Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    How long will it take to drive from San Antonio to Austin during morning rush hour?

We need to be in Austin by 11am on a weekday next week. We are trying to figure out if it makes sense for us to drive up the night before and spend the night in a hotel.

So (for those who have made the drive at that time), what time do you think we would need to leave SA to be there by 11am?

Thanks in advance.

-Kori

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    rush hour is generally 7-9am for me coming around 1604 heading eastbound from around the utsa area.

even if you leave at 9, I would think you should easily make it by 1030 if there are no accidents or construction issues.

leave at 8 and you might have time to stop for breakfast.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    I agree w/Blake. Morning outbound traffic on 35 isn't that bad. What part of Austin are you going to? Downtown can be sticky, though by that late you should be OK.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Yes, we are going downtown. So... do you think if we leave at 8:30, we will be there in plenty of time?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    Oh yeah, no worries.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Try going 281 to 290, it should take you @ 90 minutes, and a much more peasant drive than 410/35

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    8:30

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Try going 281 to 290, it should take you @ 90 minutes, and a much more peasant drive than 410/35
    If you haven't gone this way before and absolutely need to be in Austin by 11am, I don't recommend this.

Not to mention the traffic lights heading out 281 past 1604 hugely suck.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you haven't gone this way before and absolutely need to be in Austin by 11am, I don't recommend this.

Not to mention the traffic lights heading out 281 past 1604 hugely suck.
    Maybe you're right Blake. We go to Austin this way all the time, but it's usually not during rush hour.

Just sayin' if they left at 9 A.M., they should get there by 11 A.M. 2 hours travel time leaving S.A, from Bitters/281 area, IMO should get them there in time!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Thanks.

We are weighing our options between just going the night before or going that morning. With the hotel the night before, it would make it easier for getting ready and I wouldn't be worried about being late.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If I had three youngins with me, that's the route I'd take Kori!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    RG commutes to both cities all the time from SM, which is in the middle and has the drive times down pat, so I'll try to get him in on this thread. I can only offer this: Getting OUT of SA in the morning is probably not a problem. In good traffic, from 1604 to south Austin (Onion Creek Pkwy) is probably 40 or 50 minutes. Once you get into south Austin headed downtown, there's no such thing as good traffic in the morning. Give yourself plenty of time for traffic and parking. And when you're done, give RG a holler and have lunch with him. He's working in Austin right now.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks.

We are weighing our options between just going the night before or going that morning. With the hotel the night before, it would make it easier for getting ready and I wouldn't be worried about being late.
    I'd do this!

Scrumtrulescent
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You shouldn't have any problems with an 8:30 departure.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks.

Sounds like you'd rather go the night before which I'd pick as well if I'm driving a family and had such an option. No need for potential stress while on the road with kids onboard. Downtown traffic, finding a parking space, potential detours from accidents, Murphy's Law...go for the night route.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes, we are going downtown. So... do you think if we leave at 8:30, we will be there in plenty of time?
    That is when I would leave just to make sure, especially with kids that sometimes cause unplanned stops and issues. In some ways staying at a hotel might help, but in others it makes it more difficult because it disrupts the kids' routines.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That particular time of day should make it easier.

Austin has a huge choke point at I-35 right before downtown where it crosses the river. It goes from 3 lanes to 2 lanes, has a curve, and the speed limit slows markedly with a busy on ramp (riverside) slightly farther along.

This is right before the Riverside exit northbound and rush hour back ups mostly start there and work south.

BUT

At the time you will be hitting that stretch, between 9:30 and 10:30 it is usually fairly tame, in my experience, which is, at the risk of being less than humble, extensive. (1500+ plus miles/month into/out of Austin and/or San Antonio for the better part of 10 years)

To get from San Marcos to downtown for me during rush hour requires about 45-50 minutes to drive about 30 miles.

The thing you have to worry about is that if there is an accident, all bets are off, and that happens waaay too often. Find an austin radio station and listen carefully to the trafic reports.

The best street for general access to areas downtown is 6th street, due to its syncronized traffic lights. 31 mph on 6th street will take you all the way west with NO stops. There is also free parking under I-35 there. The exit SUCKS because it is less than a hudred feet to go from freeway speeds to a dead stop though.

You will find no speed traps northbound from about the San Marcos outlet malls to the southern edge of Austin. When you approach the toll road exit, slow down to the speed limit. APD has a highway division, and they sit there constantly. APD VERY heavily patrols I-35 northbound and southbound with speed traps.

EDIT

In all my way-too-much-information rambling, I didn't answer your question directly.

Yes, leaving San Antonio at 8:30 should be enough time to get to downtown Austin by 11pm. Map out some alternate routes in case there is an accident on I-35 though. It happens often.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    What happened to that bullet train from SA to Austin,was extending the river walk more important?

Buddy Holly.......paging.... Buddy Holly....

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I made the commute from SA to Austin daily for six months, and it generally took about an hour and fifteen minutes. Leaving at 8:30 should get you there bu about 9:45.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes, leaving San Antonio at 8:30 should be enough time to get to downtown Austin by 11pm. Map out some alternate routes in case there is an accident on I-35 though. It happens often.
    More like 10:30am. Looking over this, I realized that makes the trip time 2.5 hours. It would be more like 2hrs, tops, especially since you are not driving to parts north.

You will have plenty of time. Cyrano is about right, although it depends a bit on WHICH parts of Austin you are getting to and where in SA you are coming from.

Thread Information