My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Break a leg, Tex. Literally.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....ccc962c5.html

Hicks: Teixeira rejected $140 million offer

Owner says deal would have kept star player with Rangers for eight more years

03:16 PM CDT on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News
    [email protected]

CLEVELAND – The Rangers did not let Mark Teixeira go to Atlanta without a fight, owner Tom Hicks said Tuesday as the seven-player deal with the Braves was completed.

Hicks confirmed the Rangers made Teixeira an official long-term contract proposal more than two weeks ago in a last-ditch effort to keep him. The proposal would have kept Teixeira in Texas for eight more seasons at a total for approximately $140 million. The deal would have included a mutually agreed figure for Teixeira's last year of salary arbitration in 2008 and another seven years worth $18 million per season.

Teixeira was making $9 million this season, the second year of a two-year deal with the Rangers. He is eligible for arbitration next season and is expected to receive between $12 million and $14 million per season.

"I've always loved Tex as a player," Hicks said Tuesday by phone from California. "I was personally involved in signing him and I wanted him to be a face of this organization, along with Michael Young, for the long term.

"I thought we made enough of an offer to keep him a Ranger for life. I'm disappointed he turned it down, but I think we did everything we could to keep him. Now, we've got some very good young players coming here and I feel with some good moves and free-agent signings, we can be a championship team."

Hicks said he met with Teixeira's agent Scott Boras two weeks ago when the club was in Anaheim and extended a formal offer within 48 hours of the meeting. The reply: Teixeira was not prepared to make a long-term commitment at the moment.

Only a week before the meeting, Teixeira had claimed the Rangers had never approached him about an extension. He reiterated that stance after the club left Anaheim and traveled to Oakland. A Rangers source, however, said the club had made "overtures" to Teixeira on at least three occasions.

On Tuesday, as Teixeira hastily checked out of the Rangers hotel in Cleveland to try and make a flight to Atlanta, he declined to comment on anything Rangers related. Asked if an extension proposal had ever been brought up to him, Teixeira said:

"I'm not talking about any of that. I'm an Atlanta Brave. That's done. I'm very happy. That's it." aka I'm a lyin but off, I'm outta here

In exchange for Teixeira and lefty Ron Mahay, the Rangers got catcher-first baseman Jarrod Saltalamacchia and four minor leaguers. Rangers medical officials had no issues with an MRI on left-hander Matt Harrison's shoulder and he was included along with 19-year-old right-hander Neftali Feliz and 18-year-old shortstop Elvis Andrus. Also, the Rangers will receive 20-year-old left-hander Beau Jones. Jones has split the season between low Class A Rome and high Class A Myrtle Beach.

Saltalamacchia, Andrus and Harrison were ranked as the Braves' top three prospects by Baseball America in its preseason prospect handbook. All three were also among the top 100 overall prospects in the minors. The Rangers had only one prospect, Eric Hurley, in the top 100.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is all boras.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't want to be here and we got some good prospects for him so.... bye bye.

Spend the $140 mil elsewhere to shore up the rotation and lineup - not with just this one guy. It's a good thing he turned it down.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This is Tom Hicks throwing out that $140 Million figure........Tom Hicks slings the bull like a pro.....actually no, strike that, he slings bull like a dumbass because everybody knows he's slinging it.

Jason Kidd is a scrub Flight3107's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I hope Hicks decides to throw the bank at Zambrano and then go after Rowand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is Tom Hicks throwing out that $140 Million figure........Tom Hicks slings the bull like a pro.....actually no, strike that, he slings bull like a dumbass because everybody knows he's slinging it.
    he could have thrown any figure he wanted and boras would have said no and told him 10 other teams were offering 170 million.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    he could have thrown any figure he wanted and boras would have said no and told him 10 other teams were offering 170 million.
    oh definitely. that's always true with the Baseball Anti-Christ. what i meant was that Hicks might have been lowballing him the whole time, and then went and told the media some bull number like 140 mil.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wonder if they tried to give gagne a deal...

oh wait, he didnt want to stay in Texas after this year..

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    wonder if they tried to give gagne a deal...

oh wait, he didnt want to stay in Texas after this year..

Actually, Gagne made it very clear that he wanted to stay in Arlington.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's why he quickly waived his no trade clause?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish Boras would go away like snitches go away in the Sopranos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's an FA at the end of the season - Boston's using him as a rent-a-stud for the pennant race like Houston did with Randy Johnson. If Gagne has a hardon for playing up here, he can always come back. I'm sure Tom's checkbook will be open.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He's an FA at the end of the season - Boston's using him as a rent-a-stud for the pennant race like Houston did with Randy Johnson. If Gagne has a hardon for playing up here, he can always come back. I'm sure Tom's checkbook will be open.

I know

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that I like Hicks or Boras...but Teix has always been an ahole in negotiations...even when he was drafted he was a pain in the butt. He wanted a ton of money to sign after he'd had some bigtime injury issues in his final year of college.

The bottom line is that most hitters are over-rated and over-paid on the Rangers until they actually get a pitching staff capable of contending for the division...the bad pitching renders the good hitting meaningless. The only hitters that have value to the Rangers are those that can draw increased attendance...which Teix doesn't.

But yeah...Boras sucks and so does Hicks.

Hicks makes W look like the best baseball team owner in history....

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Tex didnt reject this, Scott Boras did. Boras can make his agents do what ever he wants.

Thread Information