My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't see this posted in the other threads ... so:

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wor...ree061810.html

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports

JOHANNESBURG – The referee who disallowed a potential game-winning goal for the United States will face an expedited performance review from FIFA and is likely to be excluded from the rest of the World Cup, according to a FIFA source.

Koman Coulibaly from Mali disallowed Maurice Edu’s 86th-minute strike that would have given the USA a 3-2 lead over Slovenia at Ellis Park and likely would have led to a thrilling comeback victory Friday. Coulibaly appeared to rule that American midfielder Michael Bradley had impeded a Slovenian defender, even though video replays showed no infringement.

FIFA’s refereeing committee will review footage from the Group C clash on Saturday to evaluate Coulibaly’s performance after several USA players complained about the way he had struggled to control a fiercely contested match.

Every World Cup match is viewed live by an on-site assessor who monitors the referee’s performance. However, in this case, a deeper assessment will take place at the earliest possible opportunity. That this is happening so quickly suggests FIFA is taking the complaints about Coulibaly seriously and is likely to leave him unassigned to referee further matches, according to the source. He could still appear as a line judge or other supporting role.

“If he is found to have made a serious mistake, especially one that affected the outcome, then he would be highly unlikely to play any further part in the tournament,” said the source, who is close to senior figures on the refereeing panel. “FIFA is determined to keep refereeing standards high and does not want high-profile mistakes.”

Coulibaly came under heavy criticism from the U.S. team and head coach Bob Bradley, but it was not just the Edu no-goal that will come under scrutiny.

Assessors also are likely to be concerned at the highly physical nature of the match. American striker Jozy Altidore was repeatedly involved in tussles with the Slovenian defense, and an ugly incident took place midway through the second half when Slovenia’s Marko Suler appeared to throw Altidore to the ground. Coulibaly issued Suler a yellow card, but the strong infraction was enough for a red card and an ejection.

FIFA chooses its referees and assistants for each game from a list of elite officials specially selected for the tournament. They are evaluated before the World Cup to ensure that they meet standards of fitness and knowledge.

Coulibaly’s mistake will only increase calls for the introduction of instant replay for controversial decisions, something FIFA has strongly resisted up to this point.

“It is up to FIFA for what they do about him,” USA star Clint Dempsey said. “But it wasn’t just the goal. They were holding and pushing and grabbing and putting themselves in there. What are you supposed to do?”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great.

It's not gonna change anything

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For what it's worth, Coulibaly is known as the best african referee. He called the African Nations Cup match..

Sad it's come to this but it's not surprising

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For what it's worth, Coulibaly is known as the best african referee. He called the African Nations Cup match..

Sad it's come to this but it's not surprising
    lol wut?

I have actually watched some African zone games officiated by Couly and he is a total POS

I like boobs a lot! Slo spurs fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And nothing about first minute elbow by American player????????? It was AT LEAST a yellow card.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL your players act like they are a bunch of innocent virgins. those POS, they played just as dirty as our players if not dirtier.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL your players act like they are a bunch of innocent virgins. those POS, they played just as dirty as our players if not dirtier.
    no they didn't, you incredible homer. Did you watch the game??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no they didn't, you incredible homer. Did you watch the game??
    No, I ed your sister. Intentional elbow to the Ljubijankič´s head in the fucing first minute is nonexistant, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So one elbow = all the dirty Slovenia was doing in the second half.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I ed your sister. Intentional elbow to the Ljubijankič´s head in the fucing first minute is nonexistant, right?
    ok, that's one. Keep going

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, the Slovenian side played well for about 55 minutes and then turned into an abomination of soccer.

I'm being reminded of brainless Cowboy fan here by you Slovs.

Pero said it best... "The US was robbed"

I wish nothing but death and death upon that putrid referee. Death!

USA 3-2!!!!!!

Random member
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    And nothing about first minute elbow by American player????????? It was AT LEAST a yellow card.

That's hardly the same. Come on, stop being a homer. The US was robbed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, the Slovenian side played well for about 55 minutes and then turned into an abomination of soccer.

I'm being reminded of brainless Cowboy fan here by you Slovs.

Pero said it best... "The US was robbed"

I wish nothing but death and death upon that putrid referee. Death!

USA 3-2!!!!!!
    relax a little. happens, get over it. Be thankful that mistake wasn't a fatal mistake. The US is still in it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    relax a little. happens, get over it. Be thankful that mistake wasn't a fatal mistake. The US is still in it.
    dude, realize that i'm not serious...well, mostly not serious

do you get over Argentine losses easily? My guess is no. If you don't like my passion, then steer clear of it, comprende'?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol wut?

I have actually watched some African zone games officiated by Couly and he is a total POS
    he may be a POS but you don't officiate the ANC without being regarded as a good referee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I NEVER said US wasn´t screwed. I was like WTF when the ref blowed whistle (even if it was a moment before goal). I was happy as you can be, BUT I knew US was robbed.

Thread Information