Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Washington Post's Dana Milbank was not impressed with Senator Biden's performance yesterday:

The hearing proceed[ed] rather calmly and respectfully -- until Biden had his turn. The senator sought to extend -- and, indeed, torture -- Roberts's baseball metaphor from Monday. "The founders never set a strike zone," Biden reported, and Roberts smiled politely. Biden spent nearly nine of his 30 minutes of question time delivering an opening statement, then said: "Let me get right to it."

Biden, skipping the stare decisis, asked Roberts directly about abortion.

"That is in an area where I think I should not respond," Roberts said.

"Why?" Biden demanded. When Roberts tried to explain himself, Biden interjected "that is not true" and, shaking his head sadly, said, "aw, judge, judge."

Specter tried to referee. "Wait a minute, Senator Biden," the chairman said. "He's not finished his answer."

"He's filibustering, senator," Biden responded.

To Roberts, Biden said: "Go ahead. Go ahead and continue not to answer."

Biden was caustic and personal. Discussing an old Roberts memo on gender discrimination, the senator accused Roberts of "very poor staff work" and said: "I hope you don't still hold that view, man."

Roberts got his revenge when Biden quizzed him about gender discrimination. Biden cut the judge off repeatedly, saying "my time's running out."

While Biden fired off a series of questions without allowing Roberts to answer, the nominee finally replied: "Well, I was about to lay it out. You said you didn't want to hear about it." The room filled with laughter. Biden did not smile.
    Nice.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dana Milbank hit the nail on the head. Biden came across as a snarling, mean-spirited beligerent jerk. He showed terrible disrespect toward someone who will likely become the next Supreme Court Chief Justice. He should absolutely be vigorous and even agressive in his questioning of Roberts, but this condescending, practically loathing at ude he has adopted toward the judge is really inappropriate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I told you. I don't care what his political affiliation is...an asshole is an asshole. And from what I saw yesterday, that guy is a BIG ONE.

He showed terrible disrespect for someone who will likely become the next Supreme Court Chief Justice.

That was my first thought.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden probably stole those lines from someone else...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden clearly set out to attempt to fluster Roberts. Oddly enough, I wouldn't have a problem with Biden as president, which is what he seems to be campaigning for as of yesterday.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Biden To Roberts: 'You're The Best'

Exclusive Drudge sources in the U.S. Senate's Hart Building heard Democrat Sen. Joe Biden say to Judge John G. Roberts in a private conversation on the hearing room floor: 'You're the best I've ever seen before the committee'...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden probably stole those lines from someone else...
    Ted Kennedy?

Thread Information