on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    This thread is hilarious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you annoyed with Cubes? He's one of the best owners in sports. I'd want to have guys like him who are committed and passionate about winning.
    Well, he's a loud mouth, a cry baby, and a smug prick. Other than that he's fine.

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    This reminds me of the Mavs of years past. Throw a lot of money around and try to get name players. Their le year they went away from that and got a team that was constructed to have role players and play defense. The thing is - this year's team is full of name players with question marks so it's probably more of a move to save face with the fans then expect to win. Cuban rolled the dice to get Deron and Howard. He probably should have kept Chandler, but he took a chance and it didn't work. This is making lemonade but it could have been much worse.
    wow

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    LMAO spur fan is buttmad as holy

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The question for Mavs fans is this:

Would you rather have had the same returning cast (CHANDLER, Barea, Stevenson and maybe even Butler) back to defend last year and moving forward, never getting the silly chance to swing and miss at Williams and Howard..

or

thrown away the chance to repeat and a season later end up with Mayo, Collison, Brand and Kaman.

Personally I would have chose the former.

Granted, hindsight is 20/20, but throwing away a shot to keep the team together and make another run has to sting for Mavsfan.
    This + 1,000

Truth, justice, and the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs are competing with the Celtics to be the old and washed up team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet mavfan is sold on being contenders again. Sad.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    LMAO spur fan is buttmad as holy
    Buttmad? Hardly. The only one of those players I would have liked on the Spurs would have been Brand, and we can sign him away from you next year as Cuban tilts at more free agent windmills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs have really screwed up since their championship. Letting Chandler go, and thus basically deciding not to defend their ring, was a major mistake, and this squad they've assembled after missing out on DWill and D12 will finish 7-10th in the West.

Still, their plan is clearly to make a big run at an FA next season - all the guys they've brought in have been expirings or 1yr contracts (except Mayo, 2yrs $8mil, 2nd year player option that could easily be bought out by Cuban, so effectively a 1yr contract if they want it to be), so they'll have plenty of capspace next summer.

@Mavs fans who think these acquisitions are about anything other than next year's FA market.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get a ing grip. The Mavs will have a full training camp and I'm sure Dirk will show up in shape and not in hangover mode. We're at least as good now as the Grizz, Clips and Nugs. Assuming relative health, Dallas will be in the playoffs, not the lottery, and has a ceiling of winning a series.

Hey, guess who else has a full training camp: The Grizz, Clips and Nuggs. You'd really better pray that Dirk is in beast mode, because that's the only prayer they have. I figure you guys would have learned your lesson from Mark Cuban picking up players like they're trading cards in the past. Just because the name is recognizable doesn't mean he's any good.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Hey, guess who else has a full training camp: The Grizz, Clips and Nuggs. You'd really better pray that Dirk is in beast mode, because that's the only prayer they have. I figure you guys would have learned your lesson from Mark Cuban picking up players like they're trading cards in the past. Just because the name is recognizable doesn't mean he's any good.
    Collison > Kidd
    In shape, motivated and rested Dirk > Fat, happy, championship hungover Dirk
    Kaman > Haywood
    Brand > Butthurt can't even bother to try Odom

At worst Mayo is a tiny downgrade from Terry and considering he is a much better defender it's probably a wash.

The team they put out on the floor at the end of last season went down to the wire three times against OKC in their first-round series. They upgraded at four positions, will be better and in the playoffs.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought about trolling you just for a laugh, but you took the time to respond, so you deserve better than that. We're probably going to disagree, but here's my thinking:

Collison > Kidd
    One would hope. The worrying point is that Collison lost his job to George Hill. I can tell you from experience that George Hill <<<<< Kidd. The Mavs have historically leaned on Kidd to step up in the postseason. Collison scored three points a game in a backup role in Indiana in the playoffs. He's certainly got the talent to figure it out, but so does Beaubois, and that's nobody's running out to bet on him. Kidd was about to fall off the end of the world physically at any moment, so it may have been a blessing to lose him, and you couldn't have asked for more for Mahinmi. Thanks, Pop!

In shape, motivated and rested Dirk > Fat, happy, championship hungover Dirk
    The difference in Dirk from last year to the year before (regular season) was one point per game, and it was mostly due to field goal percentage. Yes, if Dirk decides to go beast mode in the postseason like he did in 2011 they are instantly much better, but there's no Tyson Chandler anymore to couple with it, so getting there for him is half the battle. You don't want to have to ride him for 82 games just to qualify.

Kaman > Haywood
    I'd go you one better and say Kaman > Haywood and Mahinmi, but that's only if Kaman can stay healthy. Those two gave you 40 minutes a night. Kaman won't survive that.

Brand > Butthurt can't even bother to try Odom
    That's a given. You could realistically put Dirk, Brand and Kaman on the floor at the same time in certain situations. That deals with a lot of size against west teams.

At worst Mayo is a tiny downgrade from Terry and considering he is a much better defender it's probably a wash.
    Much higher ceiling than Jet at this point, too. He's got the potential to be an elite scorer. I keep expecting him to suddenly figure it out. Still not too late.

The team they put out on the floor at the end of last season went down to the wire three times against OKC in their first-round series. They upgraded at four positions, will be better and in the playoffs.
    You're taking an awful lot on faith that things will just fall into place. What you state above is best-case-scenario. Otherwise they'll be a " -team" again, which is what all Mavs teams that lose automatically become to the fans. Losing four in a row isn't close, and there's no moral victory to that. Again, speaking from experience.

Considering the massive kick in the nuts this summer started out for you guys, you have to be elated just to have reason to be optimistic.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't disagree with most of your post - mavs definitely improved - but this is an oft repeated myth that keeps coming up.

Mayo picks CP3's pocket once or twice in the playoffs, and now the rest of the league thinks he's a good defender. Numbers don't back it. Eye test doesn't help much more.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Don't disagree with most of your post - mavs definitely improved - but this is an oft repeated myth that keeps coming up.

Mayo picks CP3's pocket once or twice in the playoffs, and now the rest of the league thinks he's a good defender. Numbers don't back it. Eye test doesn't help much more.
    But Terry is a lousy defender. Mayo really regressed on offense the last couple of years - two years ago he averaged 17 on 45 percent shooting. Last year it was down to 12 ppg on 40% shooting. Jet and Dirk in the p'n'r was our bread and butter on offense the last five minutes of a game. So offensively I have to give a substantial edge to Terry.

I do think Mayo has a chance to improve on offense getting better looks playing off Dirk. Terry shot very well in Dallas after being a low-volume chucker in Atlanta.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Terry is a lousy defender. Mayo really regressed on offense the last couple of years - two years ago he averaged 17 on 45 percent shooting. Last year it was down to 12 ppg on 40% shooting. Jet and Dirk in the p'n'r was our bread and butter on offense the last five minutes of a game. So offensively I have to give a substantial edge to Terry.

I do think Mayo has a chance to improve on offense getting better looks playing off Dirk. Terry shot very well in Dallas after being a low-volume chucker in Atlanta.
    That's true, Mayo's a better athlete at this stage, so there is reason to believe that he can improve defensively - especially under Carlisle.

I will say that Terry - despite being a hypocritical bag - did have a winner's desire and seemed like a good teammate. That would be against Mayo's MO for the most part, but if he truly did take less money to play in Dallas (the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this is a Joe Smith situation), that might indicate a turn of course in his career.

Thread Information