Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes people believe that Neal+Blair can bring in a first round pick? Teams aren't looking to dump potential talents for a ridiculously undersized center and a shooter that's non-existent on D.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes people believe that Neal+Blair can bring in a first round pick? Teams aren't looking to dump potential talents for a ridiculously undersized center and a shooter that's non-existent on D.
    I don't know that they can (in fact, I'm almost certain Neal can't). But a mid to late 2nd? I don't buy that. They're both useful, young, inexpensive (granted, that's going to change in both cases in a year; but even then, it's not like either is going to break the bank) rotation players, who have been in a winning, team oriented environment for multiple years.

See, there's two problems here. One is, as Spurs fans, we watch them on a consistent basis and nitpick everything about them. Two is, as Spurs fans, we've become conditioned to view everything through the lens or within' the context of a championship. But the reality is, most teams are just looking to stock their rosters with talent, particularly talent that possesses many of the qualities I mentioned. So on a championship team, is Blair a competent third big or is Neal a sixth man? Absolutely not. But on some run of the mill team, can they be? Absolutely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as Spurs fans, we've become conditioned to view everything through the lens or within' the context of a championship. But the reality is, most teams are just looking to stock their rosters with talent, particularly talent that possesses many of the qualities I mentioned. So on a championship team, is Blair a competent third big or is Neal a sixth man? Absolutely not. But on some run of the mill team, can they be? Absolutely.
    I can buy that. Still though, I believe Neal+Blair can get us, at best, a pick between 30-45. They can't get us lottery picks, and the late first rounders are held by contending teams that will probably want to cultivate who they pick, rather than take our scraps. Early second round is the best bet, IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe next year after which the spurs have to make a decision whether or not to resign the guy. He's a solid player and I think should stick around a while. I just think folks in here had unreasonable expectations about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe next year after which the spurs have to make a decision whether or not to resign the guy. He's a solid player and I think should stick around a while. I just think folks in here had unreasonable expectations about him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter's value depends entirely on whether this season's pre-injury form was fluky or real, tbh..

It seems like an eternity ago, but prior to Splitter's first injury, he displayed a much improved post-up game, with fluid moves, and a soft touch at the basket..outside of that stretch, Splitter's post-game has been atrocious..

Was that stretch of post-up play a fluke, or was it improvement that was derailed by injury?..

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    We were able to trade Hill because we were going to get similar (emphasis on similar) value from Neal and had the opportunity to bolster a position of need @ SF. We don't have that luxury with Splitter, and given his overall skill set, experience, and maturity, I wouldn't gamble on a rook.
    Splitter/Bonner/Blair/parts for Okafor and #10. Sign Diaw. Bring over Lorbek. Draft another stud wing player at 10. Go to war with:

Tim
    Diaw
    Okafor
    Lorbek

Every big can play with every other big. The worst offensive combo would likely be Tim/Okafor, since neither shoots the long ball. That's your best defensive combo, though, so it's a wash. N.O. gets huge cap relief, like $20M+. They can cut Blair right away (if they want), and Bonner is only guaranteed next season. Splitter is a true asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With regard to this article, Tiago played very low minutes in the WCF. The first three games he played 13, 11, and 12 minutes. The rest of the games were lower. In game two he shot 4-5. Is it fair to blame our defensive lapses, with Tim on the bench, mostly on him. He did seem to spell Tim in games 1 & 2 where we obviously won. Is it realistic to think we are going to find a better 5 to fill in for Tim in his remaining years. It's not like he ever has or ever will play next to Tim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm confident pop and rc will make a decent move.
    i really hope so.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs should try to go long and athletic players if possible. We've already seen how well Kawhi's length helps him. Imagine if he was 6'9. He would be a defensive monster.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs should try to go long and athletic players if possible. We've already seen how well Kawhi's length helps him. Imagine if he was 6'9. He would be a defensive monster.
    He's going to be one, anyway. You don't have to be 6'9". Bowen wasn't.

