Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ this...and Timvp is the foremost guy playing mind games with Spur fan...he knows Gasol is and he's doing everything he can to play into the false narrative that AB would be a downgrade to PG...If we land AB and Calderon it's over for the West
    My multi-year scoffing of Bargnani has been a prolonged mind game for this instance when the Lakers were going to trade a player one year removed from being decidedly above average for a player who very well might be the worst player in the NBA? Damn I'm good, apparently.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Hyperbolic question.

Relevant examples? Personally, I wasn't happy about D-Ho trade or the Nash trade. Even in retrospect, even factoring in the Lakers slow start, those were still great trades.

Who ignores that? Despite his inevitable decline, which has be exacerbated due to playing out of position, he's still obviously talented. Besides, plenty of players on the downside of their careers have been part of a championship team.

Which is fluke-ishly low and bound to improve.

Hyperbole.

No you're not.

Have you seen Bustnani play?

He was really good as recently as last season.

Gasol is a much better defender than Bustnani. You, hopefully, know this.

Bustnani hasn't shown any signs of improvement in a few years now. In fact, he's unquestionably getting worse.

Fit Gasol properly in the offensive sets, which Coach Kobe and Coach D'Antoni both say will happen and is currently a work in progress, and he'll improve.

Bustnani has to improve a lot just to reach Gasol's depressed current state. You'd rather bet on that then let Gasol figure out how to work next to D-Ho? Even now with Nash back? That is ............ interesting.

Is that really so much more enlightened then "derp derp Gasol sucks because his fiance left let's trade him for Bustnani who will undoubtedly improve drastically simply by coming to sunny California derp"? Maybe it is and I'm just not seeing it.

Lying about what, exactly? You think I just started scoffing Bustnani when I heard Laker Fan wanted him?
    Oh, so you think the better plan is to hope 32 y/o (and aging) Gasol snaps out of his 2+ year slumber and starts to play like his 2008-2010 days...or any days when he actually gave a for that matter?

Sound, reasonable plan.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Is this actually Deadly Dynasty? Because he brings nothing but incredibly ty, irishock-like takes. Just an imbecile all-around.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Also, are you really comparing AB going through the motions with Gasol doing the same? AB is in an endlessly hopeless situation on the Raptors, while Gasol plays for the 2nd best franchise in sports (behind NYY) and has all the help around him.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    My multi-year scoffing of Bargnani has been a prolonged mind game for this instance when the Lakers were going to trade a player one year removed from being decidedly above average for a player who very well might be the worst player in the NBA? Damn I'm good, apparently.
    yeah ok..listen never under estimate the power of the Mitch Kupchack hype machine...and furthermore I've never heard you utter a word about AB until recently....you scared of a Pau for AB and Calderon deal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with the chimp and DD that Andrea would be a better fit for the Lakers' fun-n-gun pussy version of basketball than Gasol is right now. By no means a savior or a messiah. Unless a major roster and system shakeup happens, Lakers still getting stomped in the 2nd round. But the Lakers need a stretch 4, and AB is really the only one available.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I agree with the chimp and DD that Andrea would be a better fit for the Lakers' fun-n-gun pussy version of basketball than Gasol is right now. By no means a savior or a messiah. Unless a major roster and system shakeup happens, Lakers still getting stomped in the 2nd round. But the Lakers need a stretch 4, and AB is really the only one available.
    Hey boo...your avatar pic is starting to look sexier and sexier....

I'm just playing

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Also, i dont think this guy is a savior and never said as much. Put either guy in there and the Heat would still stomp them. In fact, most of you could be right, but who knows. What we do know is that the status quo isnt good enough. I cant remember a moment since that Game 7 where i thought, "i'm glad we had Gasol for that game."

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I agree with the chimp and DD that Andrea would be a better fit for the Lakers' fun-n-gun pussy version of basketball than Gasol is right now.
    Theoretically, but in reality, Bargs is a terrible player and locker room cancer....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, so you think the better plan is to hope 32 y/o (and aging) Gasol
    Thanks for aging reminder.

snaps out of his 2+ year slumber and starts to play like his 2008-2010 days
    1. Gasol was pretty damn good in 2010-11. Last year, he was still good.

2. Bargnani is in a career slumber. At his very best, he's a one-dimensional scorer with halfway competent effeciency.

3. The Lakers don't need Gasol to play like he did during the championship days. He's a fourth option nowadays rather than being the undisputed option in the post. If he returns to last year's level of play and the top three options figure out how click, the Lakers have the most talented team in the conference with only OKC comparable.

Sound, reasonable plan.
    Gasol turning back time one or maybe two seasons is more reasonable than expecting Bustnani to improve enough to be anything more than an Italian Antawn Jamison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for aging reminder.

1. Gasol was pretty damn good in 2010-11. Last year, he was still good.

2. Bargnani is in a career slumber. At his very best, he's a one-dimensional scorer with halfway competent effeciency.

3. The Lakers don't need Gasol to play like he did during the championship days. He's a fourth option nowadays rather than being the undisputed option in the post. If he returns to last year's level of play and the top three options figure out how click, the Lakers have the most talented team in the conference with only OKC comparable.

