My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/10699331.htm?1c

Radio station's ads get lots of feedback

By Chris Vaughn

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Most advertising talk this time of year centers on the Super Bowl and whether that body part is acceptable or this beer spot is too racy.

But in Dallas-Fort Worth, where the Super Bowl is decidedly a long way off, the advertising debate revolves around billboards that use pictures of Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein and Yasser Arafat to draw listeners to a talk radio station.

Hundreds of e-mails and phone calls have poured into radio station KLIF/570 AM since about 20 billboards went up around Tarrant and Dallas counties this month.

About half of the responses are from people appalled by the billboards, and the rest are from people supportive of the campaign, said the station's vice president and general manager, Lon Bason.

Either way, the politics-heavy station is getting what it wanted.

"We wanted to get people's attention," he said. "We knew this would strike a chord. We knew some people would be offended by them. But they prefer to ignore the facts of the world we live in these days."

The campaign has thudded for some advertising professionals, though.

Mike Wood, a former vice president of advertising at RadioShack and now a professor at Texas Christian University, called it nothing more than "shockvertising."

"They've attracted my attention," Wood said. "But how are they relating that to the station? I can't seem to put the two together."

The president of the Work Group Advertising and Design firm, Russel CeBallos, considers the campaign "very angry" and wonders why the station is using fear as a sales tactic.

"I don't know what they're trying to do," he said. "It's not the direction I would have gone. It doesn't make me want to flip to their station."

The station thought up the idea in-house and vetted it with focus groups before launching the admittedly "edgy" campaign, Bason said. Pictures of talk show host Dr. Laura or Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly could have been used, but that wouldn't convey what the station wanted, he said.

"You need to show people you're hard-hitting and on top of the local issues people are concerned about," Bason said. "The concern about terrorism in our own back yard is a local issue."

The station has moved one billboard along LBJ Freeway in Dallas because it was near a funeral home, which took offense, Bason said.

But its most inflammatory ideas never got out, he said, including one with a terrorist pictured in front of a school.

"They were censored" by the outdoor advertising company, he said, for being "too scary."

Underneath one of the billboards is the Texas Hereford Association's building and manager Jack Chastain's office.

It's not as bad as when Chick-fil-A had a billboard above him -- "I didn't particularly care for that," he deadpanned -- but it's not much better, he said.

"I'm a strong Republican and a strong Bush supporter," Chastain said. "But I'd like to believe we're above that. I'd like to think we have more class. That looks to me like it's low-class."

Chris Vaughn, (817) 390-7547 [email protected]

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this says anything, they are the DFW Fox News affiliate. There's two others...one says something like, "Two down, one to go". I'll see if I can find them.

Here's their banned TV ad: http://www.klif.com/video/FearFactor.wmv
    Last edited by jalbre6; 01-21-2005 at 08:53 PM. Reason: content didnt post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just pissed at them for moving the Chick-Fil-A ad.

Lottery Pick
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hate terrorism

they should be wiped from the earth

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this says anything, they are the DFW Fox News affiliate. There's two others...one says something like, "Two down, one to go". I'll see if I can find them.

Here's their banned TV ad: http://www.klif.com/video/FearFactor.wmv
    On what grounds was it banned? Just curious...

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Travis,

Comcast (the Dallas-Fort Worth cable provider) declined to run the spot because of the gunsight shots, but says it will air a version later this week that deletes the frames where a gunfight targets the head of a toddler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some People Want You Dead...
    The station has moved one billboard along LBJ Freeway in Dallas because it was near a funeral home, which took offense, Bason said.
    LMAO

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Travis,

Comcast (the Dallas-Fort Worth cable provider) declined to run the spot because of the gunsight shots, but says it will air a version later this week that deletes the frames where a gunfight targets the head of a toddler.
    ah.

Thanks...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should target the dad, so I can have the mom.

Thread Information