Till the wheels fall off. iManu's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter/Bonner/Blair/parts for Okafor and #10. Sign Diaw. Bring over Lorbek. Draft another stud wing player at 10. Go to war with:

Tim
    Diaw
    Okafor
    Lorbek

Every big can play with every other big. The worst offensive combo would likely be Tim/Okafor, since neither shoots the long ball. That's your best defensive combo, though, so it's a wash. N.O. gets huge cap relief, like $20M+. They can cut Blair right away (if they want), and Bonner is only guaranteed next season. Splitter is a true asset.

If we could pull off:

Tim
    Diaw
    Okafor
    Lorbek
    Sullinger

We would be the favorites (along with the Thunder, Heat, and wherever Howard goes, as long as it's not with the Magic).

But, everyone says in this option it's either Diaw or Lorbek, if Sullinger's there (I don't think there's a chance in ), I think we can take a gamble with Lorbek.

Tim
    Okafor
    Lorbek
    Sullinger
    Cheap Seven footer that can breathe (even like a Mikki Moore).

We might be sometimes defensively undersized when Tim or Okafor aren't on the floor, but my God Sullinger has two good knees and can be a perennial all star.

If we CAN get Diaw AND Lorbek, then we could take a swing on a swing man at 10 if Sullinger isn't there (I think that our bigs should be defensive bigs, and I'm even afraid that Diaw is too passive with his shot to be effective, unless he can start shooting threes with a clip).

Tim
    Okafor
    Lorbek
    Diaw
    Scrub 7'0 (a la Mikki Moore).
    #10 (SG Dion Waiters)

This would be awesomeness.

I don't know if Michael Jordan is crazy, but Kwame Brown says that he is:
    Tony Parker, Blair, Picks, Money, and I will personally give a Blowjob for #2.
    (Based on Jordan's love that the Bobcats would have star power and can use cap and shop DJ or Kemba for a vet big.)

And the Hornets would do well if:
    Splitter, Bonner, Neal and picks for the #10 and Okafor.

Thomas Robinson
    Duncan
    Okafor
    Lorbek
    Scrub 7.0

Starting 5:

Damian Lillard (Worst case scenario Kendall Marshall)
    Stephen Jackson
    Kawhi Leonard
    Thomas Robinson
    Timothy Duncan

Manu Ginobili
    Nando Calrissian
    Emeka Okafor
    Erazem Lorbek
    Cory Joseph
    Patty Mills
    Scrub 7.0

That's a of a defensive team (with a point guard who can shoot the 3).

We could give away all of our picks for years in this scenario to make this work and it WOULD NOT even matter, because we would already be rebuilt.

Lillard
    De Colo
    Leonard
    Lorbek
    Robinson

That is a young team with 3 possible All Stars (Lillard, Leonard, Robinson) and a max contract to offer to a 4th.

Till the wheels fall off. iManu's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I imagine that the Hornets will want Lillard, though, they could use another chance at a CP3.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter's value depends entirely on whether this season's pre-injury form was fluky or real, tbh..

It seems like an eternity ago, but prior to Splitter's first injury, he displayed a much improved post-up game, with fluid moves, and a soft touch at the basket..outside of that stretch, Splitter's post-game has been atrocious..

Was that stretch of post-up play a fluke, or was it improvement that was derailed by injury?..
    I forgot the injury but I do recall that 10 day stretch when he was in god mode down on the low block. Ninja was salivating over him on the telecasts. He was shooting something like 70% on the low block backing players down. If the Spurs can get that player back, then I think you would hold on to him, even with his defensive shortcomings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is why I think Dominic McGuire would make a great fit for the Spurs, 6'9, can play multiple positions: Good rebounder/shot blocker/steal - stat sheet stuffer. The key is to get guys that are 6'7 - 6'9 that can play multiple spots on the floor (and defend).