Gasol turning back time one or maybe two seasons is more reasonable than expecting Bustnani to improve enough to be anything more than an Italian Antawn Jamison.
    D'Antoni just blew his load.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    LJ, in your honest opinion, how far does a currently-constructed Lakers team go? Not potential, how far do you think they realistically go--like if you had to put money on it, etc?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, are you really comparing AB going through the motions with Gasol doing the same? AB is in an endlessly hopeless situation on the Raptors, while Gasol plays for the 2nd best franchise in sports (behind NYY) and has all the help around him.
    Uh, yeah, except when Gasol was with the Grizzlies and in "an endlessly hopeless situation" he lifted a team with even less talent to the playoffs. Bustnani, on the other hand, makes his already horrible team even worse. That can't get more clear than when the Raptors won 4 of 22 with him and then won five in a row without him.

and furthermore I've never heard you utter a word about AB until recently
    Hear harder.

Also, i dont think this guy is a savior and never said as much. Put either guy in there and the Heat would still stomp them. In fact, most of you could be right, but who knows. What we do know is that the status quo isnt good enough. I cant remember a moment since that Game 7 where i thought, "i'm glad we had Gasol for that game."
    Honestly, as much as it's enjoyable to laugh at the Lakers, I don't understand the panic. They've had their complete team for what ... three games? Two and a half games? Of course not everyone is going to be fed when the point guards are the rotting corpse of Chris Duhon and some random black guy apparently named Morris. Kobe gon' get his. D-Ho stands in the middle of the paint all game so he'll get his touches. Gasol sucking when there's no point guard to distribute the ball makes sense ... to me at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D'Antoni just blew his load.

LJ, in your honest opinion, how far does a currently-constructed Lakers team go? Not potential, how far do you think they realistically go--like if you had to put money on it, etc?
    Currently constructed, I honestly (no shtick) believe they are legit contenders. Their ceiling is probably higher than any team outside of maybe Miami. Nash is going to have to stay healthy, Gasol will have to get healthy and they'll have to start playing like they don't absolutely hate each other ... but the tools are there.

I'd say they have a 35% shot of making the WCF. I'd put it higher if D'Antoni stops running the starters into the ground.

Do the Bustnani trade and even if the Lakers also get Calderon, I'd drop it to 15%. If L.A. wants a stretch four so bad, just play the American Antawn Jamison or play MWP there. No need to trade for the least compe ive basketball player in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, yeah, except when Gasol was with the Grizzlies and in "an endlessly hopeless situation" he lifted a team with even less talent to the playoffs. Bustnani, on the other hand, makes his already horrible team even worse. That can't get more clear than when the Raptors won 4 of 22 with him and then won five in a row without him.

Hear harder.

Honestly, as much as it's enjoyable to laugh at the Lakers, I don't understand the panic. They've had their complete team for what ... three games? Two and a half games? Of course not everyone is going to be fed when the point guards are the rotting corpse of Chris Duhon and some random black guy apparently named Morris. Kobe gon' get his. D-Ho stands in the middle of the paint all game so he'll get his touches. Gasol sucking when there's no point guard to distribute the ball makes sense ... to me at least.
    I think Gasol sucking has more to do with the fact that D'Antoni is trying to turn him into Bargnani than with the lack of a legitimate point guard.

And Lakers fans' panic is justified. The team is just not very good. Structurally a mess. Unathletic. Atrocious defensively (which will get even worse now that the Messiah has returned). All playing within a system that has proven, time and time again, to fail in the post-season.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Currently constructed, I honestly (no shtick) believe they are legit contenders. Their ceiling is probably higher than any team outside of maybe Miami. Nash is going to have to stay healthy, Gasol will have to get healthy and they'll have to start playing like they don't absolutely hate each other ... but the tools are there.

I'd say they have a 35% shot of making the WCF. I'd put it higher if D'Antoni stops running the starters into the ground.

Do the Bustnani trade and even if the Lakers also get Calderon, I'd drop it to 15%. If L.A. wants a stretch four so bad, just play the American Antawn Jamison or play MWP there. No need to trade for the least compe ive basketball player in the NBA.

^ Kori must be Bustnani's Ex....some Halle Berry baby daddy drama type

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The "panic" or frustration lies in expectations. We expect the big 4 to play well and impact the game. Nash has only played a handful of games, so it's too early to tell with him. Too early to tell with Howard too, who is coming off back surgery...he returned to the court ahead of schedule and it's obviously taking some time to regain all his athleticism (if he ever does). His rampant foul troubles are some evidence of this, imo. Kobe is Kobe, for better or worse, which leaves Gasol.

He's been banged up as well, but the games he played he was a virtual nonfactor. This is why theres such negativity. He's been largely unimpactful the past couple seasons and thats difficult to accept for a player of his skill level. Now we're left to remain patient in hopes he finds the long-lost motivation and hits his groove.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at thinking that Bustnani could help the Lakers

Thread Information