that great. But either way I still won the fight. And I won my previous four fights in just over five total minutes, so I’m en led to one bad night. Whether people think I’m ready or whatever the case, I deserve the le shot. I don’t know any other middleweight in the UFC that deserves a le fight more than I do.”

Swick has a point. He has amassed a perfect 5-0 record inside the Octagon. No other fighter in the division can boast an equal or better current winning streak. And his recent decision win over David Loiseau at UFC 63 certainly felt like a le elimination bout, whether or not it was formally sanctioned as such by UFC president Dana White.

Of course, it is hard to argue that anyone is more deserving of a le shot than Franklin. Fourteen months as champion, including two successful le defenses, has to count for something. Franklin, however, is unavailable for the near future due to a badly broken nose suffered at UFC 64.

Swick, therefore, seems like the logical choice. But nothing in life is simple, including the question of who should get first crack at the new 185-pound champion.

“I have ligament damage in my hand from the Loiseau fight, so I can’t punch at the moment,” Swick admitted, raising doubt over whether he could fight as soon as UFC 66 on December 30. “I can operate my hand enough to do technique work and stuff, but I can’t spar or do full-speed grappling until the hand heals. It should heal pretty quickly. The question is whether the UFC will wait and give me the first shot at Silva or if the next TUF winner will be first in line.”

Oh yes, TUF 4. On November 11, live on e TV, UFC veterans Patrick Cote, Pete Sell, Travis Lutter, and Edwin Dewees will conclude what currently stands as a four-man, single-elimination tournament for $100,000 in cash, a $100,000 one-year Xyience sponsorship and a guaranteed shot at the middleweight crown.

Exactly when the TUF 4 winner will get his le shot remains unknown.

At the end of the day, it is almost impossible to predict with any certainty who will receive the first opportunity to challenge Silva for the le. Still, that doesn’t deter Mike Swick from continuing his campaign.

“I really want the first shot at Silva,” he said. “You are never going to know where you stand in the division until you fight the best opponent out there. If I fight Silva, I’ll know for sure where I am at in the division. If I beat him, I am the best. If I lose, then I know I am not the best and I am not ready to be the champion. I can’t wait to find out.”

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Swick's not ready for Silva yet. Marquardt should be next in line...then the winner of Cote - Lutter from TUF 4. Sell and Dewees aren't in the final 4 like that article says either. The other matchup is Serra - Lytle...

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    I haven't seen anybody in UFC that would have a chance against Silva right now.

Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Swick, like any fighter, thinks he's a lot better than he really is.

Thread Information