Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DRtg is actually most accurate when comparing TEAMMATES. For example, Porker has the worst rating on the Spurs.
    No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'd have to crave like dum-dum.
    Kobe has a gay sex tape, so we have proof. Where is the proof on Duncan? Either you lodge proof or you stand down. We don't do gossip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defensive rating is a decent team stat. Straightforward. It's a horrible stat to evaluate individual defense. Guys like Mills, diaw, Parker, and Kevin love have high defensive ratings because they happen to be on good defensive teams. Carlos Boozer was notorious for having elite defensive ratings in Chicago despite being one of the worst individual defenders in the game. It's like taking a teams FG% and using that to call one of the players an efficient shooter.

Defensive rating is biased towards players that are surrounded with other good defensive players. On the other hand, RPM is a metric that is specifically designed to exclude contributions of other players.
    you clearly don't understand what being bias means, if there is anything that is biased are espn's ratings, just check how weird their numbers are and how you can just tell that based on them you can tell that guards suck at D and excel at O, which is ing re ed. defensive rating is as unbiased as a statistic can get for d, the problem is when people don't know how to use it and form theories and projections with it. That is why you have espn's statistics, but they are not pure and therefore they are less responsive to new trends and changes. That's also the reason why people hate +-, which to me is funny, because someone who hates +-, just means that he doesn't understand what +- tells..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you clearly don't understand what being bias means, if there is anything that is biased are espn's ratings, just check how weird their numbers are and how you can just tell that based on them you can tell that guards suck at D and excel at O, which is ing re ed. defensive rating is as unbiased as a statistic can get for d, the problem is when people don't know how to use it and form theories and projections with it. That is why you have espn's statistics, but they are not pure and therefore they are less responsive to new trends and changes. That's also the reason why people hate +-, which to me is funny, because someone who hates +-, just means that he doesn't understand what +- tells..
    Drtg as an individual stat favors players who are surrounded by other good defenders. Using it as a raw stat to compare Durant/Towns/Davis is just dumb

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drtg as an individual stat favors players who are surrounded by other good defenders. Using it as a raw stat to compare Durant/Towns/Davis is just dumb
    true, in a way, but think about what we were discussing about . The discussion was that if they can't eclipse him in defensive rating, how can you say that they are groundbreaking defenders? And if you can't, why would you take either of them ahead of a truly generational offensive player? Makes no sense to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true, in a way, but think about what we were discussing about . The discussion was that if they can't eclipse him in defensive rating, how can you say that they are groundbreaking defenders? And if you can't, why would you take either of them ahead of a truly generational offensive player? Makes no sense to me.
    There are defensive metrics outside of drtg which show Davis is a much better defender than those guys. Drtg is close to useless in this conversation, so it was stupid to bring that up to support a stance and say like "Davis isn't even a decent defender"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are defensive metrics outside of drtg which show Davis is a much better defender than those guys. Drtg is close to useless in this conversation, so it was stupid to bring that up to support a stance and say like "Davis isn't even a decent defender"
    well any defensive metric that is saying that anthony davis is a good defender this year, needs to check back itself because he has been awful and pathetic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well any defensive metric that is saying that anthony davis is a good defender this year, needs to check back itself because he has been awful and pathetic.
    Why, because you say so? The eye test?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why, because you say so? The eye test?
    you think he was good?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you think he was good?
    His defense gets overblown as some all time generational thing, but yeah he's a good defender on a bad defensive team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His defense gets overblown as some all time generational thing, but yeah he's a good defender on a bad defensive team
    So what is durant?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what is durant?
    Fairly average. His length makes him a presence but he usually isn't dialed in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fairly average. His length makes him a presence but he usually isn't dialed in
    And his team is..?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's clear you don't know what you're talking about. Bowen was tied with Barry and Udrih for worst DRtg in 2005. It is simply team DRtg with blocks, steals and rebounds added in. It says nothing about individual defense.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    It's clear you don't know what you're talking about. Bowen was tied with Barry and Udrih for worst DRtg in 2005. It is simply team DRtg with blocks, steals and rebounds added in. It says nothing about individual defense.
    Bruh, Bowen was mostly on the floor against elite scorers while Beno/Barry played against 2nd & 3rd stringers. Patty is worse than Tony on defense but he has a better DRtg b/c he plays against backups. Barry/Bowen basically averaged the same amount of blocks/rebounds/steals per 100 possessions so those stats weren't a factor.

Bottom line: Tony is the worst defender amongst the starters & Patty is the worst defender amongst the rest of the rotation players.

Anyone not named Daryl Morey knows you need more than pure analytics to judge a player.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 01-09-2016 at 05:18 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruh, Bowen was mostly on the floor against elite scorers while Beno/Barry played against 2nd & 3rd stringers. Patty is worse than Tony on defense but he has a better DRtg b/c he plays against backups.
    No. Bowen had a bad DRtg because that stat is agnostic to man defense. Leonard and Green go up against the best offensive players to, and they have no issue posting good DRtgs. Boozer was routinely roasted by opposing PFs and still carried an elite DRtg.

Barry/Bowen basically averaged the same amount of blocks/rebounds/steals per 100 possessions so those stats weren't a factor.
    Yeah, that's why they have the same DRtg. I don't get why you even brought that up since that was exactly my point.

Bottom line: Tony is the worst defender amongst the starters & Patty is the worst defender amongst the rest of the rotation players.
    Bottom line is that you didn't know what DRtg was and tried to use it to take a shot at Parker. Anyone with eyes can tell Tony is one of the weakest defenders on the team (though he's not as abysmal as he used to be). Saying so is a solid if boring take. But it's completely false that DRtg is useful for showing which teammates play the best defense.

Anyone not named Daryl Morey knows you need more than pure analytics to judge a player.
    Another throwaway line. We all know that, but that has nothing to do with the conversation.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    No. Bowen had a bad DRtg because that stat is agnostic to man defense. Leonard and Green go up against the best offensive players to, and they have no issue posting good DRtgs. Boozer was routinely roasted by opposing PFs and still carried an elite DRtg.
    Noah/Taj had a BETTER DRtg than than Boozer despite Boozer being BENCHED in the 4th quarter so he DOESN'T get roasted. Teams have their best lineups & pick on players in the 4th quarter. If you are going to claim he had a better DRtg than guys like Deng, well Duh! Boozer grabbed way more defensive rebounds & Deng actually played in the 4th quarter.

Yeah, that's why they have the same DRtg. I don't get why you even brought that up since that was exactly my point.
    Yeah b/c the algorithm is solely based on defensive rebounds, steals & blocks. Even then defensive rebounds, steals, blocks should be valued b/c they are part of what cons ute defensive stops so I don't see what's wrong with including them in the algorithm.

Just b/c two teammates (Barry/Bowen) that play in the same position have EXACTLY the same rebounds/steals/blocks & end up w/ the same DRtg you can't conclude it's b/c they had the same stats while ignoring the rest of the factors.

Bottom line is that you didn't know what DRtg was and tried to use it to take a shot at Parker. Anyone with eyes can tell Tony is one of the weakest defenders on the team (though he's not as abysmal as he used to be). Saying so is a solid if boring take. But it's completely false that DRtg is useful for showing which teammates play the best defense.
    I've been clowing folks using the Morey Vision to claim Whiteside is a great defender based on his DRtg. It's common knowledge that DRtgs favor big men b/c they can actually anchor a defense Sherlock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noah/Taj had a BETTER DRtg than than Boozer despite Boozer being BENCHED in the 4th quarter so he DOESN'T get roasted. Teams have their best lineups & pick on players in the 4th quarter. If you are going to claim he had a better DRtg than guys like Deng, well Duh! Boozer grabbed way more defensive rebounds & Deng actually played in the 4th quarter.

Yeah b/c the algorithm is solely based on defensive rebounds, steals & blocks. Even then defensive rebounds, steals, blocks should be valued b/c they are part of what cons ute defensive stops so I don't see what's wrong with including them in the algorithm.

Just b/c two teammates (Barry/Bowen) that play in the same position have EXACTLY the same rebounds/steals/blocks & end up w/ the same DRtg you can't conclude it's b/c they had the same stats while ignoring the rest of the factors.

I've been clowing folks using the Morey Vision to claim Whiteside is a great defender based on his DRtg. It's common knowledge that DRtgs favor big men b/c they can actually anchor a defense Sherlock.

not sure what you're talking about

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    [/B]not sure what you're talking about
    To anchor a defense you have to protect the rim & grab rebounds, a defensive possession doesn't end until the defense secures the rebound. Blocks/rebounds are factored in DRtg b/c of that reason & that's why big men are know as defensive anchors. But just b/c someone gets a lot of weakside blocks & chases rebounds like Whiteside it doesn't make them an elite OVERALL defender b/c there is this thing called PnR defense. Whiteside is an elite PAINT defender b/c he's at best mediocre outside of the paint.

Roy Hibbert: elite rim protector, okay rebounder, terrible outside of the paint but once was a defensive anchor before he got exposed by PnR offenses.

DRtgs favor bigs but it SHOULD b/c rebounding/rim protection ARE a vital part of the defense & it's the bigs that provide it.

If Draymond was a mediocre rebounder/rim protector then he wouldn't have been able to anchor a defense no matter his tenacity/IQ.

Point guards can't anchor a defense b/c all it takes is a screen to take them out of a play & they don't end the possession by grabbing the defensive rebounds nor do they protect the rim.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 01-09-2016 at 08:05 PM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the best number 1 pick since Lebron James.

Ive watched the wolves this year exentsively and I dont think Ive seen a more mature and Polished 18-20 year old since Lebron James.

- Hes already one of the most fundamentally sound big defensively in the whole league.

- Hes a great passer

- A much more versatile scorer than any other big in the league.

- Hes going to be an All-star in the next 3 years. And thats probably an underestimatation of how his career will end up.
    "Polished" "Big" "Mature" "End Up" "18-20"

Someone's speaking in their man crush code.

Thread Information