Never tell me the odds- Kuestmaster's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone that thinks we'll get sullinger is delusional

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot the injury but I do recall that 10 day stretch when he was in god mode down on the low block. Ninja was salivating over him on the telecasts. He was shooting something like 70% on the low block backing players down. If the Spurs can get that player back, then I think you would hold on to him, even with his defensive shortcomings.
    He was getting reps during that stretch. Duncan sat a couple of b2b's and Tiago was getting more minutes and more shots. His post-up attempts dropped dramatically after the all-star break.

His spacing, off-ball movement and passing were well above average, but he really needed to work on adjusting to the athleticism of NBA bigs. The only way he was going to get better in the post was to get more attempts in the post. Outside of a few games here and there, Tiago never really got that opportunity. And it's not like he was hurting the team with his post-up offense; he ended the season with a higher post-up FG% than Duncan.

No one can argue that Tiago's offensive game wasn't incredibly efficient and impactful during the regular season. Overall, his defense was average to above average, but on offense he made the most out of every minute he got. Tiago can certainly be more than a pick-n-roll player, but he's going to need minutes and he's going to need reps. If the Spurs can't figure out a way to play him with Duncan, then they need to find a player who can.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was getting reps during that stretch. Duncan sat a couple of b2b's and Tiago was getting more minutes and more shots. His post-up attempts dropped dramatically after the all-star break.

His spacing, off-ball movement and passing were well above average, but he really needed to work on adjusting to the athleticism of NBA bigs. The only way he was going to get better in the post was to get more attempts in the post. Outside of a few games here and there, Tiago never really got that opportunity. And it's not like he was hurting the team with his post-up offense; he ended the season with a higher post-up FG% than Duncan.

No one can argue that Tiago's offensive game wasn't incredibly efficient and impactful during the regular season. Overall, his defense was average to above average, but on offense he made the most out of every minute he got. Tiago can certainly be more than a pick-n-roll player, but he's going to need minutes and he's going to need reps. If the Spurs can't figure out a way to play him with Duncan, then they need to find a player who can.
    Good points. In the end, I think they should test the market with Tiago, mainly because Pop doesn't want to play him with Tim, and I'm not convinced Pop believes in Tiago either. Unfortunately, the lasting image for Tiago for the season will probably be Pop going ballistic and yanking him after what may or may not have been a bad play -- not exactly something to boost his trade value. On the other hand, I'd like to think the non-idiot GM's can see his worth statistically, and see that he has a good future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump.

Obviously if the Spurs explored Splitter's trade value during the draft, they didn't find something to their liking. But that was before the Omer Asik deal that landed an offensively challenged, limited upside 26yr old $8M/yr for the next three.

I don't know what the Spurs FO had gauged his market value at before the deal, but I would assume the $8M/yr floor presented in the scenario above probably wasn't it. Given that, do you think the Spurs will actively look to flip Splitter this offseason or before the deadline to bring back value that's controlled at a lower number for the next two/three years? Or is he too valuable to their championship chances?

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This offseason, Asik has shown that Splitter is a bargain. Bargains are what the Spurs need to reach timvp's 3% last last stand.
    Me, I want the 3%.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we able to negotiate an extension with him now? If we are it might be a good idea just to see what he is after. If he wants 8-10 million a year then we know we need to explore trading him now because we can't afford to pay that much for what he brings to the table. If he is content with 3 or 4 year deal in the range of 5 or 6 million a year it might be worthwhile to lock him up. He is a quality player and even if he doesn't fit here teams will not be afraid of taking on that contract for a talent like Splitter. This would all be after the major free agent chips have fallen, specifically llyasova. If we could turn Splitter and some combo of Bonner, Blair, or Neal into a sign and trade for llyasova that would be a big upgrade in my opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we able to negotiate an extension with him now?
    No.

He's on a 3-year contract. Contracts must be at least for 4 years to be extended.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks.

Thread Information