Post Count
    What $ does Manu get?

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say all we know so far is:
    a) He'll resign here
    b) It'll be for less than his current deal.

How much he'll get paid will likely depend on performance in playoffs, and whether any trade scenarios/free agents are available that mean Manu will take less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only 3 players (Garnett, Duncan and Nash) are older than Ginobili and paid more than $5M. All 3 are former MVPs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One other thing to note - there is a rule about giving long contracts to older players: The over 36 Rule
    It is very unlikely that Manu will get a long deal, but potentially we could offer him a 3 year contract, expecting him to retire after 2. This mean we could pay him more with less of a cap penalty. eg $10m/2years is a $5 million cap space, but $12 million/3years is a $4 million cap space...
    Last edited by pad300; 03-14-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Fixing BB Code

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only 3 players (Garnett, Duncan and Nash) are older than Ginobili and paid more than $5M. All 3 are former MVPs.
    Didn't Camby get a $11m deal from Portland in 2010-2011 at 36?

Not saying Manu should get that, I think $3m-$4m range will be enough to keep him.

Interesting too is that after Tim, Nash and KG, Manu is ranked 4th with the highest PER at 35+ years old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One other thing to note - there is a rule about giving long contracts to older players: The over 36 Rule
    It is very unlikely that Manu will get a long deal, but potentially we could offer him a 3 year contract, expecting him to retire after 2. This mean we could pay him more with less of a cap penalty. eg $10m/2years is a $5 million cap space, but $12 million/3years is a $4 million cap space...
    That over 36 rule is very complicated. It seems to only talk about players signing for 4 years or more, does anyone know if it applies on contracts 3 years or less?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not saying Manu should get that, I think $3m-$4m range will be enough to keep him.

Interesting too is that after Tim, Nash and KG, Manu is ranked 4th with the highest PER at 35+ years old.
    Manu will get something slightly above the MLE.

That over 36 rule is very complicated. It seems to only talk about players signing for 4 years or more, does anyone know if it applies on contracts 3 years or less?
    It seems clear that it only applies to contracts of 4 years or longer. Duncan, Garnett, and Nash all signed 3 year contracts last summer and there was no mention of the over 36 rule.

Pop, the Mastermind superjames1992's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Manu has aged better than most, though, tbh.

Most players really drop off by their mid-30s, but even though Manu has fallen off some and has struggled at times this year, in most respects he's still pretty good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I was talking about players that are earning more money than Ginobili while being older for this season. In the past, you can find many examples of 36+ years old players being paid more than $5M per year. There were mostly pas firs PGs or bigmen with size, the two kind of players that are aging the best.

$3M/$4M per years seems too low for Ginoibli, I would more go with $6M/$8M per year with a two years contract.

I think Manu has aged better than most, though, tbh.
    I want to see what Manu will do in the playoffs before deciding whether or not he is aging well.
    Last edited by Bruno; 03-21-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love Manu but would not pay him more then 5 mill a year..3 year deal with last Spurs option.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Seconde time in my career being a FA. Last time was 2004. Lets see what happens in the following days.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A symbolic contract would be $3,229,020.
    $30 less than Ray Allen, but I like the "20."

Thread Information