Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Seriously though, I think Ballmer is just going to wait out the lease or even pay to break it to bring the NBA back to Seattle in a few years. The sheer amount of money he put into it makes me think he wants the Sonics to be his legacy.
    For the millionth time, the league won't allow it, and the purchase agreement says in writing that the team cannot be moved out of LA.... and the money he spent is actually a counterargument to moving to Seattle, as nobody is going to spend $2 billion on something only to purposely devalue it

There is one possibility for him to bring the NBA back to Seattle, though - since we currently don't have a D-League affiliate, maybe he could establish one in Seattle and get the fans to actually support the team in order to make a case for an expansion team down the road....

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the millionth time, the league won't allow it, and the purchase agreement says in writing that the team cannot be moved out of LA....
    Got a link to that? Does that agreement go into perpetuity? I think that would be highly unlikely.
    and the money he spent is actually a counterargument to moving to Seattle, as nobody is going to spend $2 billion on something only to purposely devalue it
    Actually the money spent shows he doesn't really give a about the money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What compelling interest is there for the NBA to keep the Clippers in Los Angeles forever that they would require that in a contract?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What compelling interest is there for the NBA to keep the Clippers in Los Angeles forever that they would require that in a contract?
    the nba probably likes having teams in giant markets

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Got a link to that?
    Purchase agreement:

I don't know for sure if it goes into perpetuity, but I'd imagine it does, otherwise Media would already be using any time limit on that clause to give Seattle fans false hope...

League not allowing it:

Ballmer's own words on the matter:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the nba probably likes having teams in giant markets
    Sure but in terms of actual viewers, it's not like the Clippers draw as much as the Lakers do. If they just wanted money above everything else, they would have approved the bid to move the Sacramento Kings to Seattle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most of that is compelling except for "balmer's words"

i remember clay bennet's rhetoric too

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    There's no reason for the NBA to allow a team to move out of a top 2 media market in the nation without significant proof of hardship that just doesn't exist with the Clippers.... and no, being the "second team in town" is not even close to being a hardship worthy of relocation, tbh....

Another thing is that IIRC, before the Board of Governors votes to approve Ballmer as owner, he has to guarantee to them that he will not move the team of LA....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Purchase agreement:

I don't know for sure if it goes into perpetuity, but I'd imagine it does, otherwise Media would already be using any time limit on that clause to give Seattle fans false hope...

League not allowing it:

Ballmer's own words on the matter:
    Did only one person write about the sale?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Markazi and Shelburne are two of the more active LA sports reporters. shelburne is typically on top of laker stuff, markazi with clipper stuff

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Markazi and Shelburne are two of the more active LA sports reporters. shelburne is typically on top of laker stuff, markazi with clipper stuff
    In fairness, Shelbourne does a good job with both teams.... she and Mark Heisler actually scooped Woj over and over again during the Doc negotiations last summer while Woj was writing hit pieces that sounded like Danny Ainge ghostwrote them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fairness, Shelbourne does a good job with both teams.... she and Mark Heisler actually scooped Woj over and over again during the Doc negotiations last summer while Woj was writing hit pieces that sounded like Danny Ainge ghostwrote them
    momo and clipper smurf doing work tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no reason for the NBA to allow a team to move out of a top 2 media market in the nation without significant proof of hardship that just doesn't exist with the Clippers.... and no, being the "second team in town" is not even close to being a hardship worthy of relocation, tbh....

Another thing is that IIRC, before the Board of Governors votes to approve Ballmer as owner, he has to guarantee to them that he will not move the team of LA....
    OK, I'll wait and see what the new TV deal looks like. If it ends on or before the date of the lease expiration, I will still consider it a possibility.

When the lease gets renewed, I'll stop considering the possibility.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually the money spent shows he doesn't really give a about the money.
    This. I'm not saying he's moving the team, but I am saying that money won't be the reason he decides not to. This is a hobby for him, not a business.

Thread